Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

I was at the game last night, and the stands were full from an hour before the start of the game all the way through the last pitch. Great atmosphere, and it was a great game. It is hard to imagine an athlete being more universally loved than Joe, and they really put together a great presentation.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

It is hard to imagine an athlete being more universally loved than Joe, and they really put together a great presentation.

I was thinking about this last night. If you stay within the Twitter bubble of the past 5 years, you don't get that same feeling. I thought the contract and the end of his career soured some people on him somewhat. I don't know if surprised is the right way to describe how I felt last night, but I didn't expect quite that strong of a reaction.

At the same time, last night showed me how much this sports community still loves 34. The reaction to his kids being there was pretty cool. I think Kirby is still at the top in this market.

6 hours ago, Klomp said:

I was thinking about this last night. If you stay within the Twitter bubble of the past 5 years, you don't get that same feeling. I thought the contract and the end of his career soured some people on him somewhat. I don't know if surprised is the right way to describe how I felt last night, but I didn't expect quite that strong of a reaction.

At the same time, last night showed me how much this sports community still loves 34. The reaction to his kids being there was pretty cool. I think Kirby is still at the top in this market.

Yes. Kirby is, and will most likely remain, the most popular athlete in the history of Minnesota sports. I liked Mauer a lot. But the last 3-4 years of his career, his contract and productivity as a 1st baseman hurt the team more than it helped. Had he never strayed from behind the plate, he'd be a Hall of Famer and we'd likely see him differently. 

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Mauer simply never lived up to the contract. He won three batting titles and an MVP award all before his big payday. Never came close afterwards.

Nobody would disagree, but it still doesn't take away from all the division titles and accomplishments he had in his career prime. Much love for Joe!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TENINCH said:

Mauer was great but he was no Kirby Puckett.

Agreed, and a lot of that was personality wise, Puckett just had a lot of charisma.

As for Mauer though, he was a great Twins player for a long time, and what we don't hear about him is the concussion issues and how much that affected his career. In the last two or three years he opened up more about how it had affected his sight, especially in day games. As for "the contract", it was a needed contract when it was given to him. It sucks that he didn't live up to it, primarily for the injury reasons and that he was never going to hit HR's like the average fan thought the contract should mean. Had he and Morneau not had concussion issues, the Twins probably would have avoided some of the slump they had in the past few years. Even if Mauer's career had gone the same way, but he'd caught the whole time, I think that the contract would have looked better. But the Twins were damned if they signed him and damned if they didn't, because the people who say it's a bad contract also say that the Twins don't spend money, and when they signed Mauer, it was good contract, at the end, it wasn't.

• Like 1

This core group of guys doesn't really have a Puckett among them, but they are one of the most entertaining and enjoyable groups of players that I can remember. The Garver homerun on Friday says everything about this club - sheer joy looking back at the dugout as he's rounding second. I can't remember the last time I saw a Twins team that looked like they were having fun every game.

15 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Yes. Kirby is, and will most likely remain, the most popular athlete in the history of Minnesota sports. I liked Mauer a lot. But the last 3-4 years of his career, his contract and productivity as a 1st baseman hurt the team more than it helped. Had he never strayed from behind the plate, he'd be a Hall of Famer and we'd likely see him differently. 

Kirby's personality was also far more infectious than Joe's ever was.  No one could ever compete with Kirby's personality.  Compared to Kirby, Joe's personality was similar to lightly buttered bread.  

• Like 1