Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

8 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Donato with the GW in OT last night. Off to a great start with 4 points in 3 games.

Still hoping we see another move or two before the deadline today.

Russo sounds convinced that Granlund will be moved today.

11 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Russo sounds convinced that Granlund will be moved today.

I heard that on KFAN this morning. Really not sure how I'd feel about that, obviously it depends on the return.

I'm hoping Staal and Zucker are involved in some talks as well.

Can't just trade to trade though, have to be getting at least decent/fair value for these guys.

Sounds as though Zucker talks aren't getting traction. Granlund has one year left after this year and then is due another raise... as much as I enjoy him as a player (had his jersey before he even came over here), he's not worth an $8M contract. Staal makes sense to trade because of his pending FA status, but he's someone you could re-sign too. He fits the the direction that it seems Fenton wants to go in.

It sounds as if Fenton might be targeting Kevin Fiala from the Preds as a goal scoring winger in a Granlund deal. Some kind of deal with Granlund going to Nashville (sucks that it's in division) for Fiala (22 years old) and Eeli Tolvanen (Predators 1st round pick in 2017, and another kid like Donato who had an awesome Olympics) and whatever needs to be done to even out salary for the year would be something I could get on board with.  We get younger, clear out cap space to go after some goal scorers this offseason. They're cliched Minnesotans but Anders Lee and Brock Nelson are both 20 goal scoring wingers who will be available this offseason.

I really want to keep Granlund, I'd love to see him and Kaprizov play together, but I totally understand why we would move him. I just hope we get a lot in return. I think if Granlund had better shooting talent around him, he could put up Nicklas Backstrom type numbers (60+ assists yearly). 

But money is certainly a factor. I'm surprised there isn't more noise about Spurgeon.

Spurgeon would command the biggest price for sure, but he's our best defensemen and a right hand shot. Trading him would signify the total rebuild, and I think you would then have to sell off absolutely everyone. With the team in playoff position, and on a three game win streak, trading your best defensemen would, to me, lead to the rest of the players losing faith in the new management.

If the rest of the season doesn't go well after the deadline, you can trade Spurgeon in the offseason for likely a lot more than you could at the deadline.

-----

As for Granlund, we've said the same thing about him year in and year out, he is the player he is, and that's a pass first winger.  We aren't in a position to add the type of scorer needed to make Granlund a Backstrom type player.

Kevin Hayes just went from the NYR to the Jets (our next opponent) much bigger than Granlund, a little bit lower production, and an expiring deal.

He was traded for a first rounder, a 22 year old NHL prospect, and a conditional pick (conditional on winning the cup). I would hope to get a similar caliber return for Granlund.

Fiala, Tolvanen, and a conditional pick, and I think I'd make the deal.

• Like 1