Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

12 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I haven’t watched a single baseball game this year, other than the one I went to at Target Field. First time there. Probably the last until they’re competitive again. I haven’t watched the World Series in close to a decade. That’s because of the competitive imbalance. It’s no fun to watch when your team is essentially eliminated from contention in May. 

Exactly and that's part of why I don't pay all that much attention.  When you go into a season knowing your team has zero chance, what's the point?  The only thing worse than being a fan of a team in the AL Central is being a fan of any team that has to play in the same division as the Yankees and Red Sox.  But, I guess if you find alienating 75% of the country and just relying on 2 teams on the East Coast, some teams on the West Coast and a team on the north side of Chicago to prop your sport up, and occasionally throwing a bone to everyone else, so be it.  Just don't expect me to participate in it or expect your sport to ever grow beyond a certain point (and more likely to recede over time).

People certainly have a right to complain about how the Pohlads run the team, but regardless of the mistakes they make in running the team, the cards are stacked against them.  They pretty much have to be perfect to even possibly get a 3-5 year window of success before they have to do it all over again (and often it's going to take another decade or more to do so).  

Edited by swede700
  • Like 3

For me, I don’t expect the Twins to compete for the World Series every year. I don’t look at MLB baseball in the same way as I do the NFL or NHL. For me, baseball is a lot like college football. I don’t expect the Twins to compete with the Yankees or Red Sox year in and year out. Just like I don’t expect the Gophers to compete with Ohio State or Michigan. But there’s no reason, other than simply being cheap, that the Twins can’t put a competitive, entertaining team on the field. Just like there’s no reason that the Gophers shouldn’t be able to build a program similar to Iowa or Wisconsin. 

I like going to a baseball game in the middle of summer, having a beer, hanging out with friends, and watching a fun game. But the Twins, in large part due to the Pohlads, aren’t even affording that to the fans. 

#MBFA

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Exactly and that's part of why I don't pay all that much attention.  When you go into a season knowing your team has zero chance, what's the point?  The only thing worse than being a fan of a team in the AL Central is being a fan of any team that has to play in the same division as the Yankees and Red Sox.  But, I guess if you find alienating 75% of the country and just relying on 2 teams on the East Coast, some teams on the West Coast and a team on the north side of Chicago to prop your sport up, and occasionally throwing a bone to everyone else, so be it.  Just don't expect me to participate in it or expect your sport to ever grow beyond a certain point (and more likely to recede over time).

Yet the twins are the only major Minnesota sports team to win it all

23 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Yet the twins are the only major Minnesota sports team to win it all

I had just become an adult the last time the Twins won it all...I'm now in my middle 40s.  That doesn't matter.  What would you have told the Cubs fan 5 years ago?  "Well, your team has won a title."  Of course, there are probably only 10 people left in the entire world that would have had a chance to witness it.  

Since the Twins last won the title, 13 of 54 World Series participants (24%) have come from the Central divisions (AL and NL).  And of those 13, 9 of them were either the Cardinals, Tigers or Indians.  The rest were from KC twice and Chicago twice (Cubs/White Sox), which means that you have 40% of the Central teams not even sniffing the World Series for nearly 30 years...and only the Twins of those remaining 4 teams have more than 4 playoff appearances in those 27 years...hell, even the Lions have more playoff appearances than that in the NFL over the same span of time).     

20 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

In a far, far different era. 

How so? I was wondering if something allowed for more parity back then. 

I don't deny that there is a lack of parity in the majors, I just find it interesting that the 1 team that's made it all the way is in the league that everyone's always bitching about.

Because they’re doing so well with Butler? He’s gone after this year, one way or the other. Sure, maybe we can hold out for an injury or closer to the trade deadline, but the first round picks at least give some flexibility to move around in the draft or for other players. It doesn’t seem like we’re really likely to get much better. 

Thibs should be fired. KAT and Wiggins should be traded to someone naive enough to believe they’ll actually try to live up to their potential someday. Blow it up. Again. 

8 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

I agree, it is a terrible trade offer. Was just wondering if there was something I wasn't seeing.

Yeah. It's not like the NFL.

The pick trading system is weird in the NBA. For example, you can't trade back to back 1st rounders, there's draft pick protection, etc.

If we did accept the 4 1st rounders, they'd probably be spread out over numerous seasons. We're talking close to 8 years before we get all 4 picks (I think they'd have to wait a season in between). And if Houston gets Butler, they're automatically the clear cut 2nd best team in the NBA so all those picks will be 27-30.

Plus, NBA drafting is extremely hit or miss even in the lottery let alone in the last few picks of the draft.

It's an absolute garbage trade offer.

If, hypothetically, the Wolves made the trade for the four firsts - it's likely that they wouldn't use all, or any, of them.  They'd be used as pieces for other trades for other players/assets - with that being said, late picks, and picks seven years down the line, aren't likely to worth that much in trades.