Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

On 5/9/2022 at 11:09 AM, mattyice0401 said:

Tough loss with the Blue D core being pretty depleted, If we end up losing the series I will be highlighting this game as the turning point as it was a golden opportunity

At least you don't root for the Penguins!

Granted, I don't really care about hockey, but I root for them if I can score tickets or there isn't anything else on TV haha

12 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Granted, I don't really care about hockey, but I root for them if I can score tickets or there isn't anything else on TV haha

I don't believe you even born yet when I first achieved a little bit of disdain of the Penguins with the way Lemieux and Jagr absolutely waxed the North Stars in the Stanley Cup Finals in '91.  The North Stars shouldn't even have been in that Finals, but they rode the hot streak of Jon Casey in the playoffs...and then 2 years later, they were gone to Dallas.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Man atleast yall have some Cups within the last 10 years the Wild havent sniffed it since 03 and that was the WCF So Id much rather be the Penguins in this scenario lol

• Like 1

10 hours ago, swede700 said:

I don't believe you even born yet when I first achieved a little bit of disdain of the Penguins with the way Lemieux and Jagr absolutely waxed the North Stars in the Stanley Cup Finals in '91.  The North Stars shouldn't even have been in that Finals, but they rode the hot streak of Jon Casey in the playoffs...and then 2 years later, they were gone to Dallas.  

1992. Man thats really tough to have to watch.

How have you managed to keep your sanity this entire time? lol

13 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

1992. Man thats really tough to have to watch.

How have you managed to keep your sanity this entire time? lol

I'm not sure I have, as I still get a little fired up when I see anything about the Dallas Stars.  😜  The Minnesota Wild aren't the same to me, and probably never will be.  They're fine, but I'm not that attached to them (but that's probably also because I haven't lived there for most of their entire existence, as I left during their inaugural season)  I practically grew up at the Met Center where the North Stars played as that was the cheapest ticket in town, so my family could afford it. 

On another note, the fact that Jagr is still playing (albeit now in Europe) is absolutely absurd.  The dude is like a year older than me.        

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Marion Barber III, a onetime starting NFL running back known for his bruising style of gaining yards, died yesterday. He was 38 years old.

ESPN reported that Barber was found in what police believe was his own apartment in Frisco, Tex. They went there in response to a “welfare concern” and discovered a deceased male inside the apartment. No cause of death has been determined and it’s unclear who made the call asking for a welfare check or what prompted it.

https://www.theroot.com/former-nfl-running-back-marion-barber-dead-at-38-1849007351

I woke up to that this morning, and was pretty sad about it.  He always seemed to be a pretty good guy and his family is pretty solid, but I understand he's had troubles here and there after retirement.  Don't know if that played a factor here, but I'd have to think that it did, because people don't generally just pass away at 38 without some other kind of factor in play (although it certainly can in rare occasions).

Edited by swede700

53 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

Twins need to trade Polanco after last night's BS.  Can't have these guys who just fold in the clutch to the Yankees.

They've proven over 20 years that you can turn over the entire team and it doesn't make a significant difference.  

Polanco is not the Twins' problem. Lack of top flight arms in the starting rotation is the Twins' problem. This team is, and will continue to be, built to be competitve in the regular season and to get bounced in the first round of the playoffs. It will stay this way until they decide they want to baloon their salary cap to acquire pitching or let go of their top prospects to secure young, electric starters with team control. 

By all accounts, the clubhouse has great chemistry this season. Polanco, as a veteran and long-tenured player, is part of that. Getting rid of him for one bad game agaisnt the Yankees is akin to something Mike Zimmer would do with a kicker. 

• Like 2