Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

12 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Pretty garbage return for Dozier, but he was having a pretty garbage season. Would have been nice to trade him when his value was high, but he had to be moved for something. 

True.  Like Lavelle said yesterday, the players alone have no one to blame except themselves for forcing Falvey and Levine to make the trades.  Their inconsistency as a team forced their hands and get what they could.  

1 minute ago, Heimdallr said:

so what are the chances that any of these prospects that they traded for ever actually make the team? 

Probably 50-50 at best.  But, who would have thought that Escobar would turn out as well as he did when Ryan traded Liriano for him.

Edited by swede700

Giving ourselves some lottery tickets at least. Trading five guys and getting 11 prospects (plus a second basemen to finish the year). 

Forsythe was a decent player his last two years in Tampa, but he’s a career .240s hitter than may get you 10-15 HRs... doubtful he’s back next season. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

I'm hoping someone like Nick Gordon gets some time at 2nd. 

Agreed.

Overall, I think the Twins did decently well in terms of what they got back in trades. Duke and Pressley both netted more than I thought that they would. I would say the same for Lynn. I can't believe the Yankees gave us anything for him. The return on Dozier was disappointing, basically getting a good prospect back for him, but he's been poor this year, so I don't know why the Dodgers would pay more. I'm assuming we'll hear in the next day or so that Ervin Santana, Robbie Grossman, and Logan Morrison all end up on waivers to see if they can be moved as well.

14 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

so what are the chances that any of these prospects that they traded for ever actually make the team? 

I would think that we'll see about 2-3 of those prospects on the team at some point. That's not including the one player from the Yankees we got for Lynn who has been up with the Yankees before. I'd guarantee that we see him and see him this year. Overall the Twins I think did a solid job on moving players who didn't have a ton of value to be moved and getting prospects that might not be great, but it's no trading JJ Hardy for nothing, or less than nothing.

10 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

What is a designated player?

In MLS, each team gets 3 "designated player" slots, where they can pay a player a ton of money, and it doesn't count against the salary cap. It is designed so teams can bring in big name European players without crippling their salary cap situation. 

I would guess most starting caliber players make around $200k-$300k per year, but someone like Darwin Quintero (our first DP) makes $1.6M. Someone like Giovinco probably makes more than our entire roster. 

Christian Ramirez sold to LAFC. :(

Face of the franchise for 5 years. Leading American goalscorer in the world for many years. 

This is my all-time favorite MN sports memory: https://fiftyfive.one/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/s193.mp4

Absolutely ridiculous atmosphere in person. It was a huge must-win, late season game against a bitter rival (defending champion, and one of the supporter's favorite chants was F** THE COSMOS, even when not playing them), the game was chippy for all 90 minutes, and we were playing a man short due to a BS red card. Everyone in the stadium was just tense the whole time. Getting that late goal was just pure Ramirez magic. (The assist also came from Justin Davis, my favorite player from the NASL days. After every game he'd go over to the supporters and chug a beer with them).