Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

24 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I think they're doing alright. As I've understood, they've played pretty well while not being anywhere close to what they were in their run.  They're not an elite team, but they can compete.

They're better than I even thought they were, apparently, they're 9-3.  We'll have to see if it continues. 

7 minutes ago, swede700 said:

They're better than I even thought they were, apparently, they're 9-3.  We'll have to see if it continues. 

They definitely look like an upper tier team, whether they are a legit contender is too early to tell.

Minneapolis has been named the happiest city in the United States, according to a new ranking that considers metropolitan areas worldwide.

It's the only U.S. city ranked "gold" among a list of 250 cities, picked and rated by London-based research firm the Institute for Quality of Life. "Gold" cities make up the top 37 cities on the list, as the institute decided not to give the title of "happiest in the world" to one single city.

The ranking takes into account five major categories: citizens, governance, economy, environment, and mobility.

Among its "citizens" category, it measures the quality of the education system and social inclusion, and in its "governance" category, it looked at the transparency of action, involvement of residents in decision-making processes and existence of strategies for the future.

The list also weighed the city's Gross Domestic Product, management of natural resources and the accessibility of public transportation for its "economy," "environment" and "mobility" areas.

https://www.cbsnews.com/minnesota/news/minneapolis-named-happiest-city-in-us/

• Like 1

9 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Minneapolis has been named the happiest city in the United States, according to a new ranking that considers metropolitan areas worldwide.

It's the only U.S. city ranked "gold" among a list of 250 cities, picked and rated by London-based research firm the Institute for Quality of Life. "Gold" cities make up the top 37 cities on the list, as the institute decided not to give the title of "happiest in the world" to one single city.

The ranking takes into account five major categories: citizens, governance, economy, environment, and mobility.

Among its "citizens" category, it measures the quality of the education system and social inclusion, and in its "governance" category, it looked at the transparency of action, involvement of residents in decision-making processes and existence of strategies for the future.

The list also weighed the city's Gross Domestic Product, management of natural resources and the accessibility of public transportation for its "economy," "environment" and "mobility" areas.

https://www.cbsnews.com/minnesota/news/minneapolis-named-happiest-city-in-us/

I've always said, if it wasn't for December, January, February and March, Minneapolis would be home. 

But that -40 BS can go straight to heck...

52 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I've always said, if it wasn't for December, January, February and March, Minneapolis would be home. 

That wouldn't stop me from moving back.  I actually miss it...it builds character.  🤣

I think Minneapolis being #1 is just reflective of the heritage that makes up a lot of the residents.  If you look at the full list where Minneapolis is #18 overall, of the 17 cities above them, 9 of them are from Scandinavia or Germany. 

Also what should be neglected is that Madison was #167 on the list. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

In the cities it only gets below 0 for a handful of days per year. Last winter was in the 20's-30's almost all winter. No snow. 

With climate change, I'd start buying MN property now....

• Like 1

Twins with a wild game yesterday. Royce Lewis hit his 4th HR since being back. They put up 17 and 28 hits I believe, most since a game in 2017. And they needed a lot of those runs as the bullpen didn't do great, nor did Pablo Lopez, though he wasn't horrible.

I saw the stat on X that Lewis has hit the 2nd host HR's of any Twins player in his first 80 games with the team. The only player to hit more HR's in their first 80 games is Nelson Cruz and obviously he was a well established power hitter by the time he came here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

that's how i ended up feeling about Montana. the winters are loooong there, sometimes six months, and the other three seasons get the other six months.

come February, everyone is just sitting around waiting for winter to end. so if you spend 2 or 3 months a year doing that, every year, multiplied by decades.... that adds up to a lot of "wasted" time in your life.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

In the cities it only gets below 0 for a handful of days per year. Last winter was in the 20's-30's almost all winter. No snow. 

With climate change, I'd start buying MN property now....

Agreed.  I don't live there, but my mom still does, so I know that it's nowhere near what it was as when I grew up there, because we were guaranteed pretty much to have snow on the ground from November to March/April.  Now, it sounds like they often don't get snow until very late December/January, if at all. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Twins with a wild game yesterday. Royce Lewis hit his 4th HR since being back. They put up 17 and 28 hits I believe, most since a game in 2017. And they needed a lot of those runs as the bullpen didn't do great, nor did Pablo Lopez, though he wasn't horrible.

I saw the stat on X that Lewis has hit the 2nd host HR's of any Twins player in his first 80 games with the team. The only player to hit more HR's in their first 80 games is Nelson Cruz and obviously he was a well established power hitter by the time he came here.

Health is the biggest problem with this team. If you could be guaranteed that Buxton, Correa and Lewis would be healthy the rest of the season, they'd probably be the favorites to take the Central. Even if they're 8 games back. Pitching needs to be more consistent, but you can mask some of that when you have big bats in the lineup all the time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Health is the biggest problem with this team. If you could be guaranteed that Buxton, Correa and Lewis would be healthy the rest of the season, they'd probably be the favorites to take the Central. Even if they're 8 games back. Pitching needs to be more consistent, but you can mask some of that when you have big bats in the lineup all the time.

Agreed, though I'd say that Buxton is kind of meh in terms of that, we might get more by moving Kepler to CF and playing Margot/Kirriloff as well. But obviously that'd hurt the defense. Correa and Lewis are key to the offense going forward. And I think beyond them I care about Miranda, Larnach, and Kirriloff in terms of production.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Gnat said:

Agreed, though I'd say that Buxton is kind of meh in terms of that, we might get more by moving Kepler to CF and playing Margot/Kirriloff as well. But obviously that'd hurt the defense. Correa and Lewis are key to the offense going forward. And I think beyond them I care about Miranda, Larnach, and Kirriloff in terms of production.

I think Buxton could still turn it on at the plate. But his defense can be game-changing if it doesn't put him on the DL. But yeah, I think Kepler, Miranda, Kirriloff and Larnach can each get hot for periods too. Jeffers has been crushing it, and Santana has been solid. Just need guys to be consistant and pick each other up. 

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

Agreed.  I don't live there, but my mom still does, so I know that it's nowhere near what it was as when I grew up there, because we were guaranteed pretty much to have snow on the ground from November to March/April.  Now, it sounds like they often don't get snow until very late December/January, if at all. 

It’s still pretty common to have snow before Thanksgiving. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

I completely agree with you. Minnesota winters have gotten me down the older I get. I stay here because of my wife’s family and of course our jobs. I do not want to retire here. I will definitely move south and spend time up here in the summers. As @vike daddy said, I do not want to waste my life waiting for winters to end (I have very few winter activities I enjoy or engage in).

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, marshpit23 said:

I completely agree with you. Minnesota winters have gotten me down the older I get. I stay here because of my wife’s family and of course our jobs. I do not want to retire here. I will definitely move south and spend time up here in the summers. As @vike daddy said, I do not want to waste my life waiting for winters to end (I have very few winter activities I enjoy or engage in).

Once we retire, my wife and I have talked about spending summers up in northern MN or Canada and then likely coming back here to KS in the winter.  You will never catch me in FL or AZ in the winter.   I'm a northerner, through and through.  It gets above 90 (like it is today here) and I suffer.  🤣

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1