Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Watching the NHL lottery and kinda find it interesting how they approach it, They dont drop any ping pong balls live on TV or anything just walk out with the stack of teams in the draft order and read them off as is.

14 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

Being honest, did you know without looking it up that the US ever had a men's team make it into the World Cup soccer tournament?

I certainly didn't. I had heard about the women's team being there. One of the ladies used to either be dating or married to a football player.

I have no idea whether the US Men's team has ever made a World Cup...I just assume they had by happenstance at least once.  I know the women's team has certainly.  🤣

The US has never finished worse than 3rd since the Women's World Cup started.

1991 - Champions

1995 - 3rd

1999 - Champions

2003 - 3rd

2007 - 3rd

2011 - 2nd (lost on penalties in the Final)

2015 - Champions

2019 - Champions

The current USWNT is completely dominant. There are only a couple teams that can even make games competitive. 

19 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

Being honest, did you know without looking it up that the US ever had a men's team make it into the World Cup soccer tournament?

I certainly didn't. I had heard about the women's team being there. One of the ladies used to either be dating or married to a football player.

I'm not a big soccer guy at all, but this seems weird to me.  The US men's team made the World Cup every cycle from 90-2014.

3 hours ago, Worm Guts said:

I'm not a big soccer guy at all, but this seems weird to me.  The US men's team made the World Cup every cycle from 90-2014.

Wow, it is impressive that they made the tournament. I hardly knew there was even a US national team for men's soccer. One way I recall the fact they exists was seeing a headline a year or two ago about the men's team getting paid more than the women's team. Obviously, I didn't click into the article but on the surface it seems absurd that a team that most don't know exist is getting paid more than the women's team that I had actually seen some coverage on.

Vixen travel to Arlington, TX this weekend for the WFA game of the week. Finally excited to get a true test of our team. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RpMc said:

Vixen travel to Arlington, TX this weekend for the WFA game of the week. Finally excited to get a true test of our team. 

Are the offensive linewomen bigger in Texas?

Speaking of the men's national team...

qplEUWP.jpeg

Nation's League champions. Absolutely insane game.

However, the entire country of Mexico should be embarrassed for the behavior of their fans, and I hope CONCACAF (finally) issues some strong sanctions.  

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

Nation's League champions. Absolutely insane game.

However, the entire country of Mexico should be embarrassed for the behavior of their fans, and I hope CONCACAF (finally) issues some strong sanctions.  

What happened?

1 hour ago, mattyice0401 said:

What happened?

1. They routinely use a homophobic slur as one of their chants. CONCACAF (governing body of soccer in NA/CA/Caribbean) needed to put in new rules to prevent it, one of them being that the refs need to stop the game if it happens, which they did towards the end of the game. 

2. After the US scored to go ahead, they threw bottles and garbage at the celebrating players, and one of them got hit in the head and needed medical attention. At the end of the game it happened again after a foul, and this time one of the Mexican players ended up taking a bottle to the head.

There was also other stuff like someone running out onto the field, and the Mexican coach got thrown out of the game because he bothered the ref while he was looking at a video replay.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

1. They routinely use a homophobic slur as one of their chants. CONCACAF (governing body of soccer in NA/CA/Caribbean) needed to put in new rules to prevent it, one of them being that the refs need to stop the game if it happens, which they did towards the end of the game. 

2. After the US scored to go ahead, they threw bottles and garbage at the celebrating players, and one of them got hit in the head and needed medical attention. At the end of the game it happened again after a foul, and this time one of the Mexican players ended up taking a bottle to the head.

There was also other stuff like someone running out onto the field, and the Mexican coach got thrown out of the game because he bothered the ref while he was looking at a video replay.

Yeah they definitely should face some penalties for that, Mexico is very passionate about soccer but theres no excuse for that.

Wonder if they could do something to affect their WC bid? Kappa. whenever that is

• 2 weeks later...