Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

Saturday is gonna be a GREAT day. We have Premiere League, Bundesliga and Serie A games all morning, and then the MLS season kicks off at noon. Even a women's national team thrown for good measure. Literally 16+ hours of nonstop games from 6:30 to 11:00.

6:30 - Tottenham vs Arsenal

8:00 - Parma vs Empoli 

8:30 - Eintracht Frankfurt vs Hoffenheim

8:30 - Nurnberg vs RB Leipzig

9:00 - Manchester United vs Southampton

9:00 - Hull City vs Birmingham City

11:00 - Milan vs Sassuolo

11:20 - Borussia M'Gladbach vs Bayern Munchen

11:30 - West Ham vs Newcastle

12:00 - Philadelphia vs Toronto

1:30 - Lazio vs Roma

3:30 - New York Red Bulls vs Columbus

3:30 - New England vs Dallas

3:30 - USAWNT vs England

5:00 - Minnesota vs Vancouver

5:00 - Houston vs Real Salt Lake

5:00 - Colorado vs Portland

7:00 - Chicago vs LA Galaxy

9:00 - San Jose vs Montreal

9:00 - Cincinnati vs Seattle

• Like 1

Fiala, Aberg, Donato and JEEK are all restricted free agents after this year. Fenton has traded for 3 RFA's. There probably won't be the cap flexibility to add an impact guy. 

I still can't believe we went 1 for 1 on that Granlund deal. It was widely known outside of the building that the Wild wanted Fiala. Stuff like that shouldn't get out of the building. The entire thing makes me a little skeptical of Fenton. If you want Fiala, play it close to the vest, call around, try to drive up the price for Granlund. Plus we had 2019 control of Granlund. That trade did not need to happen yesterday.

Perhaps Wild fans overestimated Granlund's value but the fact that Fenton didn't even reportedly ask  the Predators to add anything is mind-boggling.

The "pick" from the Preds could've been used in another deal, trade up in draft, etc. Obviously we'll never know if it makes or breaks anything but it would've been a nice addition to the trade. I have nothing against Fiala but trading with a divisional "rival" you'd like to see them pay a little bit of a premium if you can make them do it.

Hell with some of the other trades (Coyle) if could have been a conditional pick.

37 minutes ago, swede700 said:

In the end, why should we care whether they got a pick or not?  Does that pick make or break anything?  Probably a mid to low round pick who they may or may not see for 6 years or ever?

Why wouldn't you want to maximize the return? Why would you want nothing when you should get something? 

Trading Nino and Granny isn't the problem. What they got in return is. If that was the highest offer you got for them, keep them until the offseason. Neither one needed to be dumped, we had control of them. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MNPackfan32 said:

Why wouldn't you want to maximize the return? Why would you want nothing when you should get something? 

Trading Nino and Granny isn't the problem. What they got in return is. If that was the highest offer you got for them, keep them until the offseason. Neither one needed to be dumped, we had control of them. 

All I'm saying is what's to suggest that they could have even gotten more now or in the offseason?  Obviously, I'm not all that close to the situation, but it seems to me that both players plateaued, if not gotten worse over the past couple of years...so let's say, that they do keep them and they continue to perform as they had been, would they have gotten any more in the offseason?  I'm not sure.

It clearly wasn't working as it was, so keeping the team as it was wasn't really an option, especially if you didn't want everyone to just check out on the rest of the season. 

21 minutes ago, MNPackfan32 said:

Fiala, Aberg, Donato and JEEK are all restricted free agents after this year. Fenton has traded for 3 RFA's. There probably won't be the cap flexibility to add an impact guy. 

I still can't believe we went 1 for 1 on that Granlund deal. It was widely known outside of the building that the Wild wanted Fiala. Stuff like that shouldn't get out of the building. The entire thing makes me a little skeptical of Fenton. If you want Fiala, play it close to the vest, call around, try to drive up the price for Granlund. Plus we had 2019 control of Granlund. That trade did not need to happen yesterday.

There absolutely will be. All of them are going to be getting bridge, prove it, deals. Especially Aberg, Donato and JEEK. Staal's new deal takes away the Coyle savings, but then we have all of Staal's $3.5M this year to use. Another $3-5M cap increase is expected. You're likely going to be able to sign all four of them from the savings of Granlund and Nino/Rask. The only UFAs we have can be replaced or brought back as the cheap players they are (Fehr, Hunt, Bitteto). You're still looking at $6M to $8M in cap space if my numbers are correct.

Granlund was shopped around pretty much all of yesterday because the team had to wait for the Mark Stone domino to fall before Nashville would focus in on Granlund

Parise (7.5) - Staal (3.25) - Kunin (.925)
Zucker (5.5) - Koivu (5.5) - Fiala (RFA ~ 2)
Greenway (.917) - JEEK (RFA ~1.5) - (Donato (RFA ~ 2)
Foligno (2.875) - Rask (4) - Aberg (RFA ~1.5)

JT Brown (.688)

Suter (7.5) - Spurgeon (5.19)
Brodin (4.17) - Dumba (6)
Seeler (.725) - Peteryn (2.25)

???

Dubnyk (4.33)
Stalock (.785)

-----

RFA's take us to roughly 70.4M so even if the cap stays flat we are going to be around $8M in space with needing to add a 7th defensemen that could easily be Louie Belpedio from the AHL - Easily enough room to make a splash. All that assuming we don't end up trading guys like Zucker (who it sounds like we almost did to Calgary) or Foligno in the offseason.

Edited by RpMc

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

All I'm saying is what's to suggest that they could have even gotten more now or in the offseason?  Obviously, I'm not all that close to the situation, but it seems to me that both players plateaued, if not gotten worse over the past couple of years...so let's say, that they do keep them and they continue to perform as they had been, would they have gotten any more in the offseason?  I'm not sure.

It clearly wasn't working as it was, so keeping the team as it was wasn't really an option, especially if you didn't want everyone to just check out on the rest of the season. 

So you sell low? I get that they could've possibly gotten worse, but the returns on Nino and Granlund really weren't good. 

What would you say if I told you that Xavier Rhodes had a little bit of a down year compared to last year, so I'll trade you Josh Jackson for him. Jackson is younger and cheaper. I mean, the Vikings haven't won a Super Bowl with this defense, so just take what you can get for him. 

That just doesn't seem like a smart move. I should have to give you a lot more than just Josh Jackson to get Rhodes.