Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

Does the netting negatively impact the enjoyment of those sitting behind home plate? Honestly I think people will get used to it and won't think twice about it. A couple of foul ball outs over the wall are not worth risking the lives of people going to a baseball game. I was just recently at Guaranteed Rate field for the Twins/Sox game that Berrios pitched. I sat behind the home dugout (ewww - I've always been a first baseline guy, but wanted my son to have a better view), and if there wasn't a national discussion going on about the netting right now, I wouldn't have thought twice about it. 

You are definitely right about the kids on the field last night. They were far enough away, but the exit velocity on some of those balls was well over 110 mph.

Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald is likely just a few games away from becoming the second-leading pass catcher in NFL history.

Fitzgerald has caught 1,303 passes in his NFL career, while Tony Gonzalez is No. 2 all-time, with 1,325 catches. If Fitzgerald catches five passes a game, he’ll break the record in his fifth game of the season.

The all-time NFL record is 1,549 career catches by Jerry Rice. Fitzgerald, who will turn 36 next month, will almost certainly not catch Rice, whose records for catches, yards and touchdowns may prove untouchable even in this era of increased passing numbers. But “second only to Jerry Rice” is a great distinction for a pass catcher, and Fitzgerald will likely earn that distinction in September or October.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/10/larry-fitzgerald-poised-to-move-up-to-no-2-in-all-time-receptions-list/

30 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

He'll likely be hampered by his QB situation, but it's definitely not out of reach.

Fitzgerald has been hampered by his QB situation almost his entire career and it hasn't stopped him. The few Carson Palmer years aside, did he ever have a good QB throwing him the ball?

19 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Fitzgerald has been hampered by his QB situation almost his entire career and it hasn't stopped him. The few Carson Palmer years aside, did he ever have a good QB throwing him the ball?

Kurt Warner?

Fitz is 246 catches behind Rice heading into this season. 

If he played 2019 and 2020 he'd need 123 catches a season, he's never had over 109.

If he plays 3 more years he'd need 82 catches a year, if he stays healthy (which he has a strong track record of) he could do that.

I just don't see him playing 3 more seasons unless KK and Murray light a new fire under him.

21 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

I just don't see him playing 3 more seasons unless KK and Murray light a new fire under him.

Why? Where does the narrative that Fitz is ready for retirement come from? Or that he’s lost any sort of “fire”?

I have yet to see any statement from him that suggests he’s ready to retire. He’s clearly found a new role as a slot guy, and he’s not a guy who gets hurt. At 36, playing for 3 more years, especially for someone who takes as good of care of themselves as Fitz, is definitely not a stretch. 

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

Kurt Warner?

He is another good one. Still, Fitzgerald has dealt with some pretty bad QB play during his time with the Cardinals. Compare the QB situation he has dealt with to the QB situation Jerry Rice worked with. If Larry had anything like that I imagine his numbers would be even more impressive.

4 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Why? Where does the narrative that Fitz is ready for retirement come from? Or that he’s lost any sort of “fire”?

I have yet to see any statement from him that suggests he’s ready to retire. He’s clearly found a new role as a slot guy, and he’s not a guy who gets hurt. At 36, playing for 3 more years, especially for someone who takes as good of care of themselves as Fitz, is definitely not a stretch. 

Perhaps fire was the wrong word.

I've only heard the rumors and never really read into it. It does appear he's only shot the rumors down from the quick search I did.

I know few pay attention to it but the Wolves Summer League team is playing great.

Naz Reid should be a steal as a UDFA, good big guy and similar to Kat where he can go out and shoot, is nasty on the boards and when he plays aggressive is a big time talent.  Total steal and would be shocked if he does not make the roster and see some time this year.  Culver has not even played in the summer league and they are still a fine team.  Jordan McLaughlin looks to have a great 3-point shot and could be the 3rd PG after they let go of Tyus which I was upset about.

Mitchell Creek is a tough physical guard who can finish in the paint, Kelan Martin has been lights out from 3 and is a natural scorer, he should make the roster hopefully.  Even Jordan Murphy played well last year which was a surprise, great to see him doing well and should make the G league team possibly.  Barry Brown Jr looks ok out of Kansas State and is a decent scorer, Bates-Diop looks like he improved his shot a lot and is a nice wing player who could make the team.  Okogie looks great and has been a big time leader for the summer league team as well.

Will be interesting to see how they do, they could win the Summer league title with a win tonight and tomorrow.  

Again I would hope McLaughlin takes the 3rd PG role, Bayless is a vet but not real productive.  Shooting for the team really has improved with Culver, Nowell, Napier, and Layman coming in.  Not sure what they do with Luol Deng he was ok at times last year but not sure they keep him around.  At PF Covington should do fine if he can stay healthy, and Bell provides some hustle and defensive.  Gorgui I hope improves, honestly though Reid could take his spot if he keeps playing well and is more versatile offensively.  Sucks to lose Jones no doubt but hopefully Napier takes the next step and Teague will get injured a lot so that is a problem.  But defense with Okogie and Culver should be good, Bate-Diop has nice length.  Will see if Wiggins can finally help win some games instead of just get points, he has to be a better leader and competitor if this team wants to do well.  Okogie has shown more passion, leadership and competitiveness as a rookie then Wiggins has arguably his entire career which is sad.

PG: Teague, Napier, Bayless, McLaughlin

SG: Okogie, Culver, Nowell

SF: Wiggins, J. Layman, Bates-Diop

PF: Covington, L. Deng, Bell

C: Towns, G. Dieng Reid

At least they got some hope and some nice shooters which is what they need.