Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

3 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Jeepers.... looking at it, they possibly could start for us.... that is hideous.

Teague, Wiggins, Covington, Saric, Anthony-Towns

I’m pretty ignorant in terms of the NBA... but how is a first team NBA all-defensive player “not much more than a backup?”

13 minutes ago, RpMc said:

I’m pretty ignorant in terms of the NBA... but how is a first team NBA all-defensive player “not much more than a backup?”

Because he's much more than a backup...that statement was just not true. Is he a star? No. But like we've had discussions on players with the Vikings in the past, many fans forget there is a middle ground between star players and backups.

Edited by Klomp

18 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Dario is struggling this year, but he is promising. 

Covington isn’t much more than a backup. 

Dunn and LeVine probably would not be starting here either, but we could have gained more out of either player via trade. 

Patton can be a future starter.

Makkaran hasn’t done anything yet.

At the end im just broken on the trade, got rid of Butler for 2 depth players along with a future starter. 

Dario is struggling this year but he is exactly the type of player everyone thinks we need next to KAT.  Me personally I like the Saric pickup but I think KAT should be at the 4, have thought this for over a year and even said he should be at the 4 prior to this season and people didn't agree.  I just don't think he has the defense to play the 5 atleast not yet, he'd be much better suited as a stretch 4 who can come in and dominate in or out on offense.  Me personally I would have liked a WCS or Whiteside type of player to play the 5 and lock the paint down.

Covington is far more than just a backup

Dunn & Lavine most likely fetch a better return but not under the circumstances we were forced into.  Patton is most likely done, he's already had 3 foot surgeries, 2 on his left foot and 1 on his right and for 7 fters that doesn't bode well, instead of saying he's a future starter how about we say he's a fringe NBA player at this point atleast until he shows otherwise & can stay healthy.  The Wolves already had declined his  3rd yr option so he was likely gone anyways.

As for Markkanen, I still would have drafted Dennis Smith Jr with that 7th pick, I know thats not what happened but I wonder if its what would have happened if a trade didn't go down.

IDK just my .02

I like the trade, I would have preferred the rumored deal with Miami for Richardson/Whiteside & Winslow.  I even think a 1st was supposed to be included though.

17 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Since they don’t play defense in the NBA, being able to play defense doesn’t make you a very good player. 

Exactly my point. 

I get he is such a good defensive player. His WS is pretty high, but he isn’t going to be able to take the ball and dominate. Almost every starter on the team needs to be able to do that now

2 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Exactly my point. 

I get he is such a good defensive player. His WS is pretty high, but he isn’t going to be able to take the ball and dominate. Almost every starter on the team needs to be able to do that now

To beat the Golden St Warriors I guess, but I don't see that a generally reasonable goal.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Worm Guts said:

To beat the Golden St Warriors I guess, but I don't see that a generally reasonable goal.

Ah that’s right, championships shouldn’t be the goal. 

You literally have to put points up in today nba to have a chance. 3/4 these guys make shots tightly covered from deep. 

Defense is pretty much gone in the NBA.

2 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Ah that’s right, championships shouldn’t be the goal. 

You literally have to put points up in today nba to have a chance. 3/4 these guys make shots tightly covered from deep. 

Defense is pretty much gone in the NBA.

In Minnesota, a championship is never going to be an attainable goal in the NBA - players don’t want to come here

On 11/10/2018 at 2:06 PM, SemperFeist said:

I never thought someone would be worse than Kahn. But Thibs has pulled it off. Good job Wolves.

It's not quite as bad as Kahn, but it is rather amazing how quickly Thibs screwed up the masterful job that Flip did. Even I thought Thibs couldn't mess this one up...and he has, marvelously.  But, this trade was probably making the best of a horrible position, that he himself put it into.   

And while people say you have to put up points in the NBA to win...certainly, but if you don't play competent defense, you aren't going to win either.  Even the Warriors can play defense.  Right now, this team can't play any defense, so even an All-1st Team NBA defensive player is going to help there.