Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

8 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

There is just no way to count on another season like this from Santana.

I tend to agree. However, he's not going to have a bad season most likely.

I think that you can go with Berrios/Santana/Starter/Gibson/Mejia

And it would have to be a pretty high end #3 starter, but if the Twins were to bring in someone like Alex Cobb, I think that could work for the playoffs (as long as we don't have to play in the WC game or at least as long as we start Berrios in it).

Also, posted this in the Twins thread in the Baseball Forums.

Trevor May is coming back next year (hopefully), what does he do to the rotation/pen? I know the Twins were looking at rotation for him this season. He has the stuff to be a good starter.

On 27/09/2017 at 4:47 PM, disaacs said:

Tomorrow night...I'm attending my first NHL game (even though it's preseason, it still counts for me) in 25 or 26 years...since whenever I last attended a North Stars game at the Met Center.  It's the Wild-Blues here in KC.  It should be fun for us...my wife has never been to a hockey game period...and the last time I went to one, I'm pretty sure Mike Modano was in his 2nd or 3rd yr in the league.

While I'll never feel about the Wild what I felt about the North Stars, it's always good to get to see some home state teams here in the Heartland (we saw the Heat-Wolves game last year in the preseason).  I just had a flashback to my young days, when I got a poster signed by Dino Ciccarelli and Neal Broten at a restaurant in Plymouth, MN which I believe was called Periwinkle's in the mid-80s.  

I haven't been to a game in years even though the Senators play down the road from my house, as it's pretty expensive and I haven't followed hockey since the 90's. The games are boring and the NHL knows it, which is why we still have to sit through those stupid bare-knuckle boxing matches between the team goons. 

That is correct about Mauer.

As for the pen, bringing in a closer would be nice, I think with Hildenberg, Duffey, Rogers, and Busenitz we have a good group out there, and if we can add in May again (assuming he goes to the pen) and then a closer and probably Dillon Gee as a the long man, there's maybe one spot left in the pen to fill and I don't remember, is Belisle still under contract? Or am I missing any reliever?

38 minutes ago, milanb said:

I haven't been to a game in years even though the Senators play down the road from my house, as it's pretty expensive and I haven't followed hockey since the 90's. The games are boring and the NHL knows it, which is why we still have to sit through those stupid bare-knuckle boxing matches between the team goons. 

The fight that did happen during the game was absolutely ridiculous.  At least in the 80s/90s, there appeared to be some actual anger involved (or at least they covered it up better).  This one looked staged.  I loved it back then when the North Stars and Blackhawks got together...now those were some battles.  I still get angry when I hear the names Ed Olczyk and Chris Chelios.  

Edited by disaacs

It's nice we don't have a ton of guys to worry about keeping around. Should give us lots of time to focus on bringing in the right FAs.

I disagreed with selling Ervin at the deadline, but it probably wouldn't hurt to start looking for his eventual replacement. Probably not good enough to be the staff ace another year.

Lynx won their 4th WNBA Championship in 7 years (they win on the odd number year). 2017 wasn't bad for Minnesota sports, 3 playoff teams, start of MNUFC starts in the MLS, and then there are the Vikings and the Timberwolves. Best thing I can say about the T-Wolves 2017 thus far, is we got Jimmy Butler, last season was a bit disappointing.

9 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Lynx won their 4th WNBA Championship in 7 years (they win on the odd number year). 2017 wasn't bad for Minnesota sports, 3 playoff teams, start of MNUFC starts in the MLS, and then there are the Vikings and the Timberwolves. Best thing I can say about the T-Wolves 2017 thus far, is we got Jimmy Butler, last season was a bit disappointing.

It's just unfortunate that we'll probably never fully appreciate what the Lynx have done.  Especially since they haven't even had their own home court all season long.  

2 minutes ago, disaacs said:

Especially since they haven't even had their own home court all season long.  

I believe it was just part of the season, they were at Target Center for at least the start of the season, and I thought it was the playoffs (or near that) where they moved to Williams Arena.

1 minute ago, The Gnat said:

I believe it was just part of the season, they were at Target Center for at least the start of the season, and I thought it was the playoffs (or near that) where they moved to Williams Arena.

I wasn't sure since I'm not there...but I also heard that they were playing some games at the X too.