Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

Twins with back to back shut out wins. Didn't watch much of either game (and I know that Toronto can't hit), but that bodes well for the team in the long run. First time in four seasons (I believe) that they've been 10 games over .500.

https://www.twinkietown.com/2019/5/6/18530348/the-rise-of-taylor-rogers-twins-minnesota-best-relievers-mlb

Nice write up on Taylor Rogers's path to success.

Rogers has picked up where he left off, sporting a 1.84 ERA with a 12.9 K/9 in 14.2 innings in 2019. He has gotten the Twins (and himself) out of some tight spots with some big-time strikeouts, and his stuff has looked pretty great.

Don't get me wrong, I will forever appreciate what Joe Mauer did for our franchise, but he never really was even close to a slugger, or a power hitter with the exception of '09, but he always was right in the middle of our lineup. I feel like taking him out and adding more power heavy guys like Cruz, Cron and Schoop have been huge. This is no hate against Mauer at all, because he'll forever be one of my favorite athletes, but the addition of power to our lineup has been huge and I think it's a change that we needed to make, considering we never have been much of a power hitting club in recent years, which may have been due to the fact that our team revolved around a guy that didn't hit for much power at all, and mostly was a singles/walks type of guy. 

9 minutes ago, SkolMasterMN said:

Don't get me wrong, I will forever appreciate what Joe Mauer did for our franchise, but he never really was even close to a slugger, or a power hitter with the exception of '09, but he always was right in the middle of our lineup. I feel like taking him out and adding more power heavy guys like Cruz, Cron and Schoop have been huge. 

Not only that, but we added power from the right side with those guys. Better balanced our lineup.

Just now, Klomp said:

Not only that, but we added power from the right side with those guys. Better balanced our lineup.

Agreed. Obviously there's a lot of factors that are going into this early success, but the power is what sticks out to me. The rotation is definitely improved which has been huge as well. 8th ranked starting rotation right now in terms of ERA. 

6 hours ago, SkolMasterMN said:

Don't get me wrong, I will forever appreciate what Joe Mauer did for our franchise, but he never really was even close to a slugger, or a power hitter with the exception of '09, but he always was right in the middle of our lineup. I feel like taking him out and adding more power heavy guys like Cruz, Cron and Schoop have been huge. This is no hate against Mauer at all, because he'll forever be one of my favorite athletes, but the addition of power to our lineup has been huge and I think it's a change that we needed to make, considering we never have been much of a power hitting club in recent years, which may have been due to the fact that our team revolved around a guy that didn't hit for much power at all, and mostly was a singles/walks type of guy. 

Mauer was a leftover from when your clean-up hitter batted fourth, not third. Mauer probably would be leading off for this team if he were to come up now, and probably should have been for the Twins before. His BA and OBP were great throughout most of his career, and that's what you want with your lead off hitter and then filled in behind him. But I think there was an expectation that Gardy kind of went with that your best hitter was #3, your power hitter was #4, and a fast hitter was #1 in the line-up.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

When the Loons are doing well but people are only talking about how good the Twins are...

Image result for larry david gif

#6 in Western Conference

vs

Best Record in Baseball (also the Twins play every day).

I am keeping up with the Loons though, what I've seen this season is more fun to watch the previous years, but I also got Liverpool's Champions League and Premier League runs to keep track of as well. Too many sports, so little time.

• Like 2