(Poll) Which QB Does Hue Jackson Want at Number 1?

Mind Character

1. (Poll) Which QB Does Hue Jackson Want at Number 1?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. 1. (Poll) Which QB Does Hue Jackson Want at Number 1?

2 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

I don't really care who Hue wants. Rosen would probably fit best in his system. Hue has never done anything to get the reputation of a QB guru. Dalton had a good year when he was his OC, that's about it.

Hue wanted RGIII. Hue got RGIII. Hue wanted Kessler. Hue got Kessler.

On Cody Kessler:

You should know how our media is...they seize on any negativity to bask in toxic reflection of Browns incompetence.

In draft rooms, the televised coverage is playing as well on a tv. As soon as Cody was selected, I'm sure Hue and co. watched as NFL network and ESPN bashed Cody Kessler, they acted befuddled with the pick, bashed Kessler's arm strength, and explicitly said "Cody was undraftable.."

Then, coming into the press conference multiple reporters who never even heard of Cody before the press conference parroted back what their draft analyst gods were telling them about Kessler...that he was a 7th round pick at best with no arm talent. Specifically, the questions were "the league is shocked you took this guy...why'd you take him when people think he's not good."

In response to all this, Hue Jackson said..."I understand where everyone's coming from. But Trust Me on this one..."

What's so crazy about that? I mean it puzzles me why everyone hinges on that moment given the context in which it happened as if it were a sign of something major.

There's a reason Cody Kessler was essentially a 4th round pick in the draft and the browns took 4 players before him and intended for him to be the 3rd QB on the roster.

They didn't think Cody was 100% their QB1 of the future, franchise QB selected in the 4th round. It was a good gamble on a QB with developmental traits that could result in him being a good starter in the league.

Thus far even with all the struggles he's outplayed many drafted in that class and wasn't able to grab the starting role in training camp as it was widely reported he kept throwing multiple interceptions, redzone or otherwise, and it was evident the pressure of being the starter was causing him to be too hesitant with the ball.

-----

On RG3:

For the life of me, I just can't understand why so many people focus on the RG3 decision like it was some grand example of ineptitude.

RG3 was a transcendent athlete (4.38, 40 yard dash) with an amazing deep ball and deep accuracy. He lit the whole league on fire and everyone at some point either wanted to trade up for him in the draft or would love to have him on their team. He had injuries and coach conflict issues at 21 years old that derailed his promising career.

His pro day was one of the best in recent memory. His roll outs and deep ball power/accuracy WOWed all nfl personnel and media types in attendance.

The Browns RG3 workout was sure to be amazing as well as all in attendance were watching a bigger, stronger, more physically matured athlete that a few years prior had wowed the league.

He was intended to be a calculated gamble/risk BRIDGE QB with high upside due to age, successful experience in the league, and hopefully developed maturity from hard lessons earlier in his career.

His salary was nothing we couldn't easily move on from as it wasn't even guaranteed the following year.

-----

Hue's history of QB coaching:

Just say you hate Hue and think he's incompetent.  That makes more sense and is understandable to have that opinion.

However, the statement "Hue has never done anything to get the reputation of a QB guru" doesn't really match history or evidence despite what transpired last year with Kizer.

On 12/31/2017 at 7:17 PM, Mind Character said:

A history of Hue's QB coaching.

1. Jake Plummer Arizona State (1995): Jake credits Hue for helping rain in his wild style, improving his mechanics, and growing intellectually at understanding defenses. Made suh an impact on Hue that 22 years later Jake went to the AD in Arizona State this year to suggest Hue be hired ASU if he was fired despite a losing NFL record. "He did a lot for my advancement and evolution as a quarterback," Jake had an up and down career but played some great QB play later in his career. Was thrown to the wolves on the Cardinals with no help and was horrendous from a statistical standpoint. Most believe he had little arm talent but his talents were maximized from a coaching perspective.

With Hue his Junior year, had 17 TDs to 9 INTs but took a serious jump his senior year based on progression in mechanics to finish with 23 TDs to 9 INTs the next year.

2. Pat Barnes, California (1996): Under Hue he went from a marginal season to one of the better in all of college football.

• Pre-Hue 1995: 197/362 for 2,685 yards with 17 TD vs 11 INT.
  • With Hue 1996: 250/420 for 3,499 yards with 31 TD vs 8 INT.

Credited Hue as "making me believe I could get to the next level" and "opening my mind to how to really play in the WC offense."

Had a serious XFL career but did not have the physical characteristics the nfl desired then and despite being name 2nd team all american at QB only behind interestingly Jake Plummer.

3. Carson Palmer, USC (1997-2000): Contrary to popular belief and recency bias where Palmer became the prototypical pro passing prospect, Palmer was an unrefined piece of clay who had to be built from the feet up when arriving at USC. He was so bad that they decided to start a Joe Bauserman type QB named John Fox before handing the position to a raw inaccurate, turnover prone freshman. Carson Palmer credited Hue as being "the Best QB coach I ever had" even though the 2 didn't reunite in the pros until much later. The perfect throwing motion and efficient feet in the pocket Palmer had his final year at USC that made him the top pick.

4. From 2001 to 2007, Hue spent time as RBs coach, Offensive Coordiantor, and Wide receivers coach for various team.

5. Ravens- 2008-2009, Joe Flacco. Until in 2008, he became the QB coach for the Ravens and Joe Flacco. The coaching job Hue did with Flacco was regarded as one of the finest coaching jobs of a rookie QB w/ Ozzie Newsome deeming Hue "teaching worth its weight in gold" and John Harbaugh calling Hue's hire "...a game changer." Harbaugh went on to say "Nobody has more knowledge or has had more success with developing rookie quarterbacks than Hue Jackson has had as a coach. We have seen it firsthand." Flacco would say " He allows you to go out there and play fast, and free, and wants you to go out there and play with emotion and let it all go. I think that his coaching style and his offensive philosophy allows the quarterback to do that." Flacco said under Hue he was able to get over mental hurdles he had coming out of Delaware. Flacco had a lot of confidence, work habit issues (documented as always showing up late until Hue instilled a stringent regimen), and mechanical footwork issues coming out of Delaware. The improvement from year 1 to year 2 led Flacco to an unexpected good rookie year, but a really great follow up second year that is statistically one of Joe Flacco's better careers in his entire career.

6. The Ravens coaching Job earned Hue a shot at offensive coordinator with the raiders as one of the up and coming offensive minds in football. His work as a coordinator earned him a HC job in Oakland for one year in which an undermanned team with Owner/Personnel issues started off fast but due to injury of QBs faultered to 8-8 missing the playoffs. Jason Campbell was headed for a career year statistically before injury and Hue made a trade for Carson Palmer that may have worked out had the whole thing not been blown up (i.e., Carson had many good years left in Arizona after that). Amy Trask and other football execs in Oakland speak unflinchingly positive of Hue's  time there as OC and developer of talent. Al Davis died, Hue was fired.

7. Hue doesn't resurface as a QB coach and OC until 2012/2013 with the Bengals/Andy Dalton. There he does what is thought to be one of the finer jobs maximizing talent by working with Andy Dalton first as QB Coach and OC to help Dalton have a career and what some though was an MVP type season until Dalton gets injured at the end of the season, AJ Mccaron starts, and a series of terrible penalties on the Bengals capsized their season. Without Hue, the entire Bengals operation unraveled last year and his mark was so strong on the organization that fans, ownership alike entertained the possibility of bringing him back there despite his historic role in losing for the Browns.

8. Browns 2016: Hue is hired as HC and hires Pep Hamilton as QB coach. Hue wants Goff (eval correct) and likes Wentz, but relents to the Money Ball trade down that the personnel execs wanted in the first place. Fair compromise ensues and Hue in 1st year coach speak encouragement of the players acquired says "Trust me" when the media and whole football world acts as if Cody Kessler shouldn't even be in the league. Cody plays well despite trash around him and his personal deficiencies. Hue yanks Cody in a game causing the media and fans to think he's ruining the QBs confidence.

9. Browns 2017: Hue wanted Trubisky, Mahomes, and texted Deshaun Watson "to be ready" according to Watson...Hue denied it. He ends up with Kizer and puts all of the offense on his plate to test Kizer's limits early in the season to the fans and media appall. Hue sick of losing makes short sighted judgments that are compounded by  numerous inexplicable turnovers and inaccuracies by Kizer. He yanks Kizer repeatedly because the QB keeps making the same turnover mistakes on back to back plays. Media and fans say he's destroying the QB because QBs are tempermental creatures that don't deserve to sit when they make mistakes even though every other position on the team suffers that fate when they underperform. Most believe now Hue is the worst QB coach/OC in NFL history, shouldn't be anywhere near Cleveland and has to be fired.

Dalton had a career year in 2015, if you want to credit Hue for that you have to blame Hue for Dalton's worst season a year before when he was OC there. Dalton had 44 TD and 24 INT under Hue those 2 years. Pretty much his career ratio.

The Ravens won in spite of Flacco, or rather Flacco went along for the ride. 35 TD and 24 INT in those two years and Flacco was then what Flacco always has been, Hue didn't get more out of him.

The Raiders offense regressed under Hue.

The Falcons offense and QBs did nothing under Hue.

I don't really care about college stuff, but if his claim to fame was harnessing Jake 'the snake" Plummer then I can't be too certain he did anything because that was always his flaw, being reckless.

He didn't get the most out of RGIII or McCown last year. He got nothing out of Kizer.

What has he done? He happened to be in Cincy for Dalton's career best and worst seasons. He coached Flacco to mediocrity his first 2 seasons. He regressed the Raider offense. He stumbled in Atlanta as they were one of the worst offenses in football in 2007. He led the Redskins offense to a bottom 10 offenses in 2003.

Hue has done nothing. He has never made a QB better minus one Dalton season which means it was probably a coincidence. If you want to believe Hue when he says what he wanted after the fact to make himself look smart go ahead. He bad mouthed Wentz after the loss to him saying it was just one game and while it was good people should wait and see what he actually becomes. Anyway, he isn't a scout and I don't expect him to be good at that. He needs to worry about developing players, he sucks at that too though.

1 hour ago, dawgdish said:

That's a good point. Smart thing to do would be to sign a Smith/Bradford, and let whoever the rookie is and Kizer sit and take notes behind him. 

Agreed.

I think the fans are ready for some immediate winning too. 4-44 has been dreadful, but we’ve done what was needed, let’s get to kicking some azz now.

@Mind Character re: RGIII, sure his workout was great, but he had enough tape to show he’s not an NFL QB.

Hell, Hue’s former coworker Gruden had him playing scout team safety for Christ’s sake.

A bridge QB? Eh, gotta be good enough to play to be a bridge QB imo.  If not you’re just a scrub, which is what RGIII was. I get that it was a low risk/high reward type scenario, but it’s still a whiff when he was “his guy” and was outplayed by Kessler.

29 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

@Mind Character re: RGIII, sure his workout was great, but he had enough tape to show he’s not an NFL QB.

Hell, Hue’s former coworker Gruden had him playing scout team safety for Christ’s sake.

A bridge QB? Eh, gotta be good enough to play to be a bridge QB imo.  If not you’re just a scrub, which is what RGIII was. I get that it was a low risk/high reward type scenario, but it’s still a whiff when he was “his guy” and was outplayed by Kessler.

Huh?

A lot of hindsight bias there.

RG3 was injured the first game after not playing meaningful football for a long time. He missed 13 weeks and came back week 14 with a still fractured and not healed broken bone.

"He was his guy."

Do you remember the FA market that year? On a team that had only Josh McCown, the paths to acquire a QB are FA and the draft...there weren't any potential QB1s in  FA and we know what happened with the draft.

Jared Goff "was his guy."

Say what you want, but a 6.5million a year nonguaranteed 2nd year contract is numbers for a bridge QB who actually had tape that proved he wasn't a scrub. Do you remember RG3's first year? He wasn't a scrub at all...he was one of the best rookie QBs the league had seen accounting for 27 Total TDs to just 5 INTs and 4000 total yards. His deep ball accuracy and arm strength was crazy. He had many limitations and things to improve on in his game.

Then he tore his knee up....When he came back he was rushed back in too early and he was not the same player. Washington media reported talked incessantly about how RG3 still is limping around and how they should let him fully heal or he may mess his career up.

Returning from the ACL and LCL complete tear RG3 regressed his 2ND SEASON IN THE LEAGUE throwing for 16TDs to 12INts and 3700 total yards.

For a player who was in the league only 2 years and wasn't fully healthy, there was still a lot of promise. His career was essentially over at that point due to coaching controversies and not mixing well with Jay Gruden the following year. So, at 23 years of age, the league was done with RG3 and pronounced him a complete bust.

Then, we came along and gave him a shot, took a gamble in a QB desperate time on the only QB on the market with tremendous promise.

He gets injured and in his limited play he doesn't look good.

It was a smart decision to give an injury prone young QB drafted number 2 overall a shot on a cheap Bridge QB risky gamble.

The gamble didn't pay off and we moved on, but given the context in which the gamble was made, it's not some decision that's an example of some major ineptitude for Sashi Brown or Hue....there are other things that can be pointed to but not that imo

Jackson explained how, at one point when Griffin rolled out in a full sprint to throw a pass, "it felt like the Earth moved beneath my feet," according to team sources. He told them how Griffin's accuracy in passing drills was "freakish." It was surreal and special. It was everything you remember from 2012 -- and everything you have forgotten since.

it is widely understood within the organization that Jackson understands quarterbacks as well as anyone. So Haslam looked toward the execs and spoke three definitive words:

"Go get him," Haslam told the group, setting off a series of negotiations that would lead to Griffin signing a two-year, $15 million with the Browns on Thursday.

3 hours ago, dawgdish said:

That's a good point. Smart thing to do would be to sign a Smith/Bradford, and let whoever the rookie is and Kizer sit and take notes behind him. 

Smith.

With Bradford's injury history they wouldn't be sitting for long.

Will want McCarron will get Alex Smith unless McCarron wins is arbitration case and becomes an UFA then McCarron will be the guy he wants.

Sam Darnold probably 

I still think Kessler could be a high end backup. If his confidence gets built up again. 

13 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

Will want McCarron will get Alex Smith unless McCarron wins is arbitration case and becomes an UFA then McCarron will be the guy he wants.

Sam Darnold probably 

I still think Kessler could be a high end backup. If his confidence gets built up again. 

I agree on Kessler but not in Hue’s system 

6 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

What has he done? He happened to be in Cincy for Dalton's career best and worst seasons. He coached Flacco to mediocrity his first 2 seasons. He regressed the Raider offense. He stumbled in Atlanta as they were one of the worst offenses in football in 2007. He led the Redskins offense to a bottom 10 offenses in 2003.

Like I keep saying...it's okay to hate Hue and believe he's incompetent. You can find real evidence to support that belief, but the evidence your using actually doesn't support your claim at all. In fact, it makes the opposite claim, and makes you sound totally uninformed making claims out of confirmation bias.

But you just can't change history so that it confirms your belief. Most of what you're saying just simply isn't true and doesn't match quantitative or qualitative evidence.

-------------

Oakland:

You obviously didn't follow the Raiders 2010-2011 that intently and are revising the Oakland experience to fit your belief on Hue resulting in ignoring objective facts.

The Raiders offense that ranked 30th the year before Hue became OC became the 7th ranked rushing defense; and the 18th ranked passing offense with Jason Campbell at QB and the potent star-studded receiving core of Jacoby Ford, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Louis Murphy, and Zach Miller. Due to some inefficiencies on third down, various DVOA computations put that offense anywhere from 11th to 23rd when accounting for situational efficiency.

Qualitatively, people in Oakland (sports writers, media, personnel execs) and around the league thought Hue made chicken salad out of sh*t and maximized a retread in Jason Campbell with a collection of subpar receiving talent.

He then gets the HC job due to his offensive efforts.

The team gets off to an unexpected hot 7-4 start despite losing their best offensive player (TE Zach Miller) to free agency in the offseason replacing him with JAG TE Kevin Boss. The offense also loses their now best player (Darren Mcfadden) for the season after game 7 and their starting QB (Jason Campbell) being lost for the season after the 6th week.

The Raiders bring in Carson Palmer out of retirement off the couch midseason via trade who struggles down the stretch, but the offense with RB Michael Bush, TE Kevin Boss, rookie WR Denarius Moore, and JAG WR Derrius Heyward-Bey STILL reaches as high as # 3 in DVOA Offensive Efficiency, but loses steam after losing Mcfadden ending the season ranked anywhere from 8th-14th in Offensive Efficiency depending on the computation.

With Hue as OC or HC, the raiders with a below average talent team were 16-16 with top half of the league offenses.

They went 1-4 in their last 5 games mostly due to defensive struggles. Hue had an infamous final press conference and it was game over.  After he left, in 3 seasons, the Raiders went 8-28 causing fans to create a petition and website for Mark Davis to rehire Hue Jackson. So, the claim that he regressed the Raiders is unfounded.

-----------------------------

Atlanta Falcons:

To use this season as an example of Hue's incompetence is laughable as again there's a lot better evidence elsewhere.

The infamous HC Bobby Petrino IN-SEASON resignation after 13 games leave a note in the locker room saying goodbye season.

This was the craziest season whereby Michael Vick went to prison for dogfighting sending shock waves through the organization as he was their whole offense. And I sh*t-you not they tried to replace Michael Vick who then was at the height of his powers with the holy retread triumvirate JOEY HARRINGTON, CHRIS REDMAN, & BYRON LEFTWHICH....LOL.

Warrick Dunn was in his last year and the offense was a shell of itself with players having public blowups with the Head Coach. They were lucky to win 4 games.

----------------

Cincinnati:

The Offense went from 17th having injuries to AJ Green, Tyler Eifert, Kevin Zeitler, Jermaine Gresham (We'd love to have the 17th offense) To the # 2 Offense in Offensive Efficiency in the entire league. They were number 1 in most metrics despite being # 2 in overall efficiency. That is not a good offense, that is a special offense firing on all cylinders.

---------------

Baltimore:

Ozzie Newsome deeming Hue "teaching worth its weight in gold"

and John Harbaugh calling Hue's hire "...a game changer." Harbaugh went on to say "Nobody has more knowledge or has had more success with developing rookie quarterbacks than Hue Jackson has had as a coach. We have seen it firsthand."

Flacco would say " He allows you to go out there and play fast, and free, and wants you to go out there and play with emotion and let it all go. I think that his coaching style and his offensive philosophy allows the quarterback to do that."

Statistically even to this point...Flacco had one of his best season as a young player nonetheless.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE BEST FIRE HUE EVIDENCE THAT EXISTS:

Is this year. The 2017 season.

Not his time with the Raiders, Falcons, Bengals, or Ravens.

Not the RG3 nonguaranteed contract gamble on a previous QB1, not wanting Goff over Wentz, not going 1-15 in 2016 with rookie 4th round pick Cody Kessler with Cam Erving, Greco, and Austin Pazstor.

Not that he wanted Mahomes, Trubisky, and Malik Hooker over Deshaun Watson, but still texted him and would've to select Deshaun over trading down.

The Best Evidence is the case of Deshone Kizer, situational football mismanagement, allowing a year of frustrations to boil over to the point where he even allowed others to perceive that he was blaming the talent of the roster on the losing, and making short sighted decisions to win now that didn't fit the developmental plan of a young QB.

Benching Deshone Kizer was not bad as every position on the field gets benched/rookie or not for consecutive catastrophic play.

However, it's hard to argue that Kizer wasn't maximized given the results that the coaching on Accuracy, footwork, situational football, and turnovers did not take root.

That all can't be blamed on Kizer the rookie QB, and Hue had a major part in that. Ultimately, if the coach's coaching doesn't take root and manifest in the play of the player then the coach deserves responsibility.

It does make sense that after going 1-15 that it was hard to watch the redzone and catastrophic INTs of Kizer in 3 straight games.

So, when making a fire Hue claim, look no further than this year.

4 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Jackson explained how, at one point when Griffin rolled out in a full sprint to throw a pass, "it felt like the Earth moved beneath my feet," according to team sources. He told them how Griffin's accuracy in passing drills was "freakish." It was surreal and special. It was everything you remember from 2012 -- and everything you have forgotten since.

it is widely understood within the organization that Jackson understands quarterbacks as well as anyone. So Haslam looked toward the execs and spoke three definitive words:

"Go get him," Haslam told the group, setting off a series of negotiations that would lead to Griffin signing a two-year, $15 million with the Browns on Thursday.

Yeah...I remember the story vividly...everyone does.

That's why I said this:

7 hours ago, Mind Character said:

On RG3:

For the life of me, I just can't understand why so many people focus on the RG3 decision like it was some grand example of ineptitude.

RG3 was a transcendent athlete (4.38, 40 yard dash) with an amazing deep ball and deep accuracy. He lit the whole league on fire and everyone at some point either wanted to trade up for him in the draft or would love to have him on their team. He had injuries and coach conflict issues at 21 years old that derailed his promising career.

His pro day was one of the best in recent memory. His roll outs and deep ball power/accuracy WOWed all nfl personnel and media types in attendance.

The Browns RG3 workout was sure to be amazing as well as all in attendance were watching a bigger, stronger, more physically matured athlete that a few years prior had wowed the league.

He was intended to be a calculated gamble/risk BRIDGE QB with high upside due to age, successful experience in the league, and hopefully developed maturity from hard lessons earlier in his career.

His salary was nothing we couldn't easily move on from as it wasn't even guaranteed the following year.

6 hours ago, Mind Character said:

I

7 hours ago, Mind Character said:

a

young

chicken

Hooker

Sorry, having issues with quoting. Anyway, sounds like a lot of reasons were the cause of Hue failing to be successful the vast majority of his career, I guess he could have told us that.

I don't hate Hue and didn't give up on him until the JAX game when he had the worst possible game plan. Terrible conditions against the best pass defense in the league and what do we do? Sure, the running game wasn't off to a great start but we didn't need to light up the scoreboard we just had to avoid turnovers and we had a chance to win the game. Nope, Kizer turns it over 4 times resulting in 16 points and we lose by 12. Still Hue is the coach and I hope he turns it around and starts winning. I have lost faith that he actually can do that but I still hope he does.

On 1/19/2018 at 5:27 PM, Mind Character said:

Huh?

A lot of hindsight bias there.

RG3 was injured the first game after not playing meaningful football for a long time. He missed 13 weeks and came back week 14 with a still fractured and not healed broken bone.

"He was his guy."

Do you remember the FA market that year? On a team that had only Josh McCown, the paths to acquire a QB are FA and the draft...there weren't any potential QB1s in  FA and we know what happened with the draft.

Jared Goff "was his guy."

Say what you want, but a 6.5million a year nonguaranteed 2nd year contract is numbers for a bridge QB who actually had tape that proved he wasn't a scrub. Do you remember RG3's first year? He wasn't a scrub at all...he was one of the best rookie QBs the league had seen accounting for 27 Total TDs to just 5 INTs and 4000 total yards. His deep ball accuracy and arm strength was crazy. He had many limitations and things to improve on in his game.

Then he tore his knee up....When he came back he was rushed back in too early and he was not the same player. Washington media reported talked incessantly about how RG3 still is limping around and how they should let him fully heal or he may mess his career up.

Returning from the ACL and LCL complete tear RG3 regressed his 2ND SEASON IN THE LEAGUE throwing for 16TDs to 12INts and 3700 total yards.

For a player who was in the league only 2 years and wasn't fully healthy, there was still a lot of promise. His career was essentially over at that point due to coaching controversies and not mixing well with Jay Gruden the following year. So, at 23 years of age, the league was done with RG3 and pronounced him a complete bust.

Then, we came along and gave him a shot, took a gamble in a QB desperate time on the only QB on the market with tremendous promise.

He gets injured and in his limited play he doesn't look good.

It was a smart decision to give an injury prone young QB drafted number 2 overall a shot on a cheap Bridge QB risky gamble.

The gamble didn't pay off and we moved on, but given the context in which the gamble was made, it's not some decision that's an example of some major ineptitude for Sashi Brown or Hue....there are other things that can be pointed to but not that imo

It’s definitely an example of ineptitude for Hue.  I appreciate the recap of his career, but I’m not senile yet and remember it well.  To sum up your overview, it went: “WOW”, “not bad”, “oof”, “who?” (practice squad time).

This is when we signed him, after he’d shown to be not good at playing QB.

I don’t care what his workout looked like, he wasn’t, and still isn’t, a good QB.

Archived