Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

5 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

🙄 

No collusion was involved, right?  This just reinforces the issue in my mind.  The only people who don't think there's a problem are the owners and the players...and the fans that continue to drink the kool aid. 

I would love for the sport to fix its issues, both on and off the field, but have serious doubts that it ever will...because it has to realize that problems exist first.     

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

That is an absolute stunner about CC. Wow. 

Baseball is broken, but mostly at the lower end, where teams pocket money at record levels.

It also truly shows that he was never really serious about staying in MN.  It was always about getting the most out of a large market team, where he can make even more money off the field. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

It also truly shows that he was never really serious about staying in MN.  It was always about getting the most out of a large market team, where he can make even more money off the field. 

It's always about the biggest number, or nearly so. I have no issue with that. 

• Like 1

I like the way MLS handles the salary cap where there is a salary floor and ceiling, but each team has 3 "designated players" that don't count against the cap so that teams can go out and get stars from Europe/South America.

It keeps every team relatively competitive with good core rosters, but also allows teams that want to spend big money go out and get big names that help grow the league. Teams like LAFC, LA Galaxy, Miami, Atlanta, and Toronto will always be favorites because of the big names they can recruit, but smaller teams can still be competitive. 

I also don't think it is a bad thing for a league to have a few heavy hitting "star" clubs. It helps draw in casuals, brings in sponsorship and broadcast money, and raises the bar of the entire league. Sure it makes it harder for small market teams like Minnesota to compete for championships, but it makes the wins all the more meaningful.

It also helps that youth/prospect development is a much bigger deal in soccer, so teams like Philly and Dallas can grow stars internally, and compete for championships (and sell those players on to Europe for millions) in a completely different way.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

It's always about the biggest number, or nearly so. I have no issue with that. 

Per year, the Twins' offer was larger, and factoring in what they just paid Correa for 1 year, it was larger overall than what the Mets are paying him.    (11 yrs/$320M compared to 12 yrs/$315M). 

This clearly was a Mike Wallace-type situation (remember when he turned down the Vikings for Miami, despite the Vikings offering more money?).  This was never solely just about the money.

Edited by swede700

11 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Per year, the Twins' offer was larger, and factoring in what they just paid Correa for 1 year, it was larger overall than what the Mets are paying him.    (11 yrs/$320M compared to 12 yrs/$315M). 

This clearly was a Mike Wallace-type situation (remember when he turned down the Vikings for Miami, despite the Vikings offering more money?).  This was never solely just about the money.

He's not playing the last three years, probably. Per year is about spreading the money out. Or do you think he could make more signing the twins deal, then signing another?

Why would he factor in last year? 

1 minute ago, PrplChilPill said:

He's not playing the last three years, probably. Per year is about spreading the money out. Or do you think he could make more signing the twins deal, then signing another?

Why would he factor in last year? 

It was just one point that was provided.  It just puts the 2 deals in perspective as there being less of a difference than what is reported. 

I'm sure in the end he doesn't care all that much because the deal is guaranteed, but with signing such a long deal, he is giving up additional money that he could make with a new deal.  But, I do think the competitiveness is also a factor...the Mets and Giants, with their open pocketbooks have a better chance to be competitive on a year to year basis than the Twins are.  They may not, as evidenced by both the Giants and Mets missing the playoffs 5 of the last 6 yrs, but with this further expansion of the playoffs and the balanced schedule, they'll have a better shot than the Twins, who now won't get to feast on a bad division as much.  

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, swede700 said:

And this, is entirely my issue with the Twins, and why they are an absolute joke of a franchise. 

They sold people that a new stadium was needed to create revenue for the team to compete. Well, the stadium has certainly created revenue, but the Twins certainly aren’t using it to compete. They lied to the fans, which really was expected from the get go. 

And before people start apologizing for, and protecting the pockets of the Pohlads. No. No one is expecting the Twins to spend $800M in one offseason. No one expecting the Twins to keep up and spend with the likes of New York or LA. But $710M over 13 years is not an organization making an effort at being competitive. 

• Like 2

I’m not protecting anyone’s pockets. I just don’t begrudge them for not handing out stupid money/years contracts. I do want them to overpay for better players, and I think they could/should/need to do more. I’m just not going to use Carlos Correa as my example.

They have been middle of the pack (16/17) in payroll over the past 3 years, which is about where I’d expect them to be compared to other owners. If you are t going to be the Mets/Yankees/Dodgers/Phillies/Cubs then you have to be more strategic in overpaying for above average talent and depth.

Trevor Bauer is no longer suspended. Could probably get the Dodgers to part with him. PR nightmare, probably. But he’d be the ace on our staff. 

I should clarify that I’m not serious about this. Just that it is likely the only way this front office would ever be able to get a true #1 starter. 

Edited by wcblack34