Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

11 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

I've read a ton of reports. I assume you've watched him play a lot? Why the snark? 

I haven't, but you seemed absolutely certain that he's not a player and very dismissive. You ask why the snark but your response to me was roughly "yuck" and a snarky joke?

No response for the other options? You've got to give up something of value to get something of value back. Martin is a great prospect, he's just blocked at the moment and would likely fetch a higher return than Lewis, and the Twins hold all of the information on Lewis's medicals. Spend from a position of strength to address the most glaring weakness on the team - big league ready starting pitching. 

Something like Austin Martin and Trevor Larnach for Montas and Nick Allen would make sense for the Twins.

6 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I haven't, but you seemed absolutely certain that he's not a player and very dismissive. You ask why the snark but your response to me was roughly "yuck" and a snarky joke?

No response for the other options? You've got to give up something of value to get something of value back. Martin is a great prospect, he's just blocked at the moment and would likely fetch a higher return than Lewis, and the Twins hold all of the information on Lewis's medicals. Spend from a position of strength to address the most glaring weakness on the team - big league ready starting pitching. 

Something like Austin Martin and Trevor Larnach for Montas and Nick Allen would make sense for the Twins.

Most sites have Lewis as the second best prospect, so he's about as valuable as Martin. I prefer Martin's very high floor to Lewis' much wider error bars, personally. I'd start Martin as the everyday LF right now if I was the GM.....that's how I feel about him. 

I'm not sure Oakland would want Trevor, but they do prefer close the majors prospects like Martin for sure. I do think Larnach is a legit starting LFer though.....

As for Wallner, in addition to his issues as a hitter? I'm not a fan of bat only players unless they are ELITE, like top 10 hitter types. I don't know if he can play D....we'll see I guess. I also tend to hold it against those players that the Twins drafted them that high, when pitchers and up the middle guys were there, which is unfair to them (but, hey, I am pretty sure I was right about Rooker....).

• Like 1

I like Lewis's ceiling, tools, and versatility more than Martin. I'm willing to bet that the investment the Twins have made in his development and rehab make them less inclined to move him than Martin that they just acquired in a deal last year.

5 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I like Lewis's ceiling, tools, and versatility more than Martin. I'm willing to bet that the investment the Twins have made in his development and rehab make them less inclined to move him than Martin that they just acquired in a deal last year.

I'm not sure they aren't equally versatile. Lewis has a slight edge at SS probably, but Martin has a huge edge as a hitter right now. Lewis is faster, but Martin is more than fast enough to play any position. I get the ceiling part......I get it. I think people forget Martin was viewed as the best hitter in his draft class.....which was very recent. His ceiling is not exactly low. But, I think at this point, we've each made our points. We just have a different risk/reward preference here.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I was certain the move was for Story. The opt outs were the only way this deal happened , but at least it was a big swing.

It’s a good move, but this still feels like a team with .500 ceiling. They need Gray to catch lightning in a bottle and for Ryan to develop into a true Ace if they’re going to have any shot at overperforming. I just don’t see much else. 

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

It’s a good move, but this still feels like a team with .500 ceiling. They need Gray to catch lightning in a bottle and for Ryan to develop into a true Ace if they’re going to have any shot at overperforming. I just don’t see much else. 

Doesn’t feel like they are done, to me. 

I don’t think Ryan is better than a #3 long term. Time to trade for another starter, and bring up some of the prospects to start working out of the pen. The offense and up the middle defense is playoff caliber. Gotta get, at minimum, one high end starter to compete with the Sox.

Gray, Montas, Ryan, Ober, Bundy could get them to a WC game.

4 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

They were almost that the last two thirds of last year, without Buxton or Kiriloff, and no Berrios or Pineda the last third. I think they are better than people think.

4 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

The twins could surprise some people if a few players have breakout years. 

What does this signing mean for Martin and Lewis? Are they trade bait for a pitcher?  Or could we see Martin at 3rd at some point or Lewis in center of Buxton goes on the IL?

Martin is not an infielder, imo. Maybe 2b. I’d guess Lewis is a 3rd baseman, Martin could back up Buxton or play in left.

I still feel there’s a move for a pitcher coming.

9 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

The twins could surprise some people if a few players have breakout years. 

What does this signing mean for Martin and Lewis? Are they trade bait for a pitcher?  Or could we see Martin at 3rd at some point or Lewis in center of Buxton goes on the IL?

Martin is either a great LF or traded, where he becomes a great LF.