Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

16 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

They apparently asked for Buxton in a trade for Syndergaard and the Twins (rightfully) rebuked them. They asked for Kirillof or Lewis last week and the Twins said no. 

It's going to be hard to find a top-tier starter now. Although, if Falvine truly has the checkbook, Zach Greinke would be an interesting option. 

I think the Twins would have been willing to give them Kirillof or Lewis, but my understanding was that the Mets asked for both.  

I read that as well about Buxton. No way you break up the big league club right now. I think I saw that the Twins are 30 games over .500 when he is in the lineup?

Greinke has the Twins as one of the teams in his no trade clause, so I don't think that's an option. Minor, Ray, or Boyd are really the only options out there. I think they have to go hard after relief pitching at this point.

Edited by JDBrocks

1 minute ago, JDBrocks said:

Greinke has the Twins as one of the teams in his no trade clause, so I don't think that's an option. Minor, Ray, or Boyd are really the only options out there. I think they have to go hard after relief pitching at this point.

That NTC was signed when he signed the contract. He may waive it now. The Twins, as currently constructed, are poised to compete for a couple of years, barring any major regression. So if Greinke wants to win, and wants to pitch in a pitcher-friendly park, he could do much worse. He's still going to get paid.

That said, maybe he just doesn't want to live in Minnesota. Still, it's worth a call to Arizona. 

19 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

If it was a deal for Buxton, and Buxton only. I’d pull the trigger on a trade. Especially if you believed that you could keep Syndergaard beyond 2021.

A 26 year old Cy Young caliber pitcher is far more valuable than a gold glove center fielder. 

Buxton it the guy who stirs the drink. This team is flat-out better when he is in the lineup. We've seen the difference between Buxton in CF and Cave/Kepler. 

If it had been a straight up Buxton for Syndergaard, I'd possibly consider it. But I'd definitely have pause. Anything more than Buxton, without something else in return, is a hard no from me. 

8 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I think the Twins would have been willing to give them Kirillof or Lewis, but my understanding was that the Mets asked for both.  

Ridiculous. Kirillof could be a Christian Yelich type, and Lewis has already been compared to Derek Jeter. Syndergaard is good. But he's not Justin Verlander, Roger Clemens, Pedro Martinez, or Randy Johnson "good."

I think I want them to get Kirby Yates. None of the other available starters really do it for me, and the Twins have struggled most in high leverage pitching situations. A back end of Romo, Rodgers, and Yates would be one of the best in baseball. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Ridiculous. Kirillof could be a Christian Yelich type, and Lewis has already been compared to Derek Jeter. Syndergaard is good. But he's not Justin Verlander, Roger Clemens, Pedro Martinez, or Randy Johnson "good."

It sounds to me that they're new GM hasn't quite learned the art of negotiation.  He's just shooting for the moon, period, which often cuts off negotiation at the start, rather than asking for a little more than what is realistic and then negotiating downward.  

9 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Maybe it had to do with the teams that they played but it's it a coincidence that the pitching really struggled before Buxton got back?

The Twins record did suffer for sure when Buxton was out.

11 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Wild fired their GM Paul Fenton after one season this morning.

That was kind of odd to me. I think that he should have been given more time, but I suspect it would the issue with the owner more than anything else. I kind of think Fenton probably wanted to move more pieces, and Liepold wanted to keep fans happier.

9 minutes ago, MNPackfan32 said:

I'd love to know what set CL over the edge with Fenton. I was never a Fenton guy, so I'm cool with this. Very surprised by the timing.

I was reading some of the Athletic piece and it seems that it wasn't just one particular incident, but a combination of them, including low employee morale.  It almost sounds like a Fran Foley type of scenario (although I don't think Fenton may have been nearly as hostile internally as Foley was).  I also don't think it's any coincidence that it happened not too long after personal meetings that Leipold had with Suter and Parise.  It couldn't have been an easy decision, because it puts the franchise in a chaotic situation just over a month away from camp.  

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1