Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

20 minutes ago, MNPackfan32 said:

So you sell low? I get that they could've possibly gotten worse, but the returns on Nino and Granlund really weren't good. 

What would you say if I told you that Xavier Rhodes had a little bit of a down year compared to last year, so I'll trade you Josh Jackson for him. Jackson is younger and cheaper. I mean, the Vikings haven't won a Super Bowl with this defense, so just take what you can get for him. 

That just doesn't seem like a smart move. I should have to give you a lot more than just Josh Jackson to get Rhodes.

As I said, I'm not that close to the situation, so I don't know the true value of a Granlund and a Nino.  I could have told you in 1991 the value of a Mike Modano, Dave Gagner or Mark Tinordi, but since I haven't lived in a NHL market for most of the last 25 years, I don't pay nearly the same attention as I did then...plus, it's a different sport than the one I watched. 

But, from what I have heard (mind you, most of it comes from listening to KFAN), I don't believe either player has nearly the value you believe they do.  They've both been far too inconsistent to be considered high-enders.  Granlund maybe would have netted you more 2 years ago, but he honestly doesn't appear to have done all that much since then, and I don't think would have netted much more in the offseason.  It hasn't just been a 1-season swoon, as far as I'm aware.  They've both been fairly inconsistent for the last 2 years at least, if not throughout their entire careers to this point.  They've never truly delivered on the promise they had.  So what were you wanting Fenton to do, just sit around and hope they could become more consistent so they could get more trade value out of them? 

While the Rask deal appears to be a bust at this point, it should be noted that over the last 2 years, he's scored more goals and points than Neiterreiter has.  This year, he's kind of sucked, but that may be due to health, since he clearly hasn't been healthy since he's been there.  

In the end, I'm just playing devil's advocate, because I don't know any more than what the stats tell me, and the stats tell me Neiterreiter and Granlund haven't been all that great over the last 2 years, so what would lead anyone to believe that would change if they had remained?

As far as the Josh Jackson comparison, it would apply if Rhodes has another subpar year.  They may not get a whole lot more than Josh Jackson if that happens.  

Edited by swede700

23 minutes ago, swede700 said:

As I said, I'm not that close to the situation, so I don't know the true value of a Granlund and a Nino.  I could have told you in 1991 the value of a Mike Modano, Dave Gagner or Mark Tinordi, but since I haven't lived in a NHL market for most of the last 25 years, I don't pay nearly the same attention as I did then...plus, it's a different sport than the one I watched. 

But, from what I have heard (mind you, most of it comes from listening to KFAN), I don't believe either player has nearly the value you believe they do.  They've both been far too inconsistent to be considered high-enders.  Granlund maybe would have netted you more 2 years ago, but he honestly doesn't appear to have done all that much since then, and I don't think would have netted much more in the offseason.  It hasn't just been a 1-season swoon, as far as I'm aware.  They've both been fairly inconsistent for the last 2 years at least, if not throughout their entire careers to this point.  They've never truly delivered on the promise they had.  So what were you wanting Fenton to do, just sit around and hope they could become more consistent so they could get more trade value out of them? 

While the Rask deal appears to be a bust at this point, it should be noted that over the last 2 years, he's scored more goals and points than Neiterreiter has.  This year, he's kind of sucked, but that may be due to health, since he clearly hasn't been healthy since he's been there.  

In the end, I'm just playing devil's advocate, because I don't know any more than what the stats tell me, and the stats tell me Neiterreiter and Granlund haven't been all that great over the last 2 years, so what would lead anyone to believe that would change if they had remained?

As far as the Josh Jackson comparison, it would apply if Rhodes has another subpar year.  They may not get a whole lot more than Josh Jackson if that happens.  

Idk how back to back years of Granlund at 69 and 67 points isn't great or consistent? Working his way into his prime he's basically a 20 goal/70 point player. That's really good. There's nothing subpar about Granlund.

I'm just saying, a guy with Granlund's skill at 26/27 coming off basically 2 70 point seasons, that's pretty damn valuable. Especially when he's never played with an elite shooter. Granlund's value should've been through the roof. Granlund is every bit if not more the player than Mark Stone. 

Stone fetched a top 19 year old prospect, a bottom 6 forward and a 2nd round pick.

Edited by MNPackfan32

You might not think baseball when you look outside, but the Twins will be ready to play ball exactly one month from Thursday. Imagine sitting at Target Field, looking at green grass as Twins players rush out from the dugout for the top of the first inning. We're almost there. 

First, Twins head groundskeeper Larry DeVito and his eight full-time staff members have to remove the snow and grow grass before the chalk and mowers come out. This week they plowed the warning track and turned on the in-ground heating system that brings the soil to between 63 to 64 degrees in order to grow grass.

"We strive to be as good as anybody else but sometimes the elements create a challenge for us," he said.

https://wccoradio.radio.com/articles/one-month-out-opening-day-twins-groundskeeping-staff-preparing-target-field?fbclid=IwAR267nYQ6ecuuwRe_ppQDWKsNQEApVIzhMrpPOzFVPu7sfvGm2HEc03edLg

Edited by vike daddy

The Gophers men's basketball team should go ahead and fire Richard Pitino, especially if this season keeps going as badly as it is.  The guy does not develop players well, proof being Michael Hurt who hasn't improved what so every over three years, McBrayer is a little better passer but overall is the same player he was when he came outside of adding 20 pounds or so.  Not to mention Amir Coffey who has just flat lined and his ball handling is awful and he is the PG more often than not, just terrible.  Pitinio cannot seem to recruit all that well either, only reason he still has a job is his last name, and assuming he can bring some dudes in which he has not.  Sucks for Jordan Murphy who is a historic player for the program but might end up accomplishing nothing really if this season keeps going like it is.  Heck is there any way Rick can come back and be the head coach with his son moving to an assistant role, I doubt it but there are not many options...

Possible options who knows, maybe Ryan Saunders if the Wolves fire him but he does seem like a pro coach and not sure he would like college and if JB Bickerstaff and stick around the NBA Ryan can and he is a better coach than JB I feel.  I would love to have Fred Hoiberg as well, is a super long shot but did great things at Iowa State and is a big time coach no doubt, just not sure if he wants to come back to Minnesota or not after playing here a little bit while in the NBA.

PS Royce White is going into the MMA and trying that out, hope the best for him but most likely he gets completely dominated, not sure he has the fight needed to be just that, a fighter.  

24 hours until the Loons opener!

I have waffles, bacon and bourbon lined up for brunch, followed up with grilled wings and then pulled pork tacos and tequila ready for after the game. 

First beer is at 6:25 for some Arsenal vs Tottenham action. 

Best day of the year, just ahead of Draft day.

• Like 3