Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

It has never been a better time to be a soccer fan in MN:

Minnesota United FC - MLS - 3 straight playoff years

Minnesota United FC 2 - MLS Next Pro - inaugural season

Minneapolis City SC - USL2/NPSL - conference champions for the last 3 seasons

Minnesota Aurora - NWSL - inaugural season

Multiple other successful D3 teams.

USMNT will be 2nd-3rd in 2022 World Cup CONCACAF qualifying, and the US is hosting the 2026 World Cup (automatic qualification).

USWNT are historic perennial champions.

Multiple MN kids have gone on to great success (Caden Clark, Jackson Yueill, Ethan Finlay, Teal Bunbury, Brent Kallman, etc)

• Like 1

Wild finding their groove again, winners in 8 out of their last 10 and 6 straight. Last 3 have been 3-2 OT victories.

Marc-Andre Fleury got his first start and win on Friday night in a Wild sweater.

The Wild have a 4-point lead with 2-games in hand over the Nashville Predators for 2nd place in the Central division.

• 2 weeks later...

Twins are getting back a PTBNL as well. For closers, I would think that Alcala would be most likely in line to close. Important to note in the deal that Paddack has 3 years of control, Pagan 2, and Rogers would be a free agent at the end of the year.

• Like 1

So guessing 28 man roster:

SP:
Joe Ryan
Sonny Gray
Chris Archer
Dylan Bundy
Chris Paddock

RP:
Emilio Pagan
Tyler Duffey
Jorge Alcala
Danny Coulombe
Joe Smith
Jhon Romero
Cody Stashak
Caleb Thielbar
Josh Winder
???
???

C :
Ryan Jeffers
Gary Sanchez

IF: 
Miguel Sano
Jorge Polanco
Gio Urshela
Carlos Correa

IF/OF:
Luis Arraez
Nick Gordon

OF:
Byron Buxton
Max Kepler
Alex Kiriloff
Trevor Larnach

6 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

So guessing 28 man roster:

SP:
Joe Ryan
Sonny Gray
Chris Archer
Dylan Bundy
Chris Paddock

RP:
Emilio Pagan
Tyler Duffey
Jorge Alcala
Danny Coulombe
Joe Smith
Jhon Romero
Cody Stashak
Caleb Thielbar
Josh Winder
???
???

C :
Ryan Jeffers
Gary Sanchez

IF: 
Miguel Sano
Jorge Polanco
Gio Urshela
Carlos Correa

IF/OF:
Luis Arraez
Nick Gordon

OF:
Byron Buxton
Max Kepler
Alex Kiriloff
Trevor Larnach

Sounds like Garlick with be the 4th OF. At least for now. 

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

Paddack needs to make an impact this year. Not sure that I like this deal - who closes now? Duffey?

They weren't winning the world series this year, and they weren't signing Rogers either. The bullpen was above average the last half of last year, even after Rogers missed the last two months. I don't know how I feel about this deal, but I think I like it. 

16 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

They weren't winning the world series this year, and they weren't signing Rogers either. The bullpen was above average the last half of last year, even after Rogers missed the last two months. I don't know how I feel about this deal, but I think I like it. 

Totally get that take. I guess it depends on how you view Paddack. 3 years of team control is nice, and Wes Johnson has done a pretty good job with the clay he's been given to mold.

22 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Totally get that take. I guess it depends on how you view Paddack. 3 years of team control is nice, and Wes Johnson has done a pretty good job with the clay he's been given to mold.

His fastball left him last year....if they can fix that, they have a number 3/4 starter. I think it was worth that risk. Also, the bullpen was actually quite good in the second half last year, without Rogers for the last two months....

• Like 1

20 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

Are they going to go with a closer by committee?  I don't think it's all bad to not have a designated closer that only gets the 9th

Hard to say. I prefer the model where the best RP come in at the most crucial moment, like runners on in the seventh or eighth. I think Duran is that guy