Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

22 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

They got lucky against one real team. They got destroyed today. What were those two running plays on third and ten? Were they even trying?

They didn’t get lucky. That’s a disingenuous take.

This is a team that hasn’t been able to beat bottom feeder teams for decades. They had one blowout loss, and one close loss against perennial top 25 teams. Looking at this ten win season as anything other than a success for the Gophers is looking for something to complain about, IMO.

This does raise the level of expectation going forward, though. This was a massive building block season, and I expect this to happen more frequently going forward. I expect them to win the West. I expect them to recruit and field a better DL. I expect them to keep kids in state.

the win against PSU was not lucky, though. 

PSU threw a terrible interception at the goal line.... There was no luck at the end? We'll disagree, I guess.

And losing to good teams is kind of my point.... You aren't super good if you lose more often than you win against actual teams. You might be good, but you aren't great. Let's see what happens in their bowl game. 

It was 3rd and 23 when Penn St threw that interception,  I'm not sure it should be considered lucky they didn't convert.

Still the Gophers really undermined any credibility they had gained by getting embarrassed by Wisconsin.

Edited by Worm Guts

8 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

PSU threw a terrible interception at the goal line.... There was no luck at the end? We'll disagree, I guess.

And losing to good teams is kind of my point.... You aren't super good if you lose more often than you win against actual teams. You might be good, but you aren't great. Let's see what happens in their bowl game. 

Minnesota led the whole game, and forced them to force a throw into the end zone on 3rd and 23. 

My point is that the Gophers used to lose to bad teams and get embarrassed by good teams. They beat the teams they were supposed to beat, won a game as an underdog with a lot of hype surrounding them, and were only embarrassed by Wisconsin. They should be proud of the season and we as fans should see the arrow pointing up. 

I think this era of Gopher's football will play in a Rose Bowl.

Sure, the loss was disappointing, but the season overall has been a tremendous success.  Most, if not all here, at the start of the season, expected that the team needed to go 8-4 to be considered progress.  This team went 2 games above that, and destroyed the bottom-feeders that they usually struggle against.  It sucks that they weren't able to finish it off with a game vs. OSU, but they'll be back at it again, because their offensive line (which was tremendously young) will be back and be significantly better.  

Next year's schedule will also be tougher early next year, consider they'll be playing Iowa in September and be at Camp Randall in October, rather than later as they usually do.  They also get Michigan and Michigan State back, while Penn State and Rutgers fall off.  BYU will also be coming to town...as well as that d-bag MN kid Lane Kiffin and his Florida Atlantic Owls.  

Bummer to lose to the Badgers, that's for sure, would have been nice to make it to the B1G Ten Championship game. OVerall, a successful Gopher season.

Now, if the Wolves could win at home, that would be great.

And the Wild actually are showing up and are now over .500, though still very low in the standings.

Big Ten coaches have selected [3rd year coach] P.J. Fleck as their choice for the Big Ten’s Hayes-Schembechler Coach of the Year. Fleck was honored with the award after leading the Minnesota Golden Gophers to their first 10-win regular season since 1905.

Minnesota Golden Gophers sophomore defensive back Antoine Winfield Jr. has been named the Big Ten’s Tatum-Woodson Defensive Back of the Year, in addition to being a unanimous selection for first-team All-Big Ten.  [As a sophomore, he led the Gophers this year in tackles and led the Big 10 in interceptions by a DB with 7, no one else had more than 3]

Source = thedailygopher.com

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

So Twins offered Wheeler a 5 year deal, but he ended up going to the Phillies, I'm sure for more money, which they need to spend with Harper. Time to get Cole (hahhahahaha), or maybe MadBum (could possibly happen).

Where's the proverbial "cheap Pohlads" comment?  

42 minutes ago, since72 said:

Big Ten coaches have selected [3rd year coach] P.J. Fleck as their choice for the Big Ten’s Hayes-Schembechler Coach of the Year. Fleck was honored with the award after leading the Minnesota Golden Gophers to their first 10-win regular season since 1905.

Minnesota Golden Gophers sophomore defensive back Antoine Winfield Jr. has been named the Big Ten’s Tatum-Woodson Defensive Back of the Year, in addition to being a unanimous selection for first-team All-Big Ten.  [As a sophomore, he led the Gophers this year in tackles and led the Big 10 in interceptions by a DB with 7, no one else had more than 3]

Source = thedailygopher.com

Carter Coughlin was named to the Second Team and several other defensive players were honorable mention.  

• Like 1