Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

Keuchel hasn't been as good as before, Mad Bum is not the pitcher he was several years ago. Plus, the amount of time to get Keuchel into starting shape would be a while. Not to add in the fact that Keuchel has been on a decline and wants a long term deal. We'd have a situation in two years where the fans who are clammering now to sign him would be mad because he isn't what he once was. And before we hear 'Sign him to a short deal', he has said that he won't do that. Now, with Kimbrel, reliever who mainly just throws hard, probably can get him up to speed faster, plus can get him more consistent work. I'd be all for bringing him in once we can't lose a draft pick anymore.

As for sending the right message to the fan base, I think that signing a Cruz who has hit more HR's than anyone else the last five years should have been a decent start. I think bringing in a 2B who has hit better than Dozier, though not last year, might have been okay. Trading a prospect last year to bring in Oddorizi was solid as well, even though the Twins are cheap and just trade away good players for prospects, not the other way around.

Definitely can improve this team still, but the idea that there are easy moves to be made, beyond signing Kimbrel to a longer deal after the draft, is not at all accurate, and a number of them wouldn't improve the team much.

• Like 1

I think the Twins have assets at positions of strength that can be moved to help now and long term. I think signing Kimbrel and trading for Stroman are two moves that shouldn't be terribly difficult to complete and would go a long way in showing the fan base that they are committed to winning with this core group (Polanco, Buxton, Sano, Berrios, Rosario, Kepler).

On 5/25/2019 at 1:21 PM, Worm Guts said:

It's not really meant to be a criticism. I'm just considering whether they would be better off with an ace in a short series.  Do these Twins have their Frank Viola or Jack Morris? Do they need one?

They do need one...and as far as I'm aware, none of the pitchers are even close to the class of Viola or Morris...Berrios has the most potential to be that guy, but he's certainly had a downswing of late.  

On 5/25/2019 at 9:11 PM, TENINCH said:

Minnesota Lynx rookie Collier looks like she'll fill in nicely for Moore.

I hope so...I looked at all the predictions for the year, and it doesn't look like the Lynx are on anyone's radar.  And we should all root for the Gophers softball team in the College World Series, especially considering they've never been there before.  

Michael Pineda to the IL.

Twins select the contract of Devin Smeltzer to add to the roster. Don't know much about him as a prospect, not in the Twins top 30, but has been good this year in both AAA and AA.

Doing a touch more researched on him, I'm guessing he's one of the guys we got in the Dozier trade.

5 hours ago, The Gnat said:

Michael Pineda to the IL.

Twins select the contract of Devin Smeltzer to add to the roster. Don't know much about him as a prospect, not in the Twins top 30, but has been good this year in both AAA and AA.

Doing a touch more researched on him, I'm guessing he's one of the guys we got in the Dozier trade.

Why would they have him start today?

19 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Holy cow! This Smeltzer kid is a hell of a story. I’ll be rooting for him no matter what happens or where he goes.

I missed the whole story but he had a heck of a debut. I don't get taking him out after 69 pitches though

• Like 1

I think they were playing the analytics about 3rd time through the order. 

Smeltzer was diagnosed with cancer at age 9, battled and won. He’s been in full remission since 2012 and is now pitching in the bigs. Hell of a first outing.

I couldn’t stand not watching anymore being in Chicago, so I signed up for MLB tv tonight.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I think they were playing the analytics about 3rd time through the order. 

Smeltzer was diagnosed with cancer at age 9, battled and won. He’s been in full remission since 2012 and is now pitching in the bigs. Hell of a first outing.

I couldn’t stand not watching anymore being in Chicago, so I signed up for MLB tv tonight.

That makes sense.  

That's crazy. He doesn't have overpowering stuff but it looks like he knows how to pitch. Castro has probably never caught him before either

10 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

I missed the whole story but he had a heck of a debut. I don't get taking him out after 69 pitches though

I mean, why wouldn't you take him out with 69 pitches?

:D

That was a nice debut, shame that they couldn't have let him go one more inning and gotten him the win, or, more so, that they couldn't have scored earlier.

The twins are 14-3 in games after a loss. The fact that they've only had two 3 game losing streaks is just insane.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Gnat said:

The twins are 14-3 in games after a loss. The fact that they've only had three 2 game losing streaks is just insane.

fixed it ;)

Also pretty crazy that they have only used 7 starters this year. Last night was a weird game. Pretty much every ball was hit really hard, they were just right at someone or dropped by the wind early on.