Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

2 hours ago, TENINCH said:

Colorado is destroying the Wild 55 shots on goal compared 16 by the Wild.

Sucks to have a clunker, but they happen now and then. We were missing a defensemen, and another got hurt during the game. 

3 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

is this a good hire?

I think some are going to be disappointed because the team was rumored to be after some more higher profile/established coaches like Moser and Musselman who are both still coaching in the March Madness Tournament. 

But I think many are going to warm up to him quickly, from what I’ve read. Not as “in your face with optimism” as Fleck, but a similar coach that is viewed as a good recruiter, and who’ll create a strong culture. 

1 hour ago, gopherwrestler said:

I know nothing about basketball, but Gophers....

is this a good hire?

He knows association basketball in Minnesota, so he’s hopefully going to be a good in-state recruiter as he has those relationships.

Still probably won’t keep the blue-chip kids in-state, but we are to the point where we have 50 or so kids in this state getting D1 looks every year, and we need to stop losing those type of kids that will stick around for all four years like Wisconsin does so well (3 seniors, including 2 of their best players, are Minnesota born). 

8 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The Timberwolves are the definition of awful. Houston has gone on a 20 game losing streak and the Wolves are still 2 wins worse. 

And they need to continue to lose, so they can have the best chance of keeping their pick.  

15 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I think some are going to be disappointed because the team was rumored to be after some more higher profile/established coaches like Moser and Musselman who are both still coaching in the March Madness Tournament. 

But I think many are going to warm up to him quickly, from what I’ve read. Not as “in your face with optimism” as Fleck, but a similar coach that is viewed as a good recruiter, and who’ll create a strong culture. 

Ben Johnson played a DeLaSalle back in late 90s.  I remember watching him play, has been an assistant and paid his dudes for years.  Started out as a GA at Dayton in 2005.  Been an assistant ever since.  Of course I would have loved Moser and Musselman but doubt either one of them would be going anywhere.  I would have loved John Beilein as well but not sure he wants to coach and might go to a bigger school like Indiana.

Keeping good players in state is a great idea because there are so many of them compared to football where there is not nearly as many.  Not sure Ben Johnson can do that though, I like his temperament as a player and a coach but clearly has never been a HC before.

I hope he hires Dave Thorson, his DeLaSalle head coach and one of the best high school basketball coaches in the states history.  Thorson is currently at Colorado State where he was hired by Niko Medved who had connections to Thorson.  Thorson also has local connections and great energy as a person in general.  Will be curious if Ben Johnson can hire him away and get some other top assistants.  

Not a splash hire but Pitino was not either really because only reason anyone knew him is because of his dad and I am sure they thought they could maybe get his dad to come also later on and be his assistant.  Clearly that was not the case, and Richard was not the best communicator and is not nearly as likable as his father it seems.