Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

3 hours ago, Klomp said:

Arguably just had the best QB season in program history, and he was just a redshirt freshman...

He has a very strong case for that. I watched Bentrim and Simdorn winning all those national championships in the 80s for the Bison as well as Jensen, Wentz, and Stick winning championships in the last decade. Some of them were better runners than Lance and some of them were better passers than Lance. I have not seen a better all around QB season than what Lance put together this year. It is going to be fun watching him for three more years.

13 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

He has a very strong case for that. I watched Bentrim and Simdorn winning all those national championships in the 80s for the Bison as well as Jensen, Wentz, and Stick winning championships in the last decade. Some of them were better runners than Lance and some of them were better passers than Lance. I have not seen a better all around QB season than what Lance put together this year. It is going to be fun watching him for three more years.

Something about Jensen made him the most fun to me. That 8 minute drive at Kansas State capped off by a Jensen running it in himself will always be my #1 NDSU football moment. The stunned and disappointed faces from K-State fans never gets old. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

Something about Jensen made him the most fun to me. That 8 minute drive at Kansas State capped off by a Jensen running it in himself will always be my #1 NDSU football moment. The stunned and disappointed faces from K-State fans never gets old. 

That K-State game closing drives was one of the best NDSU drives I ever watched, but overall Jensen's season wasn't as good; he didn't get it done against Eastern Washington in the playoffs. He was fun to watch but he should of had that first down. It was overtime and the playoffs. But yeah, he was fun to watch and good enough to keep Wentz on the bench for a couple years. I think the ugly Eastern Washington turf or the snow played a factor in Jensen not getting the spot the team needed. At least they learned from that and won eight of the next nine national championships.

I wish the Vikings would learn from their failures rather than repeat them over and over and over again. The letdown after beating the Saints a couple years ago would be so much more tolerable if they didn't repeat it this year.

I suppose maintaining a dynasty is easier at the FCS level than at the NFL level but NDSU is still in territory to which no other FCS program has come close. I so think that the 37 game winning streak is going to end next year right at the season opener. Oregon doesn't have a bad program. Normally I would think that a battle between a duck and a bison would be lopsided in favor of the bison, but the ducks probably end the winning streak.

Late Add:

I move to include North Dakota State in the MN sports thread. I know they are not from MN, but campus is just a stone's throw from the border and the Fargo metropolitan area includes MN towns. Moorhead, MN is only distinguishable by crossing the river and tax rates. It is one metro area no different than Minneapolis and St Paul.  All the fine people that live in Moorhead and Dilworth that consider the thundering herd to be their home team deserve inclusion in the MN sports thread since they are MN residents.

Edited by Cearbhall
Late Add

15 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

Statistically, Lance is already not far behind 2013 Jensen for the best statistical passing season in NDSU history (Jenson 2,793 yards and 34 TDs; Lance 2,786 yards and 28 TDs). Plus Lance adds the element of rushing for 1,100 yards and 14 TDs.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Statistically, Lance is already not far behind 2013 Jensen for the best statistical passing season in NDSU history (Jenson 2,793 yards and 34 TDs; Lance 2,786 yards and 28 TDs). Plus Lance adds the element of rushing for 1,100 yards and 14 TDs.

To be completely fair we should note that NDSU only played 15 games in 2013. They got an extra game this year. Jensen also ran the ball a little so that could be included for a more fair comparison. Also, I should note that Jensen was from Wisconsin so my view of him comes with the negative bias I have against most things from Wisconsin.

Still, with all those things factored in the season that Lance just put up as a redshirt freshman was remarkable and a better all around season than any other in NDSU's long history of football dominance.

Speaking of that history of dominance, some Vikings fans could benefit from the perspective that comes from being a fan of a consistently winning team and what that takes. I am happy for Gophers fans that they enjoyed a decent year for a change. It is sad that many people from the state have only known being a fan of the Vikings and Gophers. I hope that the Vikings show us all soon what it is like. I am almost as big a fan of the Vikings as I am of the Bison. Being the Vikings are in the NFL I would think some winning might get me over the hump enough to get me to stop wearing the green and gold during the week and instead into purple, reserving the Bison colors for Saturdays.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Big move by the Twins, but I’m still curious as to why they were willing to spend the money on a bat, something they didn’t exactly need, but they didn’t get this aggressive with the available pitchers. 

They were in on Wheeler, he took less to go elsewhere for his family. I don’t think they ever had a shot at Cole or Strasburg, and consensus is that Bumgarner wanted to stay where it was warm. I think this shows that they would have paid if they had a shot at an arm.

My hope is that this is leading to a trade for another pitcher. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

They were in on Wheeler, he took less to go elsewhere for his family. I don’t think they ever had a shot at Cole or Strasburg, and consensus is that Bumgarner wanted to stay where it was warm. I think this shows that they would have paid if they had a shot at an arm.

My hope is that this is leading to a trade for another pitcher. 

Agreed.  The Twins problem is a similar problem to that of the Wolves...with all of the money that's available to players, they have more power to choose where they want to play...and more often than not, they're going to take a consistently warm weather location or a location in a bigger market.   

11 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

He's a pretty good defensive player isn't he? Still not thrilled about Sano at first but hopefully he can become a plus defensive player at first while focusing there

Elite defender. And a really good bat, he'll probably be an above average defender at the end of the deal. Sano has done fine at first, and give him time there, he'll be fine and he'll be able to stick there for the whole of his contract with the Twins.