Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

4 hours ago, Worm Guts said:

The ball was hit directly at Polanco and he ran out of the way. That also wasn't only play he screwed up. He committed an error the next inning.

Polanco is a staple of this team and clubhouse and has by and large carried them offensively for the past few seasons. He’s been very good at 2nd this year. Regarding that play, Correa came over and the shortstop has authority. Polanco went to second because Correa stepped in.

The Twins need to get their rotation healthy (4 starters on IL?) and add an ace caliber arm  (Montas or Castillo are my preference) with some of their prospects. Kirilloff and Martin are both expendable at this point, IMO.

A rotation of Castillo, Gray, Ryan as the top three in the post season would be more competitive than they’ve been since the Santana era.

4 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

Polanco is a staple of this team and clubhouse and has by and large carried them offensively for the past few seasons. He’s been very good at 2nd this year. Regarding that play, Correa came over and the shortstop has authority. Polanco went to second because Correa stepped in.

The Twins need to get their rotation healthy (4 starters on IL?) and add an ace caliber arm  (Montas or Castillo are my preference) with some of their prospects. Kirilloff and Martin are both expendable at this point, IMO.

A rotation of Castillo, Gray, Ryan as the top three in the post season would be more competitive than they’ve been since the Santana era.

Montas, please

4 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

Correa definitely didn’t step in, he barely moved.

14 hours ago, Worm Guts said:

Correa definitely didn’t step in, he barely moved.

It doesn’t matter. At all. You don’t trade a team leader and clubhouse guy because of one bad game against one of the World Series favorites. We won’t have anyone left if that’s the case. 

Knee jerk reactions: why we have Greg Joseph in a kicking competition and Las Vegas has Daniel Carlson. 

6 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

It doesn’t matter. At all. You don’t trade a team leader and clubhouse guy because of one bad game against one of the World Series favorites. We won’t have anyone left if that’s the case. 

Knee jerk reactions: why we have Greg Joseph in a kicking competition and Las Vegas has Daniel Carlson. 

Let’s not exaggerate Polanco’s value.

1 hour ago, Worm Guts said:

Let’s not exaggerate Polanco’s value.

Reached base 3 times today, scored a run and drove one in. If we’re gonna knee jerk, then we should send him to the all star game, no? 

He’s a 2 WAR player as of today. This is not the scapegoat you are searching for. 

Edited by wcblack34
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

If Lewis didn't get injured I could see trading Polanco and having Arraez or Lewis play there.  Not because of 1 play though. 

Also I've watched maybe a few innings this year so I have no idea what I'm talking about

Who is trading FOR Polanco? He's an older player, meaning that only a playoff team wants him. Which playoff team needs a 2B, and will give the Twins something they want in return?

This isn't how MLB works....not even a little.

Also, he's going to be around league median or better in terms of value. What, exactly, do people expect? He's currently 12th in fWAR......seriously. He's hitting 13% better than the MLB average hitter.....

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Who is trading FOR Polanco? He's an older player, meaning that only a playoff team wants him. Which playoff team needs a 2B, and will give the Twins something they want in return?

This isn't how MLB works....not even a little.

Also, he's going to be around league median or better in terms of value. What, exactly, do people expect? He's currently 12th in fWAR......seriously. He's hitting 13% better than the MLB average hitter.....

Obviously we aren't going to get an ace pitcher for him but I could see a team offering an prospect or 2 or maybe a decent relief pitcher. I don't know if any playoff teams need a 2nd baseman that can play short but worth the new playoff format,  more teams are considered potential playoff teams now. Average to decent players get traded all of the time.  There wouldn't be any point in trading him now with Lewis out  but an argument could be made to shop him if they still needed a spot for Lewis to play

2 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Obviously we aren't going to get an ace pitcher for him but I could see a team offering an prospect or 2 or maybe a decent relief pitcher. I don't know if any playoff teams need a 2nd baseman that can play short but worth the new playoff format,  more teams are considered potential playoff teams now. Average to decent players get traded all of the time.  There wouldn't be any point in trading him now with Lewis out  but an argument could be made to shop him if they still needed a spot for Lewis to play

So a playoff team is giving up a good RP? You need to find a team that needs a 2B, is a playoff team, and that has RPs to give up.....

Players like him get traded for prospects. I guess, maybe, if you can find a playoff team that needs a 2B, you could do a three way trade....but I don't think anyone here is being realistic. Also, he's "not hitting well" and is league median in fWAR. If he returns to his normal form at all, he's a top 10 2B again. Why are they trading him? 

He's also an emergency SS......if CC is hurt for a long time.

3 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

So a playoff team is giving up a good RP? You need to find a team that needs a 2B, is a playoff team, and that has RPs to give up.....

Players like him get traded for prospects. I guess, maybe, if you can find a playoff team that needs a 2B, you could do a three way trade....but I don't think anyone here is being realistic. Also, he's "not hitting well" and is league median in fWAR. If he returns to his normal form at all, he's a top 10 2B again. Why are they trading him? 

He's also an emergency SS......if CC is hurt for a long time.

I'd aim for prospects but there is a chance that a team with a loaded bullpen would trade one away. 

Arraez seems like a better player at this point and Lewis looked like he could help the team now and in the future.  Arraez can play first but that could be covered by Miranda and potentially Kirilloff

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

I'd aim for prospects but there is a chance that a team with a loaded bullpen would trade one away. 

Arraez seems like a better player at this point and Lewis looked like he could help the team now and in the future.  Arraez can play first but that could be covered by Miranda and potentially Kirilloff

Arraez is not a reliable everyday 2B, though. He's a liability in the field. Fangraphs had the Twins 2B position rated 7th in MLB this year. 

This team should not be dealing big league everyday starters for prospects, they should be trading prospects to address problems on the big league roster.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

Arraez is not a reliable everyday 2B, though. He's a liability in the field. Fangraphs had the Twins 2B position rated 7th in MLB this year. 

This team should not be dealing big league everyday starters for prospects, they should be trading prospects to address problems on the big league roster.

I'm continually flabbergasted fans want to weaken the MLB team this year. 

• Like 2

On 6/13/2022 at 12:34 PM, JDBrocks said:

No reason to trade prospects if the team is just going to fold against the Yankees in the playoffs.

• Like 1