Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

56 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

They have a legitimate shot at 9 players with 20+ HRs. Polanco and Schoop need 1 each, and MarGo is at 15.

It's insane, and had Buxton been healthy the whole year, he would have had a good shot at 20 as well. 

And the Twins catchers combining for 35 HR's is fun.

5 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

And Polanco needs to hit one more to get us to 8 players with 20+, so hopefully that happens today. And then if Gonzalez hits 5 today, he'll be at 20 as well.

Gonzalez averages 3 home runs a month, so 20 home runs is still in reach but he'll need an above average September.

2 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

Gonzalez averages 3 home runs a month, so 20 home runs is still in reach but he'll need an above average September.

Yeah, it seems unlikely, but with September, you never know because depending on whom you play, you end up facing a bunch of Triple A pitchers which might make it easy to hit 5 more HR's, or it might make it harder because you don't know as much about the pitchers.

Not encouraging, but week one of college football always seems to be a bit of a crap shoot for the non-top end programs. 

Its the reason I’m glad that the preseason still exists in the NFL. Some UGLY college football early in the year. 

9 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

PJ Fleck is a great guy, a great motivator, a great recruiter, and can build a worthy culture, but I seriously question his ability to actually coach football. 

This is embarrassing.

They got the win and while he doesn't account for all of it, they have the longest non-conference winning streak in the country...and that has to account for something, because they don't play all creampuffs, all the time.  And for me, Game 1 of the college football season is always why they can never get rid of the preseason completely in the NFL.  It's always sloppy, no matter what game you're watching.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RpMc said:

Not encouraging, but week one of college football always seems to be a bit of a crap shoot for the non-top end programs. 

Its the reason I’m glad that the preseason still exists in the NFL. Some UGLY college football early in the year. 

It's a crapshoot for all programs, top end or not.  Alabama usually starts out pretty well, but they are one of the few.  

23 minutes ago, swede700 said:

They got the win and while he doesn't account for all of it, they have the longest non-conference winning streak in the country...and that has to account for something, because they don't play all creampuffs, all the time.  And for me, Game 1 of the college football season is always why they can never get rid of the preseason completely in the NFL.  It's always sloppy, no matter what game you're watching.  

If this was an FBS school, or if the Gophers weren’t looked at as a legit contender to win the Big 10 west, I’d be more inclined to go along with your line of thinking. But it wasn’t. This was an FCS school that the Gophers dwarfed on the field. This shouldn’t have been a close game. The Gophers should have been able to impose their will on the Jackrabbits just due to their size difference. Instead we watched the Gophers struggle with basic alignments and stunts. The Gophers didn’t look prepared, and they definitely got out coached last night  

I’m by no means saying that they should have, or need, a different coach. But from my viewing of the Gophers over the past 2 years, it’s pretty obvious that the X’s and O’s, and the execution of the X’s and O’s is Fleck’s biggest weakness. 

Edited by SemperFeist

Records continue to fall in baseball’s latest home-run era. Most recently, the Minnesota Twins broke the record for most homers on the road, smacking two in the third inning yesterday against the Chicago White Sox for a total of 140. That previous record was 138, set by the San Francisco Giants in 2001. 

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/significant-digits-for-friday-aug-30-2019/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

If this was an FBS school, or if the Gophers weren’t looked at as a legit contender to win the Big 10 west, I’d be more inclined to go along with your line of thinking. But it wasn’t. This was an FCS school that the Gophers dwarfed on the field. This shouldn’t have been a close game. The Gophers should have been able to impose their will on the Jackrabbits just due to their size difference. Instead we watched the Gophers struggle with basic alignments and stunts. The Gophers didn’t look prepared. 

They probably should have, but even as a FCS school, the Jackrabbits are one of the best teams at that level and as we've seen from their rival Bison, if you're one of the best teams at that level, you can beat a FBS team early in the season.

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

They probably should have, but even as a FCS school, the Jackrabbits are one of the best teams at that level and as we've seen from their rival Bison, if you're one of the best teams at that level, you can beat a FBS team early in the season.

Maybe, but even if the Jackrabbits are one of the better FCS teams, the Gophers have been hyped as a potential top 25 team. To hear about that hype, and not just from local sources, during the summer, and to go into the game and see that level of performance? It’s a little disheartening.