Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

6 minutes ago, Klomp said:

I think it might be a bit of a mirage in that we weren't as bad as we looked during that 0-5 road trip. It was just an avalanche of issues, with the Butler saga looming large and injuries that popped up. Teague missed the whole road trip, Rose missed the Portland game (which Jimmy skipped) and Wiggins missed the Sacramento game. Not only are all three guys healthy now, but we traded a guy who was skipping games and giving half effort when he did play for two guys who are very solid and know how to play the right way. We instantly have become a team with a lot of depth.

Maybe the most important development, Ticket was back in the building!

Most people will look at that from the angle of the relationship between him and the team, which is no doubt important. But I'm also looking at the importance of him being in the arena watching the team play well and play free. The stank aura around the team is gone, and hopefully KG will be able to spread that message around to the TNT folks. This team is different, and the trade has made a major impact already.

KG being back in the building is HUGE for the team. He's the only player in franchise history to mean something to the team.

If I'm KAT or Wiggy or whomever, I'm pretty excited that KG is in the stands to watch me play because he's there to legit watch the game rather than being "forced" to be there because he's getting a banner in the rafters with his number on it. He's showing interest in the players despite hating Glen Taylor with a passion and that's pretty cool.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

KG being back in the building is HUGE for the team. He's the only player in franchise history to mean something to the team.

If I'm KAT or Wiggy or whomever, I'm pretty excited that KG is in the stands to watch me play because he's there to legit watch the game rather than being "forced" to be there because he's getting a banner in the rafters with his number on it. He's showing interest in the players despite hating Glen Taylor with a passion and that's pretty cool.

KAT was the main reason KG was in the building...KAT said postgame yesterday that he had conversation with KG and asked him to come over

I watched the whole game, start to finish, last night. I haven’t done that with an NBA game in a long time. Not only did the team play well, the demeanor of the team was fun to watch. Saric and Covington seem to have fit right in, and the way Saric moves the ball is fun to watch. 

• Like 1

Twins reached out to the D'Backs about Paul Goldschmidt. I wouldn't complain if the Twins made a move for him. He's 31, but has been very consistent throughout his career. I think that trading away a couple of solid prospects would be good for him and having more OPS in the line-up would be nice as well.

• Like 1

High school football in Minnesota, I watch it form time to time, usually it is pretty bad.  But this year, the 4A game was a show.  SMB football or (St. Paul Academy/Minnehaha Academy/Blake schools), they have three standout athletes and them all being on one team is quite rare.  I think if they played in a 6A game they would look just as good also, especially Suggs.  Really special talents and all of them are JR players and will be back, combined with some other solid seniors as well on the current roster.  Have not seen this much talent on one team in a high school game in Minnesota for quite some time.  Sure could be the level of competition at 4A but I doubt it, all three of those top guys are highly ranked JR recruits in football.

Jalen Suggs #1 JR, QB/WR/DB - What a freak show athlete, played both ways, ran all over as a QB, threw long TDs and even got a 97 yard pick sicks on D.  Freak show athlete and is a super star basketball player as well.  Will have a choice of what sport to play, could be a star in both potentially just which one does he like more.

Kaden Johnson #84 JR, WR/OLB - Impressive looking player, played TE at times but just ran by everyone, is more like a WR.  Physical edge player on D as well, top prospect.

Craig McDonald #7 JR, DB/WR/RB - Another great athlete with awesome ball skills, can play DB very well and react to the football.  Is part of three just really standout athletes.

Bennett Theisen #41 SR, ILB - Going to play baseball in college I think but is a thumper as a LB, very physical and good looking athlete.

Siegel Howard #22 SR, RB - Compact back, good speed would be surprised if he did not get some DII or D III offers, solid build and speed.

Trevon Howard #25 FR, DB - Could be a star down the road, had one impressive INT in that game.

If you missed it here is a good recap of the entire game.  

https://kstp.com/sports/suggs-leads-smb-to-win-over-willmar-in-class-4a-prep-bowl-championship/5155201/

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ozzy said:

High school football in Minnesota, I watch it form time to time, usually it is pretty bad.  But this year, the 4A game was a show.  SMB football or (St. Paul Academy/Minnehaha Academy/Blake schools), they have three standout athletes and them all being on one team is quite rare.  I think if they played in a 6A game they would look just as good also, especially Suggs.  Really special talents and all of them are JR players and will be back, combined with some other solid seniors as well on the current roster.  Have not seen this much talent on one team in a high school game in Minnesota for quite some time.  Sure could be the level of competition at 4A but I doubt it, all three of those top guys are highly ranked JR recruits in football.

Jalen Suggs #1 JR, QB/WR/DB - What a freak show athlete, played both ways, ran all over as a QB, threw long TDs and even got a 97 yard pick sicks on D.  Freak show athlete and is a super star basketball player as well.  Will have a choice of what sport to play, could be a star in both potentially just which one does he like more.

Kaden Johnson #84 JR, WR/OLB - Impressive looking player, played TE at times but just ran by everyone, is more like a WR.  Physical edge player on D as well, top prospect.

Craig McDonald #7 JR, DB/WR/RB - Another great athlete with awesome ball skills, can play DB very well and react to the football.  Is part of three just really standout athletes.

Bennett Theisen #41 SR, ILB - Going to play baseball in college I think but is a thumper as a LB, very physical and good looking athlete.

Siegel Howard #22 SR, RB - Compact back, good speed would be surprised if he did not get some DII or D III offers, solid build and speed.

Trevon Howard #25 FR, DB - Could be a star down the road, had one impressive INT in that game.

If you missed it here is a good recap of the entire game.  

https://kstp.com/sports/suggs-leads-smb-to-win-over-willmar-in-class-4a-prep-bowl-championship/5155201/

How many of them end up going to Minnesota?

18 hours ago, TENINCH said:

How many of them end up going to Minnesota?

Not sure, I doubt they ever get Suggs especially since he is probably going to stick with basketball maybe.  He could be a great WR though if he wanted to.  Maybe could get McDonald or Johnson but depends on how many other offers they get.  Before yesterday Minnesota was not a high priority I am sure for most recruits, but after that massive win on the road at Wisconsin.  The biggest win in PJ Fleck's career arguably, that is huge and changes the course of the that program.  Have played surprisingly solid the last few weeks starting with that key win at home against Purdue then a solid effort against Northwestern but a loss of course... Daniel Faalele is a cornerstone prospect, biggest player in college football I believe and is a real force, huge part of that run game, not sure if PJ is the reason he came instead of Annexstad and his other teammate Dunlap from IMG.  Will be interesting to see this up coming recruiting class.  Bateman this year is a big time WR prospect as a FR and Bryce Williams has showed some things as a RB maybe but not high level same with Annexstad when healthy. Curtis Dunlap Jr has not done much unlike his teammate Faalele, he curious how he does next season.  Faalele was supposed to be the project but he has been the instant starter for awhile, and that big name JUCO QB obviously transferred and never played a down for them.

This past year Bryce Benhart is a big loss in recruiting, 6-8 athlete he is going to Nebraska and could be a super star OT, looked great for Lakeville North in their title game run.  Cole Kramer from Eden Prairie the QB that is going to the Gophers next year is ok, has a nice arm quick release but hard to tell how good he is in that offense with few weapons to pass to.  Sure best EP QB in a long time but that is not saying all that much, the fact he is a D1 recruit is impressive, he has good mobility as well.  Jason Williamson looked great for Owatonna in the title game, neat seeing him play along with these other top rated players in the title games.  Williamson is a beast RB but is obviously at a lower level.  I would assume he stays as a RB and could be a decent player in the future.  Wish they would have got Will Mostaert on Lakeville North along with his twin but maybe they wanted to play together, he went to NDSU.  

But yeah in terms of the SMB kids they would be doing good to get one of them.  Theisen is already going there for the baseball team, who knows what happens with that, and Siegel Howard as a walk on type player I would take no doubt but not sure where he is going to end up.  Again could maybe be the competition level but to me those kids really impressive, especially considering their size and overall ball skills, do not normally see that out of Minnesota high school football prospects in a championship game environment.  Was fun to watch no doubt.

5 hours ago, Klomp said:

Such a fun game!

It was flat out historic.  Cannot say I have been on the band wagon all year though, flat out dominated and played no defense on the road at Maryland, on the road at Nebraska and on the road at Illinois.  So this win on the road is crazy rare especially for this coaching staff and this program in general.  I remember when Jerry Kill and the guys beat Nebraska on the road and Nebraska was bad and even that was like a huge deal.  Awesome way to finish the year compared to last season though when the final two scores were a combined 71-0.  Will be interesting to see how they do in the bowl game, and cannot believe one coaching change on D is that important but must have been in some regard, never was a big fan of Rob Smith, I mean a D coordinator for Arkansas for two years and they were bad...but was PJs buddy on Rutgers a few years previous so go the gig.  

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Will be interesting to see how they do in the bowl game, and cannot believe one coaching change on D is that important but must have been in some regard, never was a big fan of Rob Smith, I mean a D coordinator for Arkansas for two years and they were bad...but was PJs buddy on Rutgers a few years previous so go the gig.  

Just to continue the discussion on this, Fleck announced after the game that the interim tag has been removed from Joe Rossi. He is now the Gophers DC.

Interestingly, he never was with Fleck before last season, but he was on staff at Rutgers from 2012-15 and actually succeeded Smith as the DC at Maine when Smith went to Rutgers and succeeded Smith at Rutgers when he went to the NFL for a year and later Arkansas. Rossi was a quality control coach here last year.

Quick climb for the 39-year old. He's thrilled about the promotion.

Rossi_Joe.jpg?width=300

32 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

I have to wonder about the guy running the defense before. There was just no excuse for the amount of big plays being given up to mediocre teams like Illinois, Nebraska and Maryland. Was he just incredibly bad at his job?

Yes. Always has been. 

46 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

I have to wonder about the guy running the defense before. There was just no excuse for the amount of big plays being given up to mediocre teams like Illinois, Nebraska and Maryland. Was he just incredibly bad at his job?

13 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Yes. Always has been. 

I was thinking about this earlier today. When Smith was promoted to DC at Rutgers, Fleck was already in Tampa. So he never got an up-close look at how Smith was as a DC.