Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

On 12/11/2022 at 2:28 AM, wcblack34 said:

Can they do both? Yes. Will they? No. Not as long as the Pohlads own the team. Tale as old as time. 

To be fair, they didn't do much of that during the Griffith ownership either.  He was a bigger skinflint than they are.  

6 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Baseball need to fix itself. 

That ship sailed with the Twins contraction fiasco.  They need a prolonged strike/lockout for it to ever get in the situation to fix itself.  If any sport ever needed some form of salary cap, it was and always has been baseball.  But baseball doesn't care about competitive balance, despite their paper-thin attempts at it with a "luxury" tax, which truly penalizes players instead of penalizing teams like the Yankees who just can sign bazillion dollar guaranteed contract after bazillion dollar guaranteed contract and not be hurt by it, but yet hurts every other team in MLB, who can't possibly do the same.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, swede700 said:

That ship sailed with the Twins contraction fiasco.  They need a prolonged strike/lockout for it to ever get in the situation to fix itself.  If any sport ever needed some form of salary cap, it was and always has been baseball.  But baseball doesn't care about competitive balance, despite their paper-thin attempts at it with a "luxury" tax, which truly penalizes players instead of penalizing teams like the Yankees who just can sign bazillion dollar guaranteed contract after bazillion dollar guaranteed contract and not be hurt by it, but yet hurts every other team in MLB, who can't possibly do the same.

And yet the Yankees have won a single World Series over the past two decades (while routinely beating the Twins). Same with the Dodgers. Small market teams routinely advance in the post season and are competitive. There’s no way either side has any interest in a salary cap. 

5 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

And yet the Yankees have won a single World Series over the past two decades (while routinely beating the Twins). Same with the Dodgers. Small market teams routinely advance in the post season and are competitive. There’s no way either side has any interest in a salary cap. 

I know neither side has an interest at this point, but at least to me it's still problematic.  Each small market team has a window of maybe 3 years.  How teams like the Yankees manage their payroll should penalize them for decades, yet it has little to no effect.  It's no matter that the Yankees haven't won a Series in decades, they are in it every year.  When was the last time the Orioles were truly competitive?  The Pirates?  Reds? Rockies?  As far as I'm concerned, 50-70% of the markets in baseball are pretty much eliminated in Game 1.  So why should fans even bother watching? 

I live in KC...and certainly the town was abuzz when the Royals were doing well 5-10 yrs ago, but the last 4-5 yrs?  Often the games aren't even mentioned on the local news other than possibly a scroll at the bottom of the screen, or maybe a 15 second clip to say the score.  They talk more about the Chiefs during the Royals season.  

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I know neither side has an interest at this point, but at least to me it's still problematic.  Each small market team has a window of maybe 3 years.  How teams like the Yankees manage their payroll should penalize them for decades, yet it has little to no effect.  It's no matter that the Yankees haven't won a Series in decades, they are in it every year.  When was the last time the Orioles were truly competitive?  The Pirates?  Reds? Rockies?  As far as I'm concerned, 50-70% of the markets in baseball are pretty much eliminated in Game 1.  So why should fans even bother watching? 

I live in KC...and certainly the town was abuzz when the Royals were doing well 5-10 yrs ago, but the last 4-5 yrs?  Often the games aren't even mentioned on the local news other than possibly a scroll at the bottom of the screen, or maybe a 15 second clip to say the score.  They talk more about the Chiefs during the Royals season.  

Orioles and Pirates have the same level of accomplishment as the Yankees, and nearly half of the franchises have gone to a world series in that time frame.

1 minute ago, JDBrocks said:

Orioles and Pirates have the same level of accomplishment as the Yankees, and nearly half of the franchises have gone to a world series in that time frame.

That doesn't address the point.  That's all fine and dandy that the Pirates have advanced in the postseason.  In the last 32 years, they've made the playoffs 6 times.  They've been .500 (or within 5 games of .500) 11 times in that same 32 years.  In those same categories, the Orioles were 5 and 14. 

The Rays are one of the true success stories, but they are more the exception than the rule.  You clearly don't view it an issue, that's fine. There certainly are bigger issues than it (most notably the problems with how the sport is played itself), but it's still an issue and will be until it's meaningfully addressed.