Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

38 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Gophers with a valiant effort today, a couple plays here and there were the difference.

It was a great game to build on. Sure, if all you look at is the final score it doesn’t look that impressive (even though a 16 point loss when you’re 30 point dogs doesn’t look bad). But, for those who watched the game, the Buckeyes didn’t really outplay the Gophers. Not like a team of their talent level should have. Some mistakes by the young players, a couple of missed field goals, and a few very favorable calls for the home team was the difference in this game. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1

A couple of kicks and that bogus 4th down conversion and we’d be talking about a different ball game. I think Fleck has them headed in the right direction. 

Having a backfield of Smith, Brooks, and now Ibrahim will be nice next year. I think The QB is for real too.

Incredible that freshmen account for 97% of the passing yards, 56% of the receiving yards, and something like 70% of the rushing yards too. The fact that they were competitive today, and gave Ohio State all they could handle in the trenches on both sides today, is encouraging. 

With the Gophers, I'm certainly encouraged, but I've been encouraged before, only to be disappointed later.  Thus far in my life, the Glen Mason era was the high point and that was a program that was respectable, but not threatening to anyone.  Otherwise, it's been moments of respectability followed by dumpster fire after dumpster fire.  I don't ask to be Ohio State...I ask to be Iowa at minimum, with the potential of being Wisconsin.  In most of the moments in my life, they've been a tick above Illinois and Indiana. 

So, it's nice that they showed they can be respectable at Ohio State, but Ohio State could have just been bored, so I don't take anything for granted.  They have to build on it and not just be respectable, but actually win some games they aren't expected to (like an Iowa or Wisconsin), and then I'll start to pay more attention.  A competitive performance at Ohio State doesn't mean anything when you got rolled by Maryland...a program you should be able to be more competitive with, or if you get beat down by Nebraska this week at home.       

Edited by swede700

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

With the Gophers, I'm certainly encouraged, but I've been encouraged before, only to be disappointed later.  Thus far in my life, the Glen Mason era was the high point and that was a program that was respectable, but not threatening to anyone.  Otherwise, it's been moments of respectability followed by dumpster fire after dumpster fire.  I don't ask to be Ohio State...I ask to be Iowa at minimum, with the potential of being Wisconsin.  In most of the moments in my life, they've been a tick above Illinois and Indiana. 

So, it's nice that they showed they can be respectable at Ohio State, but Ohio State could have just been bored, so I don't take anything for granted.  They have to build on it and not just be respectable, but actually win some games they aren't expected to (like an Iowa or Wisconsin), and then I'll start to pay more attention.  A competitive performance at Ohio State doesn't mean anything when you got rolled by Maryland...a program you should be able to be more competitive with, or if you get beat down by Nebraska this week at home.       

A big part of becoming an Iowa or Wisconsin is stability at the top. I'm hopeful that PJ will be able to bring that here.

Timberwolves played their first game last night, I didn't watch it, but ended up being a close affair with the Spurs. It'll be interesting to see if Butler is moved in the season, but until it's either he will or won't be moved, that's all the talk about the Wolves you're going to hear from local media. Every Timberwolves loss, "Will Butler again demand to be traded?", every Timberwolves win, "Would the Wolves have won had Butler been traded already?"