Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

4 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

The way I see it, if the Wolves do not make the playoffs, Thibs should be fired (heck, maybe even if we do). The only thing that's been as advertised with him is the fact that he runs players into the ground. He's supposed to be a defensive mastermind - our defense sucks. He's supposed to be a motivator - two of our biggest stars look lazy half the time. He was utterly unprepared for life without Butler. He's utterly incapable of playing to the athleticism of the team. Butler may not like it if Thibs were canned, but I think he'd prefer playing for someone next year who played to the team's strengths, put up more W's, and who could adapt when things went wrong.

A new coach is going to make your stars play harder? Good luck.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

A new coach is going to make your stars play harder? Good luck.

If your boss/manager creates a difficult environment to work, people aren’t motivated to work their hardest. 

If your boss/manager creates an environment that is enjoyable, people will work harder. 

It’s human nature. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

There are also people that take pride in doing their best work and others that coast because they can regardless of the workplace environment. That's dependent on the individual. 

People also tend to work harder when they're having fun and aren't exhausted. Good coaches make players enjoy playing for them, not dread it.

6 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

There are also people that take pride in doing their best work and others that coast because they can regardless of the workplace environment. That's dependent on the individual. 

There is internal and external motivation. The coach is one source of external motivation while internal motivation is dependent on the individual.

It is a lot easier to change external motivation than internal motivation. An individual's internal motivation can change throughout their life but it is comparatively rare. The easiest thing to change is the external motivation. A good coach will be able to find out what motivates their players and use that to keep them motivated. Sure, there are some people that are tough nuts to crack. Overall, when it is more than one player the signs point towards the coach.

Again, I don't know if Thibs is the right coach for the Wolves, but I don't know that a change there is going to get players to miraculously live up to their potential. The Bulls let go of Thibs, replaced him with Hoiberg, and it was a horrible move. He was supposed to be this new age offensive mastermind, and a guy that understood young players. The veterans ran him over and the team has gotten consistently worse. Butler was part of that group, as was Taj. 

When has Wiggins consistently lived up to his billing? Not in college, and not in the pros under either coach.

Who cares about the Wolves when the Twins have just put up 8 in an inning against the Astros. Nice to have the Twins bat around. The whole offense is hitting today, or maybe it's that McCullers didn't get a good feel for the ball, but it was mainly his curve that was working for him, everything else was getting hit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Again, I don't know if Thibs is the right coach for the Wolves, but I don't know that a change there is going to get players to miraculously live up to their potential. The Bulls let go of Thibs, replaced him with Hoiberg, and it was a horrible move. He was supposed to be this new age offensive mastermind, and a guy that understood young players. The veterans ran him over and the team has gotten consistently worse. Butler was part of that group, as was Taj. 

When has Wiggins consistently lived up to his billing? Not in college, and not in the pros under either coach.

I think the biggest shortcoming I see with Thibs is not listening to his vets. That's my biggest problem with him.

You definitely have a point with Wiggins. He may never get it, but I don't think he is currently being put in a position to thrive either. Noe that goes both ways, too. If Thibs doesn't trust a guy he's not gonna lean on him, and Wiggs hasn't given Thibs much reason to trust him. However, right or wrong, the coach is gonna go before the player if the player has the potential to be an all-star. I don't think Wiggins is a "coach killer", but his lack of development/regression will get the coach fired before it gets him traded. It's just how it works. 

Once again though, I don't think Wiggins' lack of production is the only thing that gets Thibs fired.

1 hour ago, The Gnat said:

Who cares about the Wolves when the Twins have just put up 8 in an inning against the Astros. 

Who cares about the Twins (OR Wolves) when the Loons just signed Alexi Gomez

Edited by Heimdallr

3 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

The only thing that's been as advertised with him is the fact that he runs players into the ground. He's supposed to be a defensive mastermind - our defense sucks. He's supposed to be a motivator - two of our biggest stars look lazy half the time. He was utterly unprepared for life without Butler. He's utterly incapable of playing to the athleticism of the team.

See, I think it shows growth in his ability to develop as a coach in other ways. No he hasn't gotten the defense turned around, but what about the fact that the offense is just behind a couple of all-time great teams? He brought in better fits for his offense. And while the defense may have regressed, the offense improved.