Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

On 1/3/2019 at 8:26 AM, gopherwrestler said:

this makes me realize how bad the timberwolves have been at finding and keeping talent. 

I realize it’s a “fairly” young franchise, but Wiggins is 23 years old and the 3rd all time points scorer? 

One of those things that surprises you, but really shouldn’t.

I know this is a few days old and everybody's moved on, but I have been around FF less lately so I wanted to offer my 2 cents while I'm here.

Next year will be Wiggins' 6th year. In 30 years as a franchise, only 11 players have spent time on the roster for at least part of 6 seasons (bolded are guys who were 1st round picks by the Wolves):

Kevin Garnett (14)
Sam Mitchell (10)
Doug West (9)
Wally Szczerbiak (7)
Corey Brewer (6)
Gorgui Dieng (6)
Kevin Love (6)

Mark Madsen (6)
Anthony Peeler (6)
Nikola Pekovic (6)
Ricky Rubio (6)

Keep in mind that a 1st round rookie-scale contract goes 4 years before someone gets extended to a new deal.

Wiggins has played in the 8th-most games in team history and played the 5th-most minutes in team history. Another crazy stat: he's 3rd all-time in 3-pointers made and attempted.

13 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

13 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Two good moves by the Wolves. I am curious to see how Saunders does on the interim basis. I have heard that the Wolves might be going after Fred Hoiberg as their next head coach, w hich would make a good amount of sense.

43 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Two good moves by the Wolves. I am curious to see how Saunders does on the interim basis. I have heard that the Wolves might be going after Fred Hoiberg as their next head coach, w hich would make a good amount of sense.

And what irony would it be that Hoiberg would have replaced Thibs in 2 different places.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Gnat said:

Two good moves by the Wolves. I am curious to see how Saunders does on the interim basis. I have heard that the Wolves might be going after Fred Hoiberg as their next head coach, which would make a good amount of sense.

I very casually follow the Wolves and I mean very casually. I'm glad to hear that Thibs is gone but what about Hoiberg makes sense? Do you think he'd be a good fit? Is he a good coach? Or is it just because he's "one of us" so to speak. All honest questions.

1 minute ago, VikeManDan said:

I very casually follow the Wolves and I mean very casually. I'm glad to hear that Thibs is gone but what about Hoiberg makes sense? Do you think he'd be a good fit? Is he a good coach? Or is it just because he's "one of us" so to speak. All honest questions.

He was very successful at Iowa State. I don't think this is just one of us, I know we were trying to get him prior to him going to Chicago, and generally he's thought of as a good coaching option. I think we'd be pleased with him as a coach and I think he's someone who can probably work well with younger players at least much better than Thibs.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

If Saunders is a guy that these players like and respect there’s no reason to hire anyone else as head coach. 

I tend to agree. The plan seems to be to give Saunders every opportunity to keep the job. And to me, it makes sense.

The interesting thing will be at GM. Layden is essentially fighting for his job in the month-plus before the trade deadline. What kind of moves can he make? Hoiberg would also likely be considered for that position (though the report is that he'd prefer to coach), and another name that's been brought up is Chauncey Billups.

At least one Minnesota team got a win yesterday. Was nice to see the Wolves get the win in Ryan Saunders first game. Wiggins threw down hard, and I really like to see the 10 boards. He really should be averaging 5 or so boards per game and 4 assists as compared to what he is. He's stepped up in the scoring department as of late which is nice to see.