Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

Tyler Mahle is a high end #2 starter, could be much better in Minneapolis with a more pitching friendly park. He's been one of the better pitchers in baseball over the past few seasons, and has another year of club control after this year.

39 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The Twins hit a home run at the deadline. One will tell if the moves pan out, but for once they didn’t sit on their hands, and they checked every box. 

And as far as I can tell,  they traded a few good prospects but didn't any of the top ones that are close to the majors

• Like 1

Spencer Steer was the best prospect that they gave up, and he was blocked for 3 years minimum.

they added an impact starter and two huge bullpen upgrades, with a back up catcher in place at AAA. They kept the near term future intact and improved for a chance to win now. Only one rental in Fulmer for a low minors prospect. This is the best trade deadline I can remember.

now get healthy and lock up the division.

• Like 2

On 8/2/2022 at 3:45 PM, SemperFeist said:

The Twins hit a home run at the deadline. One will tell if the moves pan out, but for once they didn’t sit on their hands, and they checked every box. 

Agreed. Fangraphs has them as the team that improved their playoff odds the most. They addressed their biggest weaknesses, and kept their top prospects....and the two best players they got are in MN beyond this year. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

PJ's probably going to get a significant raise out of this next year.  I also have to think it's good for the University as a whole.

I know Notre Dame is probably also signing a deal with NBC here soon, but I don't know how they can continue to remain independent, considering how irrelevant in the national landscape they are becoming by the year. They do have their pride though.  It will certainly open the door for others though.  

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

This puts it in perspective...

I'd love to see the combined number for all soccer. EPL, Liga MX, MLS, La Liga, Ligue 1, Bundesliga, Champions League, USMNT, El Tri, World Cup, Euros, Copa Libertadores, etc.

I'd bet it is bigger than all non-NFL sports combined.

As of around 5 years ago, I know Liga MX had double the US viewership of EPL.

Edited by Heimdallr

• 3 weeks later...

The MLB competition committee has approved the implementation of a pitch clock beginning next year...I may be able to consider starting to watch baseball again.  Well, at least it's a thought until they start allowing pitchers to pitch beyond the 6th inning again.  Oh, they can, you say?  🤣

• Like 1