Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

1 hour ago, Worm Guts said:

I don't think that's true.

You're right, it was the third. Lost 3 in a row 7/14-7/17 vs Cleveland and NYM and 4 in a row 8/6 - 8/9 to Atlanta and Cleveland.

It was the only time that they were swept in a 3 game series this year.

Tough series no doubt but I think the twins will be back next year to try again. Who do we have to sacrifice to not have the Yankees?

Hopefully they use this as a learning experience and are about to bounce back. It would've been nice to pull out at least 1 win

11 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

Tough series no doubt but I think the twins will be back next year to try again. Who do we have to sacrifice to not have the Yankees?

Hopefully they use this as a learning experience and are about to bounce back. It would've been nice to pull out at least 1 win

Unfortunately, this was probably going to be one of their best chances, considering the White Sox are probably going to be pretty good next year.  The Twins will need to upgrade their pitching significantly to try to hold them off for another year.  

Edited by swede700

11 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Unfortunately, this was probably going to be one of their best chances, considering the White Sox are probably going to be pretty good next year.  The Twins will need to upgrade their pitching significantly to try to hold them off for another year.  

I disagree. I think there is promise, but outside of Giolito, what makes their pitching a probable strength? They still have holes all over the field too. The pen is not very good. The white Sox are all potential. The Twins have made the post season 2 of the last three year and set all kinds of records this year. The Twins are pretty easily the class of the division for a bit as long as the Twins can sign guys to fill out the rotation.

13 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I'm still boggled how a 100 win team can't even get 1 win off of the Yankees.They truly are the Twins kryptonite. But back to the point, I agree they need to majorly upgrade pitching to even be in contention next year. You cant rely on hitting 275+ homers a year every year. I really wish they would have pulled the trigger at the trade deadline for a huge name like Madison Bumgarner. Some kind of closer of some sort... You can't have 7 run innings in the playoffs and hope to proceed. 

6 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I disagree. I think there is promise, but outside of Giolito, what makes their pitching a probable strength? They still have holes all over the field too. The pen is not very good. The white Sox are all potential. The Twins have made the post season 2 of the last three year and set all kinds of records this year. The Twins are pretty easily the class of the division for a bit as long as the Twins can sign guys to fill out the rotation.

They have all sorts of financial capability to improve their roster in free agency...and their pitching roster is going to be better next season...they're getting that guy off Tommy John, who can apparently still throw 100+ after the surgery.  If they can sign one of the top free agent starting pitchers (which they probably could because Chicago is a more attractive market than the Twin Cities), they could easily go from mid-70 wins to upper 80s in wins...and I can probably easily guarantee you that the Twins aren't going to be able to duplicate their HR totals next year.   The Twins have to upgrade the starting pitching, period.  Which means the Pohlads will have to overpay to do so to just even get a seat at the table with a guy like Bumgarner.  

I'm glad they didn't deal for Bumgarner - a 1 year rental in decline. Taylor Rogers was one of the better closers in baseball this year. I think the rookies were not ready for the big spot this year (Littel, Dobnak, Stashak) and Tyler Duffy had been a machine until the post season. I also think some of this falls on Rocco. He didn't really put guys in a position to succeed, and I hope he learns from it. Lastly, the Twins hitter stunk with guys on base. Clearing the bases in one of those big spots might have jump started the rest of the team but they didn't deliver. I don't think anything they would have done at the deadline would have changed this series.

3 minutes ago, swede700 said:

They have all sorts of financial capability to improve their roster in free agency...and their pitching roster is going to be better next season...they're getting that guy off Tommy John, who can apparently still throw 100+ after the surgery.  If they can sign one of the top free agent starting pitchers (which they probably could because Chicago is a more attractive market than the Twin Cities), they could easily go from mid-70 wins to upper 80s in wins...and I can probably easily guarantee you that the Twins aren't going to be able to duplicate their HR totals next year.   The Twins have to upgrade the starting pitching, period.  Which means the Pohlads will have to overpay to do so to just even get a seat at the table with a guy like Bumgarner.  

Jerry Reinsdorf has not been a guy to go out an buy talent, and the Twins also have all kinds of financial flexibility. Kopech still needs to prove that he can pitch in the big leagues, and especially after surgery. Cease stunk this year. To say that they are farther off than the Twins right now would be an understatement. The 

I keep hearing that they aren't going to be able to duplicate homerun totals and I'm not sure why that is even a point. It's a record, it's never been duplicated. Even if they drop 60 home runs they would still be a top 10 home run hitting team. I don't expect a drastic drop either. Sano missed 50+ games, Garver didn't play 100 games, Kepler missed 28 games and played injured. The team's approach has changed and will continue to be a power hitting team.

I get bracing for the worst, but let's stop pretending that the Twins aren't young and talented and have actually proven something.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I'm glad they didn't deal for Bumgarner - a 1 year rental in decline. Taylor Rogers was one of the better closers in baseball this year. I think the rookies were not ready for the big spot this year (Littel, Dobnak, Stashak) and Tyler Duffy had been a machine until the post season. I also think some of this falls on Rocco. He didn't really put guys in a position to succeed, and I hope he learns from it. Lastly, the Twins hitter stunk with guys on base. Clearing the bases in one of those big spots might have jump started the rest of the team but they didn't deliver. I don't think anything they would have done at the deadline would have changed this series.

How didn't he put players in position to succeed? Are you talking about the bullpen?