Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

9 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

That's less than Turner got. Anyone that thought that would work doesn't know the market. They weren't close. 

Again, there was an extra year - less AAV. I'm not saying that they didn't lose him, guys. But they clearly weren't going to offer more than a 10 year deal, and they offered the most per year. Clearly they were close - the Cubs have some of the deepest pockets in the league and weren't in the running despite pursuit.

I don't fault them for not wanting to go longer than 10 years. They were willing to pay the most over 10 years. I also think it's fair to criticize the Twins for not going all in on an acquisition - just not this one. Last time plan A didn't work out (Wheeler) they pivoted and landed Donaldson with the biggest FA contract they've ever given. If they end up with Dansby Swanson and trade for Pablo Lopez are you still going to be mad that they didn't pay Carlos Correa to to not play for the last 3-5 years of a 13 year deal? 

As I made clear yesterday, I don't fault the Twins for not ponying up enough money to keep Correa, I fault the entire sport as a whole for allowing the Giants to pony up such an absurd type of contract in the first place.  If it doesn't work, it ain't going to hurt the Giants, because they'll just be able to write it off, move on and pay some other SS a 10-yr or more deal.  That's the issue and will always be the issue, as far as I'm concerned.   

What I always find odd, and maybe I'm incorrect since I don't really follow the team all that closely any longer is how it seems that there never is a true back-up plan for the team. It seems like it's always all-in on a particular player, then it inevitably doesn't happen, they say "oh well", then just fold up their tent and go with what they have, or wait for the scraps that are left in the free agency market.  It never seems like there's a real plan.  Again, I don't know, others certainly know better than I.  That's just my perception.  

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

What I always find odd, and maybe I'm incorrect since I don't really follow the team all that closely any longer is how it seems that there never is a true back-up plan for the team. It seems like it's always all-in on a particular player, then it inevitably doesn't happen, they say "oh well", then just fold up their tent and go with what they have, or wait for the scraps that are left in the free agency market.  It never seems like there's a real plan.  Again, I don't know, others certainly know better than I.  That's just my perception.  

last year they landed Correa and traded for Gray. The year before they missed on Wheeler and pivoted to Donaldson then traded for Maeda, a clear plan A plan B.

This FO has had multiple pathways, and it looks like this year is similar.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JDBrocks said:

last year they landed Correa and traded for Gray. The year before they missed on Wheeler and pivoted to Donaldson then traded for Maeda, a clear plan A plan B.

Fair enough about the past, but it doesn't seem like it this year, but I'm sure that is bound to change since there's still plenty of time.  Usually a lot of that discussion happens around winter meetings (at least it used to be), but that appears to have been a week ago.  

Just now, swede700 said:

Fair enough about the past, but it doesn't seem like it this year, but I'm sure that is bound to change since there's still plenty of time.  Usually a lot of that discussion happens around winter meetings (at least it used to be), but that appears to have been a week ago.  

This year they are also in on Rodon, Swanson, and there are multiple reports about activity in the trade market. 

9 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

They are running out of prospects.....

Also, would you rather have CC and two rookies, or three mediocre free agents? No one cares if they offered the most per year, when the offer was over sixty million less total. By the time the deal is past year ten, 28 million will get you a good free agent, one. Would you trade not having that one free agent in years 11-13 for CC for 5-8 good to great years, followed by a drop off in the last years? There is a lot of certainty in having CC rather than what might happen eleven years from now. 

5 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

They are running out of prospects.....

Also, would you rather have CC and two rookies, or three mediocre free agents? No one cares if they offered the most per year, when the offer was over sixty million less total. By the time the deal is past year ten, 28 million will get you a good free agent, one. Would you trade not having that one free agent in years 11-13 for CC for 5-8 good to great years, followed by a drop off in the last years? There is a lot of certainty in having CC rather than what might happen eleven years from now. 

C’mon… you know that’s not how that works, unless they are signing one year deals? The cost of players is only going up. 

I’m done arguing about this though. I’m fine with not giving a 13 year contract. If folks want to keep moaning about how the Twins are cheap after making a 285 million dollar offer, by all means, carry on.

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

C’mon… you know that’s not how that works, unless they are signing one year deals? The cost of players is only going up. 

I’m done arguing about this though. I’m fine with not giving a 13 year contract. If folks want to keep moaning about how the Twins are cheap after making a 285 million dollar offer, by all means, carry on.

Not cheap. But not a real offer either. It was less than Turner got. He wasn't taking less 

I don't care much about the Twins (or major league baseball in general), but it is a bad look losing out again.  I agree that it doesn't matter what their offer was if it wasn't enough. From the outside looking in it looks like the Twins are only used as leverage in negotiations with other teams.

It looks like the Twins fell short again; their ability to effectively operate in free agent market is a serious question and what I know of this year does them no favors -- having their offer leaked doesn't help them at all except with the crowd that can console themselves with thoughts of "at least they tried".  That only goes so far with me.  It is a first step and great at first, but that wears thin. 

I don't know who to blame for the Twins inadequacy. The people making the decisions are the easiest target, but I believe it is more likely a problem with the system put in place by the league.

Edited by Cearbhall
  • Like 2