Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

15 hours ago, The Gnat said:

I realize it's against a poor Tigers line-up, but Lance Lynn finally looked good in a start. Hopefully that's a sign of things to come because how he's started this year is not even remotely like him.

Also good to get Dozier's bat going. Like Lynn, definitely not playing at the level he should be playing at. If he can start hitting again, all of a sudden the line-up looks a whole lot more dangerous.

Might have saved his job with that start

“Watch him play” is a lazy argument, and implies that, despite being a fan of the team, I don’t watch them. Coyle’s “Want to” isn’t the problem. He’s as hard a worker as they come off the ice in terms of his preparation; does he play as physical all the time as you’d like to see a guy his size play? Probably not, but that’s the problem with this entire team.

Coyle isn’t the issue and his contract isn’t some albatross that handcuffs the team. He’s paid like a second/third line player and that’s where his production falls too. 11 goals in a season where he missed 16 games due to a leg injury and was limited by injuries to both wrist for a good part of the rest of the year is not awful. He was over a .5ppg player; production fitting the contract he’s signed to. 

9 hours ago, rpmwr19 said:

“Watch him play” is a lazy argument, and implies that, despite being a fan of the team, I don’t watch them. Coyle’s “Want to” isn’t the problem. He’s as hard a worker as they come off the ice in terms of his preparation; does he play as physical all the time as you’d like to see a guy his size play? Probably not, but that’s the problem with this entire team.

Coyle isn’t the issue and his contract isn’t some albatross that handcuffs the team. He’s paid like a second/third line player and that’s where his production falls too. 11 goals in a season where he missed 16 games due to a leg injury and was limited by injuries to both wrist for a good part of the rest of the year is not awful. He was over a .5ppg player; production fitting the contract he’s signed to. 

I guess we are just watching different players. I know a lot of people still like the "upside" but even a guy like Greenway came up and put in some physical work and played big on the puck. That just isn't Coyle's game. He doesn't want to take the abuse, he doesn't want to get those dirty goals. Coyle doesn't play the way Nino, Staal, Parise, Granny play. Coyle wants to play the way Zucker plays.

That leads into the next discussion. Zucker and Dumba. Those are Fenton's first big decisions. I'd try to get Dumba done first, I thought he really improved this year. Zucker is kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't deal IMO. He's a guy who has been hurt a lot, doesn't produce in the playoffs, but has elite speed and if he leaves where does our speed come from? 

• 2 weeks later...

Under the watchful eye of three former major league all-stars, Vikings defensive end Everson Griffen proved that he can hit a baseball even farther than he can knock a quarterback. One of five members of the defending NFC North champions invited to take batting practice before the Twins’ game against the Cleveland Indians on Friday night, Griffen supplied the highlight by drilling a no-doubt line drive deep into Target Field’s left-field bleachers.

Griffen: “I want more. I want more batting practice. I haven’t swung a bat, really, since 2009, so for me to come out here and get one over makes me feel good.”

Teammates Stefon Diggs, Harrison Smith, Adam Thielen and Kirk Cousins took their swings, as well, but Griffen — who played a lot of baseball while growing up — had the most impressive session in front of a crowd that included three former major league all-stars: Twins manager Paul Molitor, former Twins great Tony Oliva and longtime center fielder Torii Hunter.

Molitor:  “Their swings were … a little bit unpolished. If you get ’em out there for a week, we could do something.”

https://www.twincities.com/2018/06/01/vikings-end-everson-griffen-shows-teammates-how-to-go-deep-at-target-field/

31 minutes ago, rpmwr19 said:

QB depth chart is now a redshirt freshmen followed by a freshmen walk on. 

And Viramontes looked like the third-best option this spring.

Annexstad isn't a normal walk-on. He had multiple Power 5 scholarship offers but chose to walk on here. He'll be on scholarship in January, I can almost guarantee it.

Yeah, it'd be nice if we could've gotten a year out of Viramontes because it would've allowed us to redshirt ZA, but I'm not too worried about it. The plan has always been to bring in two QBs in the 2019 class. We have one committed, just working on getting the second.

Free agent defensive lineman Ra’Shede Hageman has been arrested for the second straight year.

The Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that Hageman was arrested on a fourth-degree misdemeanor charge of driving while impaired early on Saturday morning. Hennepin County jail records show he was released 90 minutes after being brought in without having to post bail.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/03/free-agent-dl-rashede-hageman-arrested-for-dwi/

9 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Free agent defensive lineman Ra’Shede Hageman has been arrested for the second straight year.

The Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that Hageman was arrested on a fourth-degree misdemeanor charge of driving while impaired early on Saturday morning. Hennepin County jail records show he was released 90 minutes after being brought in without having to post bail.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/03/free-agent-dl-rashede-hageman-arrested-for-dwi/

That guy just can't get out of his own way. 

1 hour ago, TENINCH said:

Yesterdays Twins game was AWESOME!!

Rosario went nuts!!

I was bummed that I was driving back to the cities and just listening to the game instead of watching it. It was a back and forth affair that felt a lot like the Twins were going to lose a close game again after Encarnacion's three run HR and the poor pen pitching, but when Rosario got his second to put the Twins back in front, that was great (helps I have him on a fantasy baseball team too), and when he came up in the 9th, you just kind of had a feeling that he was going to crush one again.