HB Mock Offseason V1 update 2/28 V2

Humble_Beast

I'll straight forward with this Mock, and will likely be wrong.. Just fun to vision moves Raiders can make to be in the super bowl mix

Coaching: Gruden is back, and he has his staff under salary! 

Players Resigned to new Contacts: Others players not mentioned will be shown the door. 

• Khalil Mack - time to take care of this man, he is our best player. Make him the highest paid defensive player something like 6y 110m and backload so he will get Vegas tax rates
  • Navorro Bowman - Would bring him back on 2-3 year deal on 6m annually. Won't break the back, I see him coming back..
  • Travis Carrie - If he breaks the bank I'll let him walk. But a 2y 10m deal makes sense. He is a decent starter, can man the slot, can even play safety. CB lack talent so keeping him would be nice
  • SeaBass - actually could see Gruden bringing him back, on a one year deal. He would have to tax  paycut or hit the road.. 2m
  • Aldon Smith - I would want to bring back Ellis and Autry, but they played their way to solid NFL contracts. We can't overpay to keep guys and I don't think Reggie will. Aldon signs a cheap one year prove it deal. Team won't expect him to accomplish much, but he will be on a cheap deal to prove everyone wrong. 

Player Released: Sean Smith CB- played better down the stretch, but a limited played(speed is his weakness). Off the field issues too, I would look to get younger and faster

Free Agency: Don't expect to spend a lot, but I could see a couple vets who wouldn't break the bank

• Darqueze Dennard CB- similar deal with Carrie around 5m. Raiders get younger(26) and faster with a proven starter. Played for Bengals and Offensive Coordinator
  • Bennie Logan- steal a guy from the Chiefs an ole Al Davis move
  • Randall Cobb WR- I expect him to be released, and we get him on a nice vet deal with ties to coaching staff. Competition for the slot
  • Ryan Fitzpatrick QB- EJ Manuel likely gone with a new OC, and Gruden signs a vet with starting experience to backup Carr
  • Terrance Brooks S- Could be another vet, just need a player with range who won't break the bank. Insurance due to Obi and Joseph injures in the past

Draft: 

• R1: Vita Vea- has potential to be best run stuffer in the league. Is also an interior pass rusher. Could be intersting with R Smith, D James, J Jackson, D Ward, D Payne all on the board
  • R2: Dorrance Armstrong- explosive pass rusher, lost in the shuffle playing in a bad program. A pass rusher, we need to be more explosive and cause more errors and turnovers
  • R3: Rasaad Penny-  (trade down to get another 4th) - should be good value day 2 of the draft on RB. Need better depth and insurance behind lynch. I really like Penny
  • R4: Antonio Callaway- might be the best WR in draft, but character issues might drop him to day 3. Who knows, but he is talented
  • R4: Tyrell Crosby- might move up but I read couple sites that have him as day 3 pick. Could nab a LB, CB, OT here 

Raider Roster:

• QB: Carr, Fitzpatrick, Cook
  • RB: Lynch, Penny, Richard, Washington
  • FB: Olewale
  • WR: Cooper, Crabtree, Cobb, Patterson, Callaway, Holton/Roberts
  • TE: Cook, Walford
  • T: Penn, Newhouse, Sharpe, Crosby, Ware
  • G: KO, Jackson, Kirkland, Alexander
  • C: Hudson, Feli
  • DE: Mack, Edwards, Armstrong, Cowser/Calhoun 
  • DT: Logan, Vea, Hester, Latham, Ward/Vanderdoes
  • OLB: Irvin, Morrow, James, Aldon
  • MLB: Bowman, Lee
  • CB: Dennard, Conely, Carrie, Hamilton/Mcdonald
  • S: Joseph, Obi, Brooks, Luani
  • Special: King, Jano, Condo

Thoughts? Grade? I know most won't like it, but I would like these moves!  Lets get back to the glory days! 

I like most of it but I would like to at least add one lb we can rely on in coverage either via free agency or the draft. Not sure morrow or James are there yet.

No way Crosby is there in the fifth. Would love it but don’t see it as realistic. I’m not sure Penny is there in the third either. There is some depth to this rb class but I could see a run happening late second to early first. If teams in front of us like the Browns, colts, jets, giants, Bucs and niners don’t draft a rb in the first, many prob will in the second. 

Other than that, I’m pretty good with it, especially free agency.

To me it's both unrealistic, in numerous areas, but also doesn't amount to much of an upgrade.

With respect to the FAs: I'm a big fan of Logan. He's certainly an upgrade over Ellis, still young, and won't be nearly expensive as other options. (I see Loutilelie mentioned a lot). But I don't like the others. Absolutely not to Fitzpatrick. No thanks. And with Dennard/Brooks our secondary actually looks worse overall. More needs to be done than adding an average at best starter and virtually no change to the safeties. And no way Cobb takes a reasonable deal to be a WR3 if he's cut.

No major issues with the draft. Not who I would pick in 1 and 2 but okay. No way Crosby is there in the 4th. Well be lucky of he makes it to us in the 2nd I think.

• 1 month later...

I'll straight forward with this Mock, and will likely be wrong.. Just fun to vision moves Raiders can make to be in the super bowl mix

Players Resigned to new Contacts: Others players not mentioned will be shown the door. 

• Khalil Mack - time to take care of this man, he is our best player. Make him the highest paid defensive player something like 6y 110m and backload so he will get Vegas tax rates
  • Navorro Bowman - Would bring him back on 2-3 year deal on 6m annually. Won't break the back, I see him coming back..
  • Travis Carrie - If he breaks the bank I'll let him walk. But a 2y 10m deal makes sense. He is a decent starter, can man the slot, can even play safety. CB lack talent so keeping him would be nice
  • Aldon Smith - I would want to bring back Ellis and Autry, but they played their way to solid NFL contracts. We can't overpay to keep guys and I don't think Reggie will. Aldon signs a cheap one year prove it deal. Team won't expect him to accomplish much, but he will be on a cheap deal to prove everyone wrong. 

Player Released: Sean Smith CB- played better down the stretch, but a limited played(speed is his weakness). Off the field issues too, I would look to get younger and faster

Free Agency: Don't expect to spend a lot, but I could see a couple vets who wouldn't break the bank

• Trumaine Johnson CB- With the money saved from cutting Sean Smith, Raiders look for more speed and an upgrade. Good vet to balance out with Conely
  • Muhammed Wilkerson or Sheldon Richardson-  With the Amerson release, Raiders look to invest in the trenches. They let Autry and Ellis walk , and upgrade with one starter
  • Kendall Wright WR- there could be a few good cheap vet options. Wright could thrive as our slot wideout
  • Ryan Fitzpatrick QB- EJ Manuel likely gone with a new OC, and Gruden signs a vet with starting experience to backup Carr
  • Terrance Brooks S- Could be another vet, just need a player with range who won't break the bank. Insurance due to Obi and Joseph injures in the past. would be cheap

Draft: 

• R1: Edmunds/Smith LB- Raiders will have a chance to add a defense cornerstone for the next decade. A team lacking on elite talent isn't trading down for a couple guys who might become starters. I prefer Edmunds for his ceiling, both are good players
  • R1:  Payne/Vita Vea DT- has potential to be best run-stuffer in the league, and also an interior pass rusher. Raiders trade up to the early 20s, to select Payne or Vea. Raiders trade 2nd, 3rd, 6th or even two for a late 1st and 4th
  • R4: Desmond Harrison LT- a project LT with huge potential
  • R4: Mark Walton RB- potential starting RB
  • R6: Hercules Mata'afa DE/OLB- D Line depth...super productive in college as a DT,  but undersized.. Could project as a Base End or Sub package pass rusher
  • R6: Rolland Jones OLB/Edge - college football sack leader, lacks size as a DE but can play
  • R6: Antonio Callaway- all work talent, F character... could save his career, always make one gamble pick
  • R6: Roc Thomas- double dip on RBs. look this guy up, might be a steal
  • R7: Charvarius Ward CB - sleeper corner

Raider Roster:

• RB: Lynch, Walton, Richard, Washington, Roc
  • WR: Cooper, Crabtree, Wright, Patterson, Callaway, Holton/Roberts/Hatcher
  • TE: Cook, Walford, Brown
  • T: Penn, Sharpe, Harrison, Newhouse, Ware
  • DE: Mack, Edwards, Ward, Mata'afa, Aldon/Calhoun 
  • DT: Wilkerson, Payne, Hester, Latham, Vanderdoes
  • OLB: Edmunds, Irvin, James, Jones/Cowser
  • MLB: Bowman, Lee/Morrow
  • CB: Johnson, Conely, Carrie, Mcdonald, Ward, Hamilton
  • Special: King, Giorgio, Condo

Thoughts? Grades?

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

Player Released: Sean Smith CB- played better down the stretch, but a limited played(speed is his weakness). Off the field issues too, I would look to get younger and faster

Free Agency: Don't expect to spend a lot, but I could see a couple vets who wouldn't break the bank

• Trumaine Johnson CB- With the money saved from cutting Sean Smith, Raiders look for more speed and an upgrade. Good vet to balance out with Conely
  • Muhammed Wilkerson or Sheldon Richardson-  With the Amerson release, Raiders look to invest in the trenches. They let Autry and Ellis walk , and upgrade with one starter
  • Kendall Wright WR- there could be a few good cheap vet options. Wright could thrive as our slot wideout
  • Terrance Brooks S- Could be another vet, just need a player with range who won't break the bank. Insurance due to Obi and Joseph injures in the past. would be cheap

Draft: 

• R1: Edmunds/Smith LB- Raiders will have a chance to add a defense cornerstone for the next decade. A team lacking on elite talent isn't trading down for a couple guys who might become starters. I prefer Edmunds for his ceiling, both are good players
  • R1:  Payne/Vita Vea DT- has potential to be best run-stuffer in the league, and also an interior pass rusher. Raiders trade up to the early 20s, to select Payne or Vea. Raiders trade 2nd, 3rd, 6th or even two for a late 1st and 4th
  • R4: Desmond Harrison LT- a project LT with huge potential
  • R4: Mark Walton RB- potential starting RB
  • R6: Hercules Mata'afa DE/OLB- D Line depth...super productive in college as a DT,  but undersized.. Could project as a Base End or Sub package pass rusher
  • R6: Rolland Jones OLB/Edge - college football sack leader, lacks size as a DE but can play
  • R6: Antonio Callaway- all work talent, F character... could save his career, always make one gamble pick
  • R6: Roc Thomas- double dip on RBs. look this guy up, might be a steal
  • R7: Charvarius Ward CB - sleeper corner

Raider Roster:

• RB: Lynch, Walton, Richard, Washington, Roc
  • WR: Cooper, Crabtree, Wright, Patterson, Callaway, Holton/Roberts/Hatcher
  • TE: Cook, Walford, Brown
  • T: Penn, Sharpe, Harrison, Newhouse, Ware
  • DE: Mack, Edwards, Ward, Mata'afa, Aldon/Calhoun 
  • DT: Wilkerson, Payne, Hester, Latham, Vanderdoes
  • OLB: Edmunds, Irvin, James, Jones/Cowser
  • MLB: Bowman, Lee/Morrow
  • CB: Johnson, Conely, Carrie, Mcdonald, Ward, Hamilton
  • Special: King, Giorgio, Condo

Thoughts? Grades?

No issues with our resigned guys.  I'm basically done with Aldon, but a one year prove it is fine by me. Would love Trumain Johnson or Wilkerson, but both would cost a massive amount of money, not sure if we could afford it.  I really like Wright, so approve that move and cool with Brooks.  Not sure what I think about Fitzpatrick, that guy is so hit or miss, I can't value is worth at all...

As to the draft, I'm in the minority in not grabbing a LB in the top 10.  I think LVE and Evans in the 2nd is much better value.  I don't think Vea makes it to the 20s as I expect several teams would look closely to draft him in the teens.  I think max is Dallas at 19.  In the 20s, I think you'd be looking at Payne.  I actually really like him, but not sure I'd give up what it's require for us to move up from our 2nd to grab him.  It' going to take a lot more than 3rd and 6th (which means we would not be getting a 4th back in compensation)

Don't know much about a lot of the others, except Walton and Hercules.  I like both, though Hercules is hard to project position wise.  If he's a 6th round pick I'm all for it.  

Archived