Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

2 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

I believe the ownership would have went along with adding payroll but the front office didn't want to overpay in prospects. Would we really have rather traded away Brusdar away for a 1 year rental? He had no problems getting Yankee hitters out

Keuchel was available for money. So was Corbin. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Keuchel was available for money. So was Corbin. 

Keuchel had a worse FIP than Martin Perez this year...

I think you meant Kimbrel, not Corbin. He was injured for a lot of the time he spent with the cubs, and cost them down the stretch by blowing leads.

Edited by JDBrocks

15 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

Keuchel had a worse FIP than Martin Perez this year...

I think you meant Kimbrel, not Corbin. He was injured for a lot of the time he spent with the cubs, and cost them down the stretch by blowing leads.

No. I meant Corbin in the off season. And Keuchel had been good since his terrible start. 

9 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

No. I meant Corbin in the off season. And Keuchel had been good since his terrible start. 

Gotcha. Point stands that Kuechel’s peripheral numbers are terrible. 

Point also stands that losing two games in the post season is on the players, not ownership. If the bullpen had performed the way it has for the last 2 months, we aren’t having this conversation.

ownership has an absolute responsibility to build on this foundation this offseason, but players play the game. I expect a major run at frontline starters this year.

6 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Gotcha. Point stands that Kuechel’s peripheral numbers are terrible. 

Point also stands that losing two games in the post season is on the players, not ownership. If the bullpen had performed the way it has for the last 2 months, we aren’t having this conversation.

ownership has an absolute responsibility to build on this foundation this offseason, but players play the game. I expect a major run at frontline starters this year.

Every year they say they tried to get good players.....I am not interested in making runs, but the FO actually adding players.

And yes, the players have stunk it up. But to think there wasnt a budget decision to go low on pitching seems unrealistic, given decades of ownership history. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Every year they say they tried to get good players.....I am not interested in making runs, but the FO actually adding players.

And yes, the players have stunk it up. But to think there wasnt a budget decision to go low on pitching seems unrealistic, given decades of ownership history. 

This year they did get good players though... players that set the all time single season home run record.

Can we also acknowledge that the bullpen had really great metrics this year, and was the strength of the team down the stretch as the offense slowed down? 

There has also been a philosophical shift in the way the team plays the game.

If there isn’t a significant improvement made to the pitching rotation this offseason I will be with you and everyone else being upset with ownership.

• Like 3

On 10/5/2019 at 7:38 PM, vikesfan89 said:

Also this is the first day I watched gopher football. Has the schedule been that easy getting them to 5-0 or are they playing some good football?

They've played mostly winnable games, except for the Fresno State game, which was on the road.  They've been inconsistent, but good enough to win. We won't know who they truly are until the Penn State game.  The talent is certainly there, but they are still developing.  

And on the Twins, as I responded to AJ Mansour on Twitter, when it comes to Twins-Yankees, I choose not to have hope until they prove it...and they've yet to prove it.  The ownership situation doesn't matter, since they aren't the ones on the field.  It comes down to the players...Pohlad owned the team when they won their World Series, and especially in '87, they didn't have comparable talent to the Tigers or the Cards, yet they still won.  In '91, they were a better team, but arguably the Blue Jays may have had better talent and certainly the Braves had better pitching (but they didn't have Jack), yet they still won.  This current team has enough talent to compete with the Yankees, they just have to show that they can.  And thus far, they have not.  

Edited by swede700

On 10/5/2019 at 7:38 PM, vikesfan89 said:

Also this is the first day I watched gopher football. Has the schedule been that easy getting them to 5-0 or are they playing some good football?

Their opponents are pretty good, even though they aren't Power 5 caliber. But we've had some breaks, as the last few opponents have had either inexperienced QBs or their starter goes down to injury during the game.

Are we Rose Bowl caliber in a traditional sense? Probably not. But taking advantage of our schedule can help us compete for a division title and get us to the conference championship game. Most of our toughest games are at home, which should help.

We have moments where we look like an unstoppable force, but also moments where inexperience shines through and we look beatable.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Their opponents are pretty good, even though they aren't Power 5 caliber. But we've had some breaks, as the last few opponents have had either inexperienced QBs or their starter goes down to injury during the game.

Are we Rose Bowl caliber in a traditional sense? Probably not. But taking advantage of our schedule can help us compete for a division title and get us to the conference championship game. Most of our toughest games are at home, which should help.

We have moments where we look like an unstoppable force, but also moments where inexperience shines through and we look beatable.

According to the Fargo Flash, the Gophers are going to be in the playoffs.  xD