Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

4 hours ago, disaacs said:

Even if you don't include the greatest WNBA franchise ever, the discussion still isn't close...it's the Vikings.  With the structure of the other leagues as they are, none of the other teams (Twins, Wild, Wolves) are all that close.  They are playoff contenders, but they aren't anywhere near championship contenders...and right now, the Wild are on their way back down to potentially not even being playoff contenders.  Their peak was 2 years ago.  

Yep. I was interested to see what everybody here said but I went:

Vikings

-------------

Timberwolves

Twins

----------------

Wild

The Vikings have the Ownership and I believe the coach to win them a championship. They have a very good chance this season.

I thought it was a disappointing season for the Wolves, but 1 or 2 free agents can transform this team from decent to legitimate championship contenders. The Twins are flirting with being decent, I like the guys that are in charge right now.

The Wild feel like a lost cause. $15,000,000 committed to Parise and Suter for another 7 years? This team would need a miracle to win a cup before 2030.

11 minutes ago, MNPackfan32 said:

Yep. I was interested to see what everybody here said but I went:

Vikings

-------------

Timberwolves

Twins

----------------

Wild

The Vikings have the Ownership and I believe the coach to win them a championship. They have a very good chance this season.

I thought it was a disappointing season for the Wolves, but 1 or 2 free agents can transform this team from decent to legitimate championship contenders. The Twins are flirting with being decent, I like the guys that are in charge right now.

The Wild feel like a lost cause. $15,000,000 committed to Parise and Suter for another 7 years? This team would need a miracle to win a cup before 2030.

That's fair.  My opinion on the Wolves is that they will continue to be snakebitten because I'm not confident that Thibs is the right coach to develop KAT and Wiggins, who are the true keys to the future of the team, because once Butler leaves (which he will), they will determine everything.  You can't count on 1 or 2 free agents, because the team just doesn't have the cap room to even bring in 1 or 2 quality free agents with the contracts they already have on the books...it's all about the development of the players already there and drafting better players.

I am not confident that the Twins will ever be able to compete on a consistent level because of the lack of any sort of salary cap.  They may get a short window, as the Royals did, but I have zero confidence that they can compete seriously in a short series, unless they can magically avoid the Yankees...since it's clear that the franchise is psychologically impotent against them, regardless of whoever is on the Yankees or Twins roster.

But, as you said, with the Wild, they're done.  Their window is gone and will likely need to completely rebuild once again.    

• Like 1

To the point of the Wolves, I question if any team is truly close to passing up the Warriors and Rockets (and I'll throw in the Celtics too). To me, that outweighs the impact that one or two roster additions can have.

I have to say, I've enjoyed how resilient the Twins have been as of late. With the bats seemingly cooling off now, the pitching has stayed strong and the Twins are finding ways to win games (and sometimes still finding ways to still boot them away). And getting back to back nice starts by Ordorizzi and Berrios is huge as both of them needed to get on track (or in Berrios case back on track). Especially with Cleveland not playing their best ball thus far this season, the Twins have a shot to take the central even after their terrible stretch.  However, the wild card might already be gone.

On 5/14/2018 at 7:22 PM, MNPackfan32 said:

Had this conversation with a friend today, interested to see what you guys think.

We all know that Minnesota is in a championship drought, rank them most likely to least likely to break the drought. Wild, Wolves, Vikings and Twins.

We're fans of MN sports teams, we can't have nice things. 

• Like 1

On 5/14/2018 at 7:22 PM, MNPackfan32 said:

Had this conversation with a friend today, interested to see what you guys think.

We all know that Minnesota is in a championship drought, rank them most likely to least likely to break the drought. Wild, Wolves, Vikings and Twins.

Vikings
- small step -
Twins
- large step -
Wild
Wolves

Why that order, in particular for the last two, the reason that the Wild are over the Wolves is because a hot goalie can win you the whole thing. If Dubs were to get hot in the playoffs and give up a goal or two per game throughout the playoffs, you can win it all with that, even with Parise getting injured, and Koivu disappearing in the playoffs.

Twins are losing Jason Castro for the year.

https://www.mlb.com/twins/news/knee-injury-costs-jason-castro-rest-of-season/c-276965450

This move probably helps them offensively, but will hurt them defensively. I am curious to see what Garver looks like with a bunch of playing time. I could see him taking this opportunity and going into next season as the starter, especially if he hits decently well. I think that Garver could hit .270 with 12-15 HR's a year and that wouldn't be bad.

So there is supposedly an internal rift with KAT and the Timberwolves. What could possibly be the issue here because imo he's the most valuable player we have and the Wolves would be ridiculous to not make him happy. Especially in a player driven league.

18 hours ago, TENINCH said:

So there is supposedly an internal rift with KAT and the Timberwolves. What could possibly be the issue here because imo he's the most valuable player we have and the Wolves would be ridiculous to not make him happy. Especially in a player driven league.

Thibs is murdering them on the court, is inflexible with his system, and is playing a style of basketball that cannot compete with the Warriors and Rockets. Other than that, I don’t know what could be the problem...