Heimdallr

Gophers, Wolves and Loons, oh my! (MN Sports Thread)

15 hours ago, The Gnat said:

I realize it's against a poor Tigers line-up, but Lance Lynn finally looked good in a start. Hopefully that's a sign of things to come because how he's started this year is not even remotely like him.

Also good to get Dozier's bat going. Like Lynn, definitely not playing at the level he should be playing at. If he can start hitting again, all of a sudden the line-up looks a whole lot more dangerous.

Might have saved his job with that start

“Watch him play” is a lazy argument, and implies that, despite being a fan of the team, I don’t watch them. Coyle’s “Want to” isn’t the problem. He’s as hard a worker as they come off the ice in terms of his preparation; does he play as physical all the time as you’d like to see a guy his size play? Probably not, but that’s the problem with this entire team.

Coyle isn’t the issue and his contract isn’t some albatross that handcuffs the team. He’s paid like a second/third line player and that’s where his production falls too. 11 goals in a season where he missed 16 games due to a leg injury and was limited by injuries to both wrist for a good part of the rest of the year is not awful. He was over a .5ppg player; production fitting the contract he’s signed to. 

9 hours ago, rpmwr19 said:

“Watch him play” is a lazy argument, and implies that, despite being a fan of the team, I don’t watch them. Coyle’s “Want to” isn’t the problem. He’s as hard a worker as they come off the ice in terms of his preparation; does he play as physical all the time as you’d like to see a guy his size play? Probably not, but that’s the problem with this entire team.

Coyle isn’t the issue and his contract isn’t some albatross that handcuffs the team. He’s paid like a second/third line player and that’s where his production falls too. 11 goals in a season where he missed 16 games due to a leg injury and was limited by injuries to both wrist for a good part of the rest of the year is not awful. He was over a .5ppg player; production fitting the contract he’s signed to. 

I guess we are just watching different players. I know a lot of people still like the "upside" but even a guy like Greenway came up and put in some physical work and played big on the puck. That just isn't Coyle's game. He doesn't want to take the abuse, he doesn't want to get those dirty goals. Coyle doesn't play the way Nino, Staal, Parise, Granny play. Coyle wants to play the way Zucker plays.

That leads into the next discussion. Zucker and Dumba. Those are Fenton's first big decisions. I'd try to get Dumba done first, I thought he really improved this year. Zucker is kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't deal IMO. He's a guy who has been hurt a lot, doesn't produce in the playoffs, but has elite speed and if he leaves where does our speed come from? 

I'd give Dumba priority as well. Call me crazy but I think I'd be shopping Zucker and Staal this off season could be prime sell-high candidates.