Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

4 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

I just learned that the Wilf's are part owners of Nashville SC (new MLS expansion team this year).

They bid to try to get the Minnesota MLS team, and lost out to MN United, so it makes sense they invested in a different MLS team. 

I wish they had gotten the MN team too. Not that the Loons have been disappointing, but I think the Wilfs would have been great for it.

31 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I wish they had gotten the MN team too. Not that the Loons have been disappointing, but I think the Wilfs would have been great for it.

Ugh no way. That would have been such a disaster.

1. killing off the established brand and culture

2. the team would always be a 2nd priority by ownership

3. they would play at US Bank

4. they would play at US Bank

The Wilfs are great owners, but with the overall context there is a reason why MLS made the easy choice. 

7 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Parise would have to wave no trade clause, I'm not sure that he would, but it's hard to know. I would think it depends on how long he thinks he'd play, possibly? Odd rumor though, not sure what it means.

I imagine that discussion would have already been had, considering Koivu already indicated that he would not waive his.  Parise must be amenable to it for the discussions to even be had.  

10 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I thought from a cap perspective it would be really dangerous for Parise to be on a different team, in case he retires? 

Russo is going to explain the implications once it becomes official.  I imagine that is a danger, but as I indicated before, I think it might be worth the risk, since he ain't doing the team any favors remaining there.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

It is officially MLS opening week!

Give me all your Loons hot takes and questions. 

Do you think Gregus' height and lanky frame make him look really awkward when he runs?

On a more serious note, who is expected to be the "starter" at forward? I'm assuming it's Amarilla but I really don't know. 

Edited by skywindO2

Just now, skywindO2 said:

Do you think Gregus' height and lanky frame make him look really awkward when he runs?

On a more serious note, who is expected to be the "starter" at forward?

Luis Amarilla is definitely the starting forward, and he has looked awesome in preseason. Toye is the only competition. 

I've always thought Opara looks a little awkward when he runs, and also Miguel Ibarra (now in Seattle :(). Molino also flails his arms around a bit more than seems necessary 

6 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Well I hope he plays to 40 years old.

He's indicated that he plans on it.  Although, of course that could change if he suffers a significant injury.  Plus, if he retires in the last year of the deal, Russo seems convinced that the NHL would step in and make a compromise, since the Wild's competitiveness could suffer dramatically if they have nearly $20M in dead money.