Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

Twins have been hitting so well. And their pitching hasn't been bad either.

I love how Buxton and Rosario (and Polanco) have been hitting. It was great to see both Rosario and Buxton moved way higher in the line-up on Sunday. Getting Buxton's speed to the top of the line-up (doesn't have to be #1 but #2-3 in the line-up works is really important.

Also, Bartolo Colon becoming the 18th pitcher to get a win against every team in MLB.

This Twins team is growing up and it is fun to watch. I have no idea where the pitching is going to come from to take them to the next level, but the offense and defensive position players are young, cheap, and starting to live up to their combined potential. 

I really wanted them to sell at the deadline because I thought it would be more worthwhile long term, but now I hope they keep this run going and prove everyone that doubted them (including me) wrong.

Pitching will be a concern up to Game 162, but if we get to the playoffs, I'd put our top aces up against almost anyone.

I know it was the White Sox, but it was nice to get through both halves of a doubleheader with a split when neither pitcher had started a game for the club this year.

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

I have no idea where the pitching is going to come from to take them to the next level, but the offense and defensive position players are young, cheap, and starting to live up to their combined potential. 

I do think that there is talent in the minors. A rotation of Santana, Berrios, Mejia, Gonslaves, and someone else, Romero probably is a pretty good starting rotation, and there are still other prospects in the minors. This year it's going to be rough though.

32 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Pitching will be a concern up to Game 162, but if we get to the playoffs, I'd put our top aces up against almost anyone.

I agree. It would mean we're going to win long series, we'd need to get Santana and Berrios up twice in series to be able to win them realistically.

Gibson with an interesting, but really good start yesterday. Loading the bases in the 2nd and 3rd innings and getting out of those jams. I know the White Sox offense is generally pretty poor, but he handled their few good hitters decently well, and then the pen did it's job when it game in for two innings.

Offensively the Twins cooled off a little bit, but four runs isn't bad, it's just not the 8-10 we've been seeing against the White Sox pitching. Polanco and Rosario stayed hot though. Right now it's about weathering the storm to get Sano back, and hope that with our pitching, we can get enough six inning starts that we don't have to start using unproven September call-up relievers in key situations.

Yeah, the rotation would have been pretty deep.

I feel like generally the pen is doing okay, pitchers like Duffey, Hildenberg, Rogers, and now Buseneitz are all pitching well, and Matt Beslile hasn't been bad in the psuedo-closer role. Now, yesterday was frustrating to lose that game late since they have been pitching well.

I don't think the Twins will do it, but I wish they'd bring up Gonslave, even though Gibson was very good in his last start. They could have Gonslave replace Gee and move Gee back to the pen to make the pen stronger again.

Thank you for reading. With love,

Karl-Anthony

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/karl-anthony-towns-charlottesville/amp/

I'm not going to actually discuss it, since the topic is off-limits, but I think it's important to read, especially since it comes from the Big Meow.  I know very little about the guy on a personal level, but I know I'd like him.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

MNUFC's win over Chicago yesterday was the biggest upset of the season, according to 538. Great game.

That was a fun match to checkout the highlights of, huge win for them.

9 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

Buxton with 3 homers today!!!

He's been on such a run in August. Hopefully it means he's figured it all out. Just for an idea of his numbers in August, he's batting .330 in August, .362 OBP, .649 SLG, and 1.011 OPS (which is really strong). He has hit 8 HR's, driven in 21 (He'd driven in 16 the rest of the season), and 8 SB's.

In that same time period, Jorge Polanco is hitting .367 with an OBP, and OPS over 1.06. He's hit 4 HR's, 9 2B's, and 2 3B's.

The young guys are hitting. And even Mauer is hitting, average is up to .296. And in August, the plethora of Twins pitchers used, still have an ERA for the month of 3.87.

Joe Nathan, who is eighth all-time on the saves list with 377, is retiring from Major League Baseball.

The Minnesota Twins announced Tuesday that they will hold a news conference with Nathan on Friday. The closer will throw out the first pitch before Minnesota's game that night against the Kansas City Royals at Target Field and also will be honored with a video tribute.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/20499767/closer-joe-nathan-retiring-honored-minnesota-twins

Glad to see that the Twins are bringing Nathan back in, don't think he's part of the Twins HOF yet, but that's just a matter of time.

Another win for the Twins. After a terrible outing against Shields in Chicago, good to see them get a win here. Jorge Polanco picking up on the multi-homer game. Santana had one poor inning, otherwise I feel like he was on target for another complete game. Twins are up a game in the Wild Card for the 2nd Wild Card spot, just need to keep on winning.