Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

but people can't be forced into doing anything they don't want to do if it's not required to participate.

Requiring incoming players to have a degree in order to be eligible is no different than the 3 years removed from high school criteria that they currently have in place. 

5 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

You’re also talking about jobs that go a small percentage of players, many of who had longer than average careers. How many former players who are in broadcasting are guys who you never heard about in the NFL? 

There are going to be nearly 900 unemployed football players in 2 months. 

You don’t need a degree to play football, or baseball, or basketball, etc. But having a degree gives you a head start in the world beyond sports. And when you know that it’s such an extreme long shot for these guys to have a true career in professional sports, knowing that all of your players have that head start to fall back on seems like a pretty responsible thing to do. 

Quincy Lewis and Kevin Lynch in basketball come to mind. There's also quite a few in college sports. Look at the BTN list of announcers. Only a few of them had long pro careers.

There's also tons of scouting jobs available if someone is interested in working their way up the ladder.

18 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Requiring incoming players to have a degree in order to be eligible is no different than the 3 years removed from high school criteria that they currently have in place. 

I don't know about you, but I didn't get my degree in 3 years.  And it is different for that reason alone, because that makes it a much higher bar to cross for entry into the league.  You'd be practically inviting the PA to sue.  Not to mention that you'd likely be putting a major restriction on your available workforce, which could lead to a negative product on the court or field, whichever sport being referenced.

Edited by swede700

Hopefully Kepler is back soon. It'll be tough winning games with a infielder, catcher and right fielder in the outfield. He must have been a defensive replacement though?

Sano still has options right? I think it wouldn't hurt to send him down for a while to get things figured out a bit once someone comes off the IL. At this point it'd be hard to send the rookie down

We want to send Sano down, but he's also at .7 WAR with a .1 WAR in 30 games. He doesn't need to go down, fans just need to be patient and realize that he's going to strike out and hit HR's and that's fine at this point.

Kepler came in as a defensive replacement last night after Rosario sprained and ankle. Buxton should be back soon, I'm not sure on Gonzalez though.

As for last night, no HR's for the Twins, but a good come from behind win. I didn't watch a ton of the game, as I was reading and watching a bit of a US Men's soccer game. But did overhear them say on the broadcast that the Twins going into yesterday were 14-13 against teams above .500. That's pretty good, to have a couple of games above a .500 against those teams, bodes well for facing teams in the playoffs.

21 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Brooks had a 5 year career in the NFL. Longer than the average 3 year career, and long enough to qualify for programs offered to veteran players. 

That still ain't long and it's not like anyone actually remembers him playing, especially since he never stuck in one spot.  I remember Solomon Wilcots (and I don't even remember him on the Vikings) playing more than Bucky Brooks.  

And as far as the Sano thing, I personally don't believe sending him down now would do any good.  At a certain point, you just have to let a player work it out at the major league level.  Sending a player down may do more harm than good.  

Edited by swede700

15 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Long piece on Max Kepler on ESPN and how there is hope that his budding success will have an impact on/grow European interest in playing baseball.

It's going to be hard considering, after dumping baseball after 2008, the Olympics is bringing it back in 2020, but with no guarantee to go beyond that.  The Olympics has far more impact than a player playing in Minnesota.  

I don't want too get too political, but it would be nice if, instead of concerning themselves with Europe, that MLB do more to bring baseball back to the inner cities.  

I'm not too worried about sano but he does swing and miss a lot and if everyone gets healthy we'd have an extra everyday player again. Hopefully he can just start making better contact and swinging at the right pitches but I feel like some players really benefit from taking a step back

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

I missed it. What happened

We ran out of pitchers. 

It seemed that they had each relief pitcher on 20 pitch count. Even though a couple of the pitchers got through to innings on those 20 pitches. It just felt as though they should have stuck it out with them longer. 

Sometimes it feels that the Twins are relying so much on analytics that they don’t have a very good feel for things.