Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

Twins with a come from behind win against Seattle last night. Only the second game that they've come from behind in after 7 innings, though, that's still only about a 3rd of their games that they've been behind late. Two more HR's of course, so set the team record for most HR's before the All Star Break.

• Like 1

http://twinsdaily.com/articles.html/_/minnesota-twins-news/do-the-twins-have-the-best-bottom-of-the-order-ever-r7933

Using the Play Index, I was able to view results dating back to 1908, and guess what, the 2019 Twins have the best OPS from any bottom of the order in MLB history. Another benefit of using the Play Index is it excluded plate appearances by pitchers, which would have skewed the results against National League teams along with all MLB teams prior to 1973. This also removes seven plate appearances made by Twins pitchers this year, and raises their bottom of the order OPS up to .875. After the Twins, the next closet team on the list is the 1930 St. Louis Cardinals, whose bottom of the order produced an .851 OPS. Overall, there have been just 22 teams with a bottom of the order OPS above .800, which is less than one percent of the time.

Great article on what has, IMO, made the Twins lineup so special this year.

• Like 1

That was a disappointing loss last night. The relief pitching was an issue, then the offense saved it, and then the defense kicked it away. Thankfully there's not much to worry about the defense as that won't be an issue normally. I'd be tempted to get Sano out of there late in close games with Marwin Gonzalez on the bench, it's better than sticking Adrianza there last year in terms of keeping up offense.

Now today the game is going a lot better.

13 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

That was a disappointing loss last night. The relief pitching was an issue, then the offense saved it, and then the defense kicked it away. Thankfully there's not much to worry about the defense as that won't be an issue normally. I'd be tempted to get Sano out of there late in close games with Marwin Gonzalez on the bench, it's better than sticking Adrianza there last year in terms of keeping up offense.

Now today the game is going a lot better.

Can't win them all, but it certainly was good to see them battle last night, even if it did end up in a loss. 

They're just pummeling Seattle today. Doesn't look like we'll be in danger of a losing streak. 

13 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

This bullpen is a problem. 

Yes and no.

For the most part, the pen has been good, but we've basically got 2 or 3 of the RP's who have been rough. Getting that down to one long reliever would be ideal who is there for the mop up situations. So getting at least one more arm would be really good, but I don't think the RP's are a massive problem.

• Like 1

8 shutout innings, 2 hits, and only 88 pitches for Gibson and they didn’t let him go out in the 9th for the complete game!? 

I get the analytical approach that the Twins are taking this year, but Gibson was having the best game of his career, and it feels like that’s robbing your guy. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

8 shutout innings, 2 hits, and only 88 pitches for Gibson and they didn’t let him go out in the 9th for the complete game!? 

I get the analytical approach that the Twins are taking this year, but Gibson was having the best game of his career, and it feels like that’s robbing your guy. 

it's why i stopped watching baseball years ago - i find it robotic and overly scrutinized. let the players play.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I do agree with you. I was worried about it even from a winning standpoint, considering how much our bullpen had been struggling lately, but luckily Rogers held it together. Although he was a couple feet away from giving up a bomb to left field. 

4 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Gibson offered to start and pitch until a batter reached base. But Baldelli wanted the lefthanded Rogers to start with a clean inning. So Rogers — pitching for the first time since June 6 because of a sore back — came in and pitched a 1-2-3 ninth inning for his seventh save.

http://www.startribune.com/mitch-garver-s-late-homer-backs-kyle-gibson-s-gem-as-twins-edge-royals-2-0/511333672/