Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

On 11/26/2022 at 6:11 PM, SemperFeist said:

That loss to Iowa stings

Every year it seems like it is a "What it coulda been" season because there's always a game here and a game there that they should have won, but for head-scratching game-plans or in-game decision-making.  This season, of all of them thus far, though is the biggest missed opportunity for Fleck considering how Iowa and Wisconsin played this year.  They should have been the ones getting destroyed by Michigan next week, not flippin' Purdue.  Especially since next year, they have virtually no shot to get to that game with their schedule and the loss of Ibrahim.  

Twins chairman Jim Pohlad on Monday informed team employees that he is stepping away from the day-to-day oversight of the team and is promoting his nephew, Joe Pohlad, to Executive Chair.

https://www.startribune.com/minnesota-twins-owner-joe-pohlad-replacing-uncle-jim-pohlad-executive-chair/600230696/

Likely won't change anything as far as day-to-day, but we'll see.  

On 11/18/2022 at 9:37 PM, JDBrocks said:

Correa was FaceTiming with the guys at the uniform debut today and still talks to Buxton and Polanco weekly about next season etc. he wants to come back and I firmly believe the FO is going to make it happen. 

You always bank on Buxton being healthy, that’s why they paid him, he’s an MVP candidate going into every season.

I’m not at my computer so cutting this short, but I think that’s a terribly pessimistic outlook and the team is in a good position to win the division with that club. The white Sox aren’t spending, and the Indians aren’t very good. The Twins with C4 have two legit mvp caliber players and a batting champion with young talent gaining experience.  Gray Mahle and Ryan are a good top 3 and I expect Maeda to come back strong.

The Pohlad news makes me significantly less confident. This feels like a duck your head move and blame the new guy because we aren’t spending this year.

• Like 1

New London – Spicer defeated Gilworth – Glyndon – Felton for the Minnesota AAA State Championship on Saturday afternoon, in a hard-fought 27-26 battle for the ages.

NLS lead for most of the 2nd half, until a couple of 4th quarter mistakes appeared to have cost them the game. But instead of folding up, they reached deep deep down and somehow snatched victory from the jaws of defeat. It came via a last-second hail mary that turned into so much more, including a heads up lateral that is sure to go down as one of the greatest moments in MN prep bowl history.

With four seconds left, New London – Spicer quarterback, Blake Schultz, dropped back and heaved the ball down US Bank Stadium’s right sideline. It fell between two defenders and right into the hands of streaking wide receiver, Grant Paffrath.

And when Paffrath realized he was going down about five yards short of the goal line, he flipped the ball back to teammate, Brycen Christensen, for an easy walk-in touchdown and the most unbelievable state championship finish in recorded history.

https://www.minnesotasportsfan.com/new-london-spicer-wins-state-championship-on-unbelievable-final-play/?fbclid=IwAR0z1v1_B4GxzJQ9bvTJIX4OU-K4TiVX4NLbIBS-FvY5FSzd49nyiZKKgas

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 3

Good showing by the US Mens National Team at the World Cup. Made it out of the group stage and into the Round of 16 with the youngest roster in the tournament. 2026 (at home!) is going to be a great contest. Almost all the starters (10 of 11?) will be entering their prime for not only the 2026 but also the 2030 World Cup, (and I think 4-5 of them will be replaced by even better, younger players) so the next 8 years will be super fun. 

There is no competition in the world that compares with the World Cup. The Super Bowl, World Series, Stanley Cup, and the Olympics are all loose change compared to the World Cup. And in 2026 the USA will finally (hopefully) have a chance at competing for a top-3 finish.

Edited by Heimdallr
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Good showing by the US Mens National Team at the World Cup. Made it out of the group stage and into the Round of 16 with the youngest roster in the tournament. 2026 (at home!) is going to be a great contest. Almost all the starters (10 of 11?) will be entering their prime for not only the 2026 but also the 2030 World Cup, (and I think 4-5 of them will be replaced by even better, younger players) so the next 8 years will be super fun. 

There is no competition in the world that compares with the World Cup. The Super Bowl, World Series, Stanley Cup, and the Olympics are all loose change compared to the World Cup. And in 2026 the USA will finally (hopefully) have a chance at competing for a top-3 finish.

It would help if a top tier finisher emerged over the next 4 years. Maybe Reyna becomes that. Pulisic feels like he’s topped out, but there may still be some room for improvement. Maybe Reyna or Weah become that in the next 4 years, but I hope the renewed interest in soccer over the past few years brings out a young phenom. But if we want to give Erling Haaland citizenship….

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

It would help if a top tier finisher emerged over the next 4 years. Maybe Reyna becomes that. Pulisic feels like he’s topped out, but there may still be some room for improvement. Maybe Reyna or Weah become that in the next 4 years, but I hope the renewed interest in soccer over the past few years brings out a young phenom. But if we want to give Erling Haaland citizenship….

I agree and think Pulisic has topped out. He is a Premiere League borderline starter or elite depth piece (nothing to scoff at!), but is not a global elite player that can carry an entire roster. I also hate how Berhalter used him. He is so much better as an off the ball runner than as a playmaker 

The strength of the US will come from Musah, Reyna, Aaronson, Weah, Adams, Dest, and whoever can step up as the striker. (Dike, Pepi, ???). I am actually not that high on McKennie despite him playing for Juve. Great but not Elite. Jedi is already elite but not going to get much better. 

• Like 1

I personally don't believe he's a perfect coach by any means, but he's good for that university.  There isn't another coach that would make them relevant.  He's a better recruiter than Mason and Kill, but he's not as good a coach as either one...and competitiveness at that level is based on talent more than coaching.  He certainly has room for improvement in the coaching realm, but he's the best overall coach since Mason, and I'd argue his upside is far greater.  Whether people like it or not, when Wisconsin is paying their new coach nearly $8M a year, the extension is necessary.  That's how the game is played, even if you don't like it.  

5 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I personally don't believe he's a perfect coach by any means, but he's good for that university.  There isn't another coach that would make them relevant.  He's a better recruiter than Mason and Kill, but he's not as good a coach as either one...and competitiveness at that level is based on talent more than coaching.  He certainly has room for improvement in the coaching realm, but he's the best overall coach since Mason, and I'd argue his upside is far greater.  Whether people like it or not, when Wisconsin is paying their new coach nearly $8M a year, the extension is necessary.  That's how the game is played, even if you don't like it.  

He needs to deliver on his word - win the division, go to a rose bowl. Beating up on bad non-conference teams and losing games you should win when the season is on the line is not worthy of yearly contract extensions and raises. For all of his recruiting wins based on rankings, these guys are not contributing. This season would have been a disaster without Mo Ibrahim and JMS. Winning the recruiting class ranking game is not contributing to success on the field, so I disagree that talent is more important than coaching - that's only true at the elite programs in the country. It just so happens that those 10-12 schools also attract the best coaches.

• Like 1