Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

5 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

? Everything I read is it will be done today. At least the Boston / LA part.

Latest reports is that Boston wants a top-10 prospect from Minnesota to finalize the trade. 

Or code for; people were so upset about the announced trade that we need to find a way out of it. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Latest reports is that Boston wants a top-10 prospect from Minnesota to finalize the trade. 

Or code for; people were so upset about the announced trade that we need to find a way out of it. 

do you really think the new FO, from Tampa, is going to make baseball decisions based on fan reaction? If so, good luck to the team.

14 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Then LA needs to put that Top 10 prospect up. Maeda is in no way, shape, or form worth two top 10 prospects. LA made out like bandits in this trade. If they want Betts and Price, they need to kick in. Otherwise Minnesota needs to tell them both to get bent. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Then LA needs to put that Top 10 prospect up. Maeda is in no way, shape, or form worth two top 10 prospects. LA made out like bandits in this trade. If they want Betts and Price, they need to kick in. Otherwise Minnesota needs to tell them both to get bent. 

If Boston wanted to get this deal done, I’m sure they would be asking LA for that prospect. But asking MN for the prospect, when MN is only getting Maeda, tells me that Boston is trying to kill the deal. 

• Like 1

Interesting comments he made at around the 6:30 mark.   Never knew so much crap about him was online but guess it is common today, kid has 200,000+ followers in instagram as well.

Apparently likes football more but picked basketball because of the generational wealth he has a chance in getting.  Kid can play no question but I have always felt he is a better more talented football player than basketball.  Football is more dangerous and with injuries a career can end like that.  But in the NBA there are athletes like him all over the place, in football not so much.  Basketball sure he could be drafted highly with a good season in college or overseas, but if it is not what he loves the most will see what he can really put it in.

And no football will not always be there, especially if you play at Gonzaga!  Surprised he did not go to the University that actually has a football program at least.  

Wish the best for him, arguably one of the best all around athletes in recent memory in the state.  Great kid and an amazing athlete no doubt on one of the best basketball teams in the history of the state potentially.  As good as they are in football, basketball they are ridiculous with arguably 4-6 D1 prospects on the team.  Has happened before in the state with Hopkins but Hopkins did not have the high level elite prospects that Minnehaha Academy has in basketball.  

2 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Twins ended up just going the Gaterol/Maeta trade without the Red Sox in it. Twins are adding in an additional lower level prospect and a comp pick and getting $10 mil and a lower level prospect.

Which I think is just fine.  When you have the amount of prospects such as they do, you need to begin to move them to help you improve now.  While it appears that some are disappointed that Graterol was moved, since he has such a big arm, if we know anything about pitchers, it's that if they get one single arm injury, that could be it.  He may turn out great, but he could also blow his arm out at any moment, and with him, it appears that he's strictly going to end up being a reliever, so relievers are replaceable pieces.

And as far as the Wolves, sometimes a team can achieve addition by subtraction...and I think they will in this case.  They banked on Wiggins maturing and giving forth more effort to help him actually deliver on his talent.  Unfortunately, he's proven that he doesn't have it in him.  And I think that was even clear from some of the comments he made on his arrival with the Warriors.  The guy just doesn't get it...and never will.  He didn't get it when he was here in Lawrence, and many years later, still doesn't get it.  It's unfortunate, but now he's Steve Kerr's problem.  Let's hope KAT finally gets it.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

it appears that he's strictly going to end up being a reliever, so relievers are replaceable pieces.

If you’re willing to pay them. Something that the Twins are not. Especially setup relievers and closers, which Graterol looks like. And how many more years of control did the Twins have on him?

The issue with trading Graterol is that the Twins don’t have pitching to spare. You may say that Graterol may end up strictly as a reliever, but that’s where the Twins really needed him. The Twins bullpen was its weakest link last year. Adding Maeda may strengthen their starting rotation, slightly. But the move weakens the bullpen. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

If you’re willing to pay them. Something that the Twins are not. Especially setup relievers and closers, which Graterol looks like. And how many more years of control did the Twins have on him?

The issue with trading Graterol is that the Twins don’t have pitching to spare. You may say that Graterol may end up strictly as a reliever, but that’s where the Twins really needed him. The Twins bullpen was its weakest link last year. Adding Maeda may strengthen their starting rotation, slightly. But the move weakens the bullpen. 

Fair enough...I know that it was bad this past year, but I'm not familiar enough with what their plan is for this season, nor what kind of depth they've been developing at the minor league level.  

22 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Except that Twins relievers had the best FIP in baseball last year as a group. I wouldn't say the bullpen is a weak link. I would even say that they were a strength in the 2nd half of the season.

May
Duffey
Littell
Romo
Clippard
Rogers

That's a really really good group of relievers. Add Maeda to the mix in the postseason, and there is room to bring up a guy like Duran if they need a flamethrower.

Another item of note - the Twins are well positioned to make another deal mid season. They have quality depth to spare, even at the big league level. I wouldn't be surprised to see Rosario packaged with either Lewis or Larnach plus a lower level player to make a move for another rotation arm. If they don't make a move the playoff roster should look something like this:

Lineup
Kepler RF
Polanco SS
Cruz DH
Donaldson 3B
Garver C
Rosario LF
Sano 1B
Arraez 2B
Buxton CF

Bench
Astudillo  SU
Avila C
Adrianza SU
Cave OF
Gonzalez SU

Starters
Berrios
Odorrizi
Pineda
Maeda
Hill

Bullpen
May
Duffey
Littell
Romo
Clippard
Rogers
Bailey
Dobnak
Duran

Edited by JDBrocks
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

The Twins' bullpen was not the weakest link, starting pitching was. And, they've already added to the bullpen. And, Gaterol is a great unknown at this point.