Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

10 hours ago, Heimdallr said:
11 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

The Champions League final was lackluster. Decided by the refs in the first minute. Not a fan of that. 

Definitely a very poor game, but the PK call was absolutely correct. Sissoko made a huge error by putting his arm out like that when he knew a cross was coming.

I mean, I liked it, but I am a huge Liverpool fan. The game itself was pretty slow though, Tottenham just didn't do anything with the ball when the had a chance until late in the game, and Liverpool looked okay going forward, but after they got in the lead, they didn't push as much as they  normally would have.

On 6/1/2019 at 9:09 PM, Klomp said:
On 6/1/2019 at 8:53 PM, skywindO2 said:

Someone who's more into baseball should explain this to me. Since ground rule doubles and automatic doubles are a thing, why isn't there a rule in place in for Sano's hit? I can understand not awarding a home run, but allowing an out there seems ridiculous to me. A foul would be okay too I guess. 

Because it's written into the stadium's ground rules:

Batted ball that strikes either of the lower two catwalks (known as the 'C-Ring' and the 'D-Ring'), including any lights or suspended objects attached to either of those catwalks as well as any angled support rods that connect the 'C-Ring' to the masts that support the 'D-Ring' in fair territory: Home Run.

Batted ball that strikes either of the upper catwalks (known as the 'A-Ring' and the 'B-Ring'), including the masts that support each of those catwalks as well as any angled support rods that connect the 'B-Ring' to the masts that support the 'C-Ring' in fair territory: In Play. If caught by fielder, batter is out and runners advance at own risk.

Batted ball that is not judged a home run and remains on a catwalk, light or suspended object: Two Bases.

Batted ball strikes catwalk, light or suspended object over foul territory: Dead Ball.

https://www.mlb.com/rays/ballpark/ground-rules

I think Bert said it best, tear down the stadium. The rule is the rule, but that rule is dumb. It almost ffels like a rule where they went, we're not going to be hitting many HR's, because we can't keep good players or sign more good players, so let's make it harder for other teams to hit a HR.

11 hours ago, wcblack34 said:
16 hours ago, marshpit23 said:

Dominate performance by the Twins...until the bullpen decided to make it interesting :-/

Kimbrel......

Can sign him after today.

12 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Kimbrel......

I'm a huge proponent of bringing him in, but not because of that performance yesterday. Guys are gonna have bad outings. Consider that Magill had 12 consecutive scoreless outings before yesterday.

I think Kimbrel is the best option to close no matter what night it is, and that lets you use the other guys more strategically. 

6 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I'm a huge proponent of bringing him in, but not because of that performance yesterday. Guys are gonna have bad outings. Consider that Magill had 12 consecutive scoreless outings before yesterday.

I think Kimbrel is the best option to close no matter what night it is, and that lets you use the other guys more strategically. 

Even before yesterday, I've thought the bullpen is the weak link on this team. I'd love to pick up another stud starter, but our bullpen will cost us more games this year than any one of our starters will. Kimbrel makes so much sense that you know if won't happen (letting my MN fandom flag fly there).

It would be great to see them sign Kimbrel, even if only for a year, and trade for another solid reliever that they'd have team control over for a couple of seasons. 

I'm with you on the bullpen being a "weak" link. I also think they need another starter. I think the only way the Twins have a shot at Kimbrel is for 3+ years. I'm trying to drive the trade for Stroman train in terms of adding a starter. I don't think they need to add two bullpen arms - Kimbrel will straighten out a lot of the problems that they might run into. 

And yes, this is typical Minnesota fandom. We are watching a team that has gotten to 40 wins faster than any in franchise history, and we are worried about the bullpen costing them games! 

Edited by JDBrocks

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

I think it’s ridiculous that the rule is up to the stadium/team.

It's always up to the home team.  It was the same in the Metrodome.  And I'm okay with that, since it's a sport that doesn't play with a standard field in every stadium.   

But, I'm not for tearing down the stadium, I'm for moving that team.  They've always been a non-factor in Tampa Bay, even when they're good.  They have to move...Tampa is not a good market for baseball.  They should move them to either Charlotte, Portland or Montreal.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

Obviously the Twins have done well on offense, but now getting Nelson Cruz back for tomorrow and Mitch Garver back in the series against the Rays. But it'll be nice to have that full line-up back. I feel like Castro could/should be traded for a RP with Garver hitting like he has.

A 3 game sweep of Cleveland would be outstanding and give us a 14.5 game lead over them. If the Nationals sweep the White Sox, we'd have the same lead over them. No team in the modern era has ever overcome more than a 14 game deficit to win a division. Win Twins!

15 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

A 3 game sweep of Cleveland would be outstanding and give us a 14.5 game lead over them. If the Nationals sweep the White Sox, we'd have the same lead over them. No team in the modern era has ever overcome more than a 14 game deficit to win a division. Win Twins!

You've now jinxed it.  

• Like 1

Oh and Twins draft thus far:

Keoni Cavaco - HS Senior SS/3B, will be a 3B. Looks to have really good bat speed and became a prospect this year after not being highly known before.

Matt Wallner - College RS JR OF - Has a solid fastball as well, but big time power bat. Needs to cut down on the swing a bit. Minnesotan.

Matt Canterino - College RS JR SP - Solid velocity on fastball, not a ton of movement on it, but creates good downward angle. Very strong slider that can strike hitters out and a solid curveball. Strikes out a lot of hitters.

34 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

A lot of reports out there that the Twins are heavily invested in both Kimbrel and Kuechel now that the deadline is passed. I really expect the Twins to sign one of the two, and I hope it's Kimbrel.

And they have to wait until AFTER the draft correct?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/ampstories/alexmorganwwc/index.html

Who is ready for some World Cup action?? We are the defending champs and are considered the favorites, but host nation France also has a great shot to win it. With the way the bracket is set up, USA and France will almost assuredly meet in the quarterfinal. Germany and England are probably the only other teams that have a good shot at winning it all.