Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Heimdallr

Gophers, Wolves and Loons, oh my! (MN Sports Thread)

Recommended Posts

Houston in 4 is my thoughts for the Wolves as well. Houston is a terrible match-up for them, because all Houston does is shoot threes. They'll probably hit 15 more every game than the Wolves do, even if the Wolves/Rockets hit the same number of shots, Wolves now lose by 15 just because of 3's.  So the Wolves only way to win is to get to the line a lot, shoot a higher percentage, and get all the turnovers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, disaacs said:

I practically grew up at the Met Center, since Bloomington is my hometown.  In fact, my high school graduation was held at the Met Center shortly before the North Stars left.  I also lived down the street from the X while they were building it, but moved away before it was finished.

Unfortunately, I will never feel about the Wild what I felt about the North Stars.  They aren't the same...I don't feel the same attachment to Suter and Parise that I felt for Broten, Ciccarelli, Gagner, Frantisek "Frank" Musil...and my favorite players Basil McRae and Shane Churla.  People will say they don't like the fighting...but it's not about the fighting for me...it's about the hard-hitting play....that's what I like.  It's toughness...to me, the game today is too much about pretty play and wide-open skating.  That's not my cup of tea.  I like gritty play.  If I wanted to watch wide-open, pretty skating, I'd turn the channel to watching Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski and Kristi Yamaguchi.  

I know this makes you a little teary eyed

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As she wraps up one of the most successful careers in the history of both professional and international women’s basketball, Lindsay Whalen is named the 12th head coach in Gopher Women’s Basketball history

Mark Coyle today announced that Lindsay Whalen, one of the most decorated players in women’s basketball history, will return to the University of Minnesota as the new head women’s basketball coach at her alma mater. Whalen will play one final season with the Lynx, this upcoming season, before retiring from the WNBA.

https://kfan.iheart.com/featured/gopher-blog/content/2018-04-12-university-of-minnesota-names-lindsay-whalen-new-head-coach-of-wbb/?cmp=managed_social

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, disaacs said:

I practically grew up at the Met Center, since Bloomington is my hometown.  In fact, my high school graduation was held at the Met Center shortly before the North Stars left.  I also lived down the street from the X while they were building it, but moved away before it was finished.

Unfortunately, I will never feel about the Wild what I felt about the North Stars.  They aren't the same...I don't feel the same attachment to Suter and Parise that I felt for Broten, Ciccarelli, Gagner, Frantisek "Frank" Musil...and my favorite players Basil McRae and Shane Churla.  People will say they don't like the fighting...but it's not about the fighting for me...it's about the hard-hitting play....that's what I like.  It's toughness...to me, the game today is too much about pretty play and wide-open skating.  That's not my cup of tea.  I like gritty play.  If I wanted to watch wide-open, pretty skating, I'd turn the channel to watching Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski and Kristi Yamaguchi.  

I, too, graduated in the Met Center! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats to Whalen on the Gopher's job. She should be a good option as a recruiter and if she builds out an assistant coaching staff that can really coach it up, should help the program. 

Also, nice job by the Twins and congrats to Joe Mauer. He's the 3rd player in Twins history (Rod Carew and Kirby Puckett the other two) getting two thousand hits as a Twin. Not only that, he drove in 3 of the Twins runs in their 4-0 win last night. I know the White Sox aren't that good, but Berrios just dominated them. He might end up being the staff ace by end of the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Berrios already, likely, was/is the ace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, vike daddy said:

As she wraps up one of the most successful careers in the history of both professional and international women’s basketball, Lindsay Whalen is named the 12th head coach in Gopher Women’s Basketball history

Mark Coyle today announced that Lindsay Whalen, one of the most decorated players in women’s basketball history, will return to the University of Minnesota as the new head women’s basketball coach at her alma mater. Whalen will play one final season with the Lynx, this upcoming season, before retiring from the WNBA.

https://kfan.iheart.com/featured/gopher-blog/content/2018-04-12-university-of-minnesota-names-lindsay-whalen-new-head-coach-of-wbb/?cmp=managed_social

When I first heard the rumor last week, I laughed it off because I actually didn't believe she'd be a serious option.  I'm absolutely stunned, considering she has absolutely no coaching experience...except for coaching out on the floor as a player.  Well, she certainly is a hard worker, developing herself into a HOF player...now let's see if she can develop herself into a HOF coach.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it’s outstanding that she got the job. Not only from a local angle, but you have to imagine that having not only one of the greatest college woman’s player, but one of the best pro woman’s player is a huge recruiting tool. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rpmwr19 said:

Berrios already, likely, was/is the ace.

The only reason he didn't start opening day was that they staggered the rotation to let Berrios pitch in Puerto Rico next week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, disaacs said:

When I first heard the rumor last week, I laughed it off because I actually didn't believe she'd be a serious option.  I'm absolutely stunned, considering she has absolutely no coaching experience...except for coaching out on the floor as a player.  Well, she certainly is a hard worker, developing herself into a HOF player...now let's see if she can develop herself into a HOF coach.  

Steve Kerr had no coaching experience either.

Arguably the two greatest minds currently in the women's game gave glowing reviews of her.

Press conference is at 3 pm. Will be interesting to see how often the "no coaching experience" comes up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

It’s interesting that she’ll still play for the Lynx, though. 

Dawn Staley did that for 6 years, coaching at Temple and playing for Charlotte and Houston in the summer. And Whalen will do that while living in the same town for both jobs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I think it’s outstanding that she got the job. Not only from a local angle, but you have to imagine that having not only one of the greatest college woman’s player, but one of the best pro woman’s player is a huge recruiting tool. 

Yep. She can just whip out her 4 rings and say something about being able to get these if you come to Minnesota

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×