Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

19 hours ago, tyler735 said:

That however isn't a correct statement.

I suppose whether it is correct to call soccer a major sport int he USA depends on ones definition of a major sport. I don't consider nascar or gold major sports in the USA either. Maybe I have a stricter definition than you. Rather than using my definition or your definition perhaps the fairest decision would be whether at least 50% of the population considers it to be a major sport.

I haven't done any studies, but I would guess that the percentage of the population that considers it a major sport is far less than 50%. Similarly, I would guess that the percentage of the population that considers MLB a major sport would be much greater than 50%. Some other sports probably depend on the region. Hockey was and is a major sport up north where I grew up. Down here in southern MN I don't feel like it is a major sport. I went to a high school hockey game last year down here. The attendance was embarrassingly low. Almost as low as the high school soccer games that I have seen the empty seats for when I drive by.

Then again, there seems to be almost no school pride for any sport down here. Basketball draws a bit more than hockey. High school football has a reasonable draw but the kids seem to have no team spirit. They hardly taunt the other team's  fans of intercity rivals with chants. They don't even try to suggest they have more spirit than the other team's fans. The fans of the other teams also seem uninterested in showing team spirit. The generation in high school cares more about staring at their phone than any sport.

What happened to chants like:

Elevator, elevator, elevator shaft. 
You got the elevator.
We got the Shaft!

So, maybe instead of soccer becoming a major sport what will really happen is no physical sports will be major anymore. Esports for the win. Pacman champion of the world will be a bigger deal than heavyweight champion of the world. Remember when boxing used to be something people blocked off time for to watch weekly? My old man used to block off time for that like I block off Sunday for football.

Everything has its time. I don't believe soccer's time is yet nor do I believe football will be major forever. Who is the heavyweight champ of the world right now anyway?

Edited by Cearbhall
  • Like 2

https://www.mnufc.com/post/2019/03/15/brew-hall-team-store-grand-opening

Minnesota United today announced the grand opening of two year-round elements of Allianz Field, the Black & Blue Team Store and the Brew Hall, on Friday, March 22. Located on the northwest corner and north end of the stadium, respectively, the Black & Blue Team Store and Brew Hall will be open that Friday from 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., giving fans a first chance to check out the Loons’ new home, including walking out onto the north end of the concourse. The event will also feature player appearances and a DJ.

The Brew Hall on the north end of the stadium will be the place to be, featuring 96 taps and Element Electronics televisions for keeping track of the action on the pitch and from soccer games all over the world. Covering 4,100 square-feet and featuring a 60-foot bar plus garage doors on the south side that will open to serve fans on the concourse, the Brew Hall is sure to become a destination for soccer fans on both gamedays and non-gamedays.

Brew Hall