Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

Mauer is out for the Twins with concussion like symptoms. It's a shame because he hasn't been bad for the Twins this season. We've had a lot of offensive pieces miss time with Buxton (who might not have a high average but when he's on base he helps the offense) and Sano and now Mauer. Managed to get a win against the Brewers. They have a solid team, but I'd love to have taken 2 out of 3 from them. The Twins either seem to hit a little bit and pitch poorly or pitch well and not hit. Need to get that balanced out before the Indians get hot and we're playing too much catch up.

As for the Wolves, I don't think that Thibs is the ideal coach for this team. However, I do think that this team needs to learn how to play under a coach that isn't their ideal. I doubt there's much/if any rift with KAT, but I feel like we have one more year of Thibs and then he and Butler will be gone.

15 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

So what do we know about Paul Fenton and can he help the Wild get better?

@MNPackfan32 do you like this hire?

I really don't have enough hockey knowledge to know if it's a good hire. Probably is, we are buried. $15m/yr is committed to Parise and Suter through 2025. 

Maybe Fenton is the GOAT GM and we will win a cup with the core we have now, I doubt it, but Fenton is really starting with 2 strikes already against him. 

In my opinion, Parise/Suter/Koivu are more a cancer than leaders. I really think this team needs a reset. I hope I'm wrong.

1 minute ago, MNPackfan32 said:

I really don't have enough hockey knowledge to know if it's a good hire. Probably is, we are buried. $15m/yr is committed to Parise and Suter through 2025. 

Maybe Fenton is the GOAT GM and we will win a cup with the core we have now, I doubt it, but Fenton is really starting with 2 strikes already against him. 

In my opinion, Parise/Suter/Koivu are more a cancer than leaders. I really think this team needs a reset. I hope I'm wrong.

Is Koivu in a contract with a no trade clause? He's invisible on the ice.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Is Koivu in a contract with a no trade clause? He's invisible on the ice.

I'm 95% sure it's a no move clause. He is trash. Absolute garbage. The Wild have stayed loyal to him and sent denied Haula and Tuch quality ice time with better linemates so that Koivu would stay on the top lines. Him and Charlie Coyle, both are just repulsive hockey players.

4 hours ago, TENINCH said:

So what do we know about Paul Fenton and can he help the Wild get better?

@MNPackfan32 do you like this hire?

Hugely responsible for the drafting success the Predators have had. He’s basically run it for them the last nine years. 

7 hours ago, rpmwr19 said:

Hugely responsible for the drafting success the Predators have had. He’s basically run it for them the last nine years. 

Which is the only way the Wild can get any better in the future because they aren't going to win with the players they have currently.  

Phil Hughes was DFA'd. I feel bad for him because he's just had his career ruined by injuries now, but the Twins did the right thing by DFA'ing him, I'm sure he'll ask for release. Yes, it means they'll be paying him for nothing, but they were doing that already, and opening up a forty man roster spot was smart.

Also, nice win by the Twins yesterday. Too bad Gardy didn't get himself ejected, that would have gotten a nice cheer from the crowd. Also just saw the Rosario play to score on the sacrifice fly. Rosario might be the best base runner in baseball, not the fastest, not the best base stealer, but best base runner, he always get the extra base, and he makes extra bases out of nothing.

3 hours ago, The Gnat said:

Also just saw the Rosario play to score on the sacrifice fly. Rosario might be the best base runner in baseball, not the fastest, not the best base stealer, but best base runner, he always get the extra base, and he makes extra bases out of nothing.

Since I started paying pretty close attention to the Twins again early last year, Eddie has been my favorite player by far. Just so well-rounded!

Oh, and Berrios was straight FILTHY last night!

I realize it's against a poor Tigers line-up, but Lance Lynn finally looked good in a start. Hopefully that's a sign of things to come because how he's started this year is not even remotely like him.

Also good to get Dozier's bat going. Like Lynn, definitely not playing at the level he should be playing at. If he can start hitting again, all of a sudden the line-up looks a whole lot more dangerous.

On 5/22/2018 at 12:43 AM, rpmwr19 said:

A little overkill... But yes, Koivu has a no move clause. 

I honestly don't think it is overkill. Those two players in particular have played like fringe roster guys. Especially Coyle. Koivu is an average to decent defender but his skating is very meh and his offensive skill is 4th line. I really don't know what Coyle offers. He's big? He doesn't play big. He's soft, doesn't work all that hard, isn't a good skater or defender and doesn't show much in the way of skill. 

12, 11, 21, 18, 11. That's his goal totals. One time 20 goal scorer. I think the Wild are stuck, who wants to trade for that? I feel like he has been handed every chance to succeed, but maybe he needs different linemates? I think somebody needs to light a fire under him. I'm not saying he should play dirty, but there is no edge or attitude from him. Look at some of these power forwards, they are bullies, Could has none of that.

Coyle played most of last season hurt. An excuse, maybe, but he just had surgery on both wrists and was barely able to hold on to the stick by the end of the year. 

From the sound of it, he probably shouldn’t have been playing.  Calling him soft or saying he doesn’t work hard really is nonsensical. 

8 hours ago, rpmwr19 said:

Coyle played most of last season hurt. An excuse, maybe, but he just had surgery on both wrists and was barely able to hold on to the stick by the end of the year. 

From the sound of it, he probably shouldn’t have been playing.  Calling him soft or saying he doesn’t work hard really is nonsensical. 

I disagree. Watch him play. He plays soft. He isn't a grinder. I'm not a Parise apologist at all, but if Coyle worked half as hard and put his body on the line like Zach, he'd probably be a 20 goal scorer every year. Coyle doesn't want it.