Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

Had the Twins managed to pull the sweep on Cleveland, that would have basically ended Cleveland's chance of catching them right there, but I thought, after they got rained out the first night, we might end up seeing a 1-2 series against the Indians, so I was pleased with 2-1, and that monster shot by Sano on the Grand Slam was fun to watch, even if it was only a replay of it. I think the Twins magic number is down to 7, so a good series starting tonight against the White Sox should get us down to 3-4.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Gnat said:

Had the Twins managed to pull the sweep on Cleveland, that would have basically ended Cleveland's chance of catching them right there, but I thought, after they got rained out the first night, we might end up seeing a 1-2 series against the Indians, so I was pleased with 2-1, and that monster shot by Sano on the Grand Slam was fun to watch, even if it was only a replay of it. I think the Twins magic number is down to 7, so a good series starting tonight against the White Sox should get us down to 3-4.

The Twins are going to win the division, that's clear.  Whether they'll even make it past their first series in the playoffs, that's a whole other matter.  ;)

• Like 1

Luckily for the Twins they play better on the road!

Joking aside, this has been one of the most fun seasons of Twins baseball that I can remember, and I don't think this is a flash in the pan. Nearly all of the core guys are back next year, and there will be free agent pitching options. If Strasburg opts out they should back up the truck for him. He'd be a perfect compliment to Berrios. Fill in the rest as best you can. There are going to be a ton of middle of the rotation starters available this season.

I'd like to see next year look like this:

1. Arraez 2nd
2. Polanco SS
3. Cruz DH
4. Rosario LF
5. Kepler RF
6. Garver C
7. Sano 3rd
8. Gonzalez 1st
9. Buxton CF

With a bench of Cave, Astudillo, Adrianza. MarGo can keep 1st warm for Kiriloff. They shouldn't need to go out and spend much on position players at all.

Back to this season - I think they can keep pace with the Yankees, it will just be a matter of the bullpen continuing to pitch well. I don't see anyone beating the Astros 4 times.

Edited by JDBrocks

I'd lean towards keeping Kepler at the leadoff spot, he's done decently well there, though his power would make more sense later on. I'd be so pleased with that line-up for next season, and if Buxton could stay healthy, that line-up will be beastly.

Rooker would be an interesting option to see up in the majors next year, I think he's played some 1B as well.

1 minute ago, The Gnat said:

I'd lean towards keeping Kepler at the leadoff spot, he's done decently well there, though his power would make more sense later on. I'd be so pleased with that line-up for next season, and if Buxton could stay healthy, that line-up will be beastly.

Rooker would be an interesting option to see up in the majors next year, I think he's played some 1B as well.

Arreaz seems like an ideal leadoff hitter or are thinking he needs to prove more first?

3 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Arreaz seems like an ideal leadoff hitter or are thinking he needs to prove more first?

I'm  more thinking that I don't know I want Kepler betting that low in the order, obviously having more people on base is good, but you want those power hitters up as often as possible. Arreaz is a good table setting hitter, but more power AB's for power seems to make more sense to me

1 minute ago, The Gnat said:

I'm  more thinking that I don't know I want Kepler betting that low in the order, obviously having more people on base is good, but you want those power hitters up as often as possible. Arreaz is a good table setting hitter, but more power AB's for power seems to make more sense to me

That's a good problem to have with that many power hitters. Arraez would also be a good#2 but Polanco seems to being doing real good there

I see it this way - Arraez is easily the OBP guy in the org and deserves as many ABs and pitches as possible. Putting Kepler 5th gives him a chance to drive in a lot more runs, especially when he's protected by Garver and Sano's power behind him. I think this is the best run generating lineup the Twins can put on the field.

20 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

I see it this way - Arraez is easily the OBP guy in the org and deserves as many ABs and pitches as possible. Putting Kepler 5th gives him a chance to drive in a lot more runs, especially when he's protected by Garver and Sano's power behind him. I think this is the best run generating lineup the Twins can put on the field.

Well, Arraez's OBP will skyrocket if he continues to master ground balls that literally dodge infielders. You guys saw that last night, right? Amazing.

• Like 1