Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

36 minutes ago, swede700 said:

"United vs United" is why I'll probably never be all that fixated on the sport.  

"Minnesota vs Atlanta" or "the Loons vs the 5-Stripes" is what people say.

It is interesting that the new MLS teams that have come in the last few years are all going with traditional European-style names (MN United, ATL United, Los Angeles FC, FC Cincinnati, Austin FC, etc), while the older teams all have "American" names (Whitecaps, Timbers, Fire, Revolution, Dynamo, etc.)

Minnesota and Cincy both were already established teams before coming up to MLS so it makes sense they would keep their brand, but LAFC and Austin are brand new teams so I would have expected more American names. Although, LAFC is mainly targeted at the Latino population in LA, so it makes sense. 

4 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

"Minnesota vs Atlanta" or "the Loons vs the 5-Stripes" is what people say.

It is interesting that the new MLS teams that have come in the last few years are all going with traditional European-style names (MN United, ATL United, Los Angeles FC, FC Cincinnati, Austin FC, etc), while the older teams all have "American" names (Whitecaps, Timbers, Fire, Revolution, Dynamo, etc.)

Minnesota and Cincy both were already established teams before coming up to MLS so it makes sense they would keep their brand, but LAFC and Austin are brand new teams so I would have expected more American names. Although, LAFC is mainly targeted at the Latino population in LA, so it makes sense. 

I agree that that's probably why I'm just not sure that it will be all that relatable to many others.  I understand they're probably trying to get a little more respect as a league worldwide by going with the Euro-style naming convention, but I'm not sure it will ever get major notice here using that, just because it's so foreign to us...and the fact that we (on the whole, not me) hate European-style anything (otherwise, we would have moved to the metric system a long time ago). 

And what's with the adding of FC to the Seattle Sounders...that didn't exist either when I lived in Seattle...when they were in the A-League, it was just Seattle Sounders, period.  ;)   

26 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I agree that that's probably why I'm just not sure that it will be all that relatable to many others.  I understand they're probably trying to get a little more respect as a league worldwide by going with the Euro-style naming convention, but I'm not sure it will ever get major notice here using that, just because it's so foreign to us...and the fact that we (on the whole, not me) hate European-style anything (otherwise, we would have moved to the metric system a long time ago). 

I thought Atlanta wasn't gonna do very well because they are in the heart of the south (soccer ain't 'murican!) with a Euro-style name, they are playing in a football stadium, there was an NASL team for years that wasn't all that popular, and they are competing with every other major sport, but they are actually one of the most popular teams in the league. Massive support in Atlanta. It probably helps that Arthur Blank has spent massive money to bring in some high-profile South American players and they score a ton of goals.

The Twins will hold a weekend-long celebration in June for Joe Mauer, bringing in more than 30 alumni as part of the festivities. While there will be activities all weekend, the highlight will come on Saturday, June 15, when the Twins retire Mauer’s jersey number 7.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/05/30/twins-announce-joe-mauer-weekend-details/

• Like 1

Someone who's more into baseball should explain this to me. Since ground rule doubles and automatic doubles are a thing, why isn't there a rule in place in for Sano's hit? I can understand not awarding a home run, but allowing an out there seems ridiculous to me. A foul would be okay too I guess. 

Edited by skywindO2

12 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

Someone who's more into baseball should explain this to me. Since ground rule doubles and automatic doubles are a thing, why isn't there a rule in place in for Sano's hit? I can understand not awarding a home run, but allowing an out there seems ridiculous to me. A foul would be okay too I guess. 

Because it's written into the stadium's ground rules:

Batted ball that strikes either of the lower two catwalks (known as the 'C-Ring' and the 'D-Ring'), including any lights or suspended objects attached to either of those catwalks as well as any angled support rods that connect the 'C-Ring' to the masts that support the 'D-Ring' in fair territory: Home Run.

Batted ball that strikes either of the upper catwalks (known as the 'A-Ring' and the 'B-Ring'), including the masts that support each of those catwalks as well as any angled support rods that connect the 'B-Ring' to the masts that support the 'C-Ring' in fair territory: In Play. If caught by fielder, batter is out and runners advance at own risk.

Batted ball that is not judged a home run and remains on a catwalk, light or suspended object: Two Bases.

Batted ball strikes catwalk, light or suspended object over foul territory: Dead Ball.

https://www.mlb.com/rays/ballpark/ground-rules

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

The Champions League final was lackluster. Decided by the refs in the first minute. Not a fan of that. 

Definitely a very poor game, but the PK call was absolutely correct. Sissoko made a huge error by putting his arm out like that when he knew a cross was coming.