mayanfootball

Why aren't the Chiefs playing in the NFL Conference Championships?

6 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

We didn't get rid of him. He got signed elsewhere for a promotion. Not really a mistake on our part there. He was hired away after our season was over. It was an upward move, so we can't block that interview or that signing. Pederson leaving had nothing to do with us. And no course of events was going to lead him being HC here either, if that's what you're implying. Short of Andy retiring 3 years ago.

I just feel like KC is the like the nfls HC farm team, pretty stupid.  We need to retain some talent now and then or find a way.

4 minutes ago, valkrei said:

I just feel like KC is the like the nfls HC farm team, pretty stupid.  We need to retain some talent now and then or find a way.

It's a repercussion of being a fairly successful team. And having a long tenured and quality HC. It happens to like half a dozen teams around the league. The Pats on both sides of the ball. Us on offense. The Seahawks on defense. The Ravens between the tenure of Billick and Harbaugh have had Rex Ryan, Mike Singletary, Mike Nolan, Hue Jackson, Mike Pettine, Chuck Pagano, and Jim Caldwell as assistant coaches. Happened to the Eagles when Reid was there. The Broncos had Gase, Del Rio, and Jim Bob Cooter on one staff a few years back. McCoy and Dennis Allen the year before.

The league is designed to make this happen. It's no different from the kind of turnover that happens with free agency. Teams that know what they're doing groom assistant coaches, teams that suck hire them to hope that they can replicate the success they worked under, then the good teams just regroom the next guy up. When Pederson left we just prepped Nagy as the next man up. Now it's Bienemy. There's no retaining talent. To be consistently successful in the NFL you have to be able to consistently replace talent instead. You can offer a boatload of money, but most guys want the chance to run the show more than they want the pay increase, at that level. You only really get to retain guys if you're able to promote from within. But that really won't happen unless, as I said, Reid retires when one of the guys under him is ready. Otherwise, nothing is going to get a guy like Doug Pederson to stay here as a second tier guy when he has the chance to head off, run the show elsewhere, and do what he's doing now. It's like asking a backup QB to come back in free agency when another team wants to sign them to start and get paid more.

11 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

We didn't get rid of him. He got signed elsewhere for a promotion. Not really a mistake on our part there. He was hired away after our season was over. It was an upward move, so we can't block that interview or that signing. Pederson leaving had nothing to do with us. And no course of events was going to lead him being HC here either, if that's what you're implying. Short of Andy retiring 3 years ago.

The mistake is probably keeping Andy Reid then right?

I had a feeling wed continue our playoff losing ways with him, he was honestly the perfect fit to keep us at the sustainable Level we've been at for close to 30 years. Good in the regular season, and melt downs in the playoffs. 

Once I saw Reid with his giant food menu in the game against the Titans I knew wed lose. Even up 18 points at the half I had zero confidence his team could get the win.

38 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

The mistake is probably keeping Andy Reid then right?

I had a feeling wed continue our playoff losing ways with him, he was honestly the perfect fit to keep us at the sustainable Level we've been at for close to 30 years. Good in the regular season, and melt downs in the playoffs. 

Once I saw Reid with his giant food menu in the game against the Titans I knew wed lose. Even up 18 points at the half I had zero confidence his team could get the win.

You don't fire Andy Reid and then get to promote his protege. I guarantee it.

Additionally, we lost Pederson after our first playoff victory in ages. Not even the most pessimistic among us would have fired Reid then.

3 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

You don't fire Andy Reid and then get to promote his protege. I guarantee it.

Additionally, we lost Pederson after our first playoff victory in ages. Not even the most pessimistic among us would have fired Reid then.

Yeah that's probably true. Could only pull it off during a bad year. 

Im just saying man. Reids got a pattern for a coach. Hes this generations Marty Schottenheimer.

Im hoping Mahomes can do something to push us forward.

Edited by Chiefer

I’m fine with Reid.  I probably bag on him as much as anyone, but he’s honestly a good coach.  Not that worried about losing assistants, Reid has been around for a very long time, he will always have guys in mind for positions.   While Im fine with Reid, the amount of control he has needs to be monitored.  A players coach should only have so much power.  While he is a good coach and a great guy, I feel he lets his ego get in the way in playcalling and roster decisions.   I’m really hoping Bienemy’s tough nature and no nosense attitude rubs off some in the gamplanning and playcalling.

The easy fix is this. Clark tell him your offensive coordinator calls the plays 100% of the time. Done deal.  And as far as on field and off field behavior, get it under control.  Oh and fire Sutton.  These changes get us another 1-3 wins.

2 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

It could be worse. Two teams we beat are playing for the championship.

J

Wins against the Pats and Eagles was arguably the result of great play from K.Hunt and Alex Smith (who everyone wants gone ?). Just how do you guys expect the Chiefs to improve next season with a demented HC, a new OC and an imbecile DC? Oh yeah, and without this season's QB (Alex Smith), having had one of the NFL's best seasons? Do you really think PMII can come out in his rookie season and improve on Smiths personal stats? After 5 years, do you really think Loser Andy will now suddenly storm the playoffs with a never before achieved playoff victory string? And lets not forget our falling star Defender Bob. In 5 years  Defender Bob has  single handedly sent a once proud, tough, stingy defense to the bottom realms of statistically embarrassing NFL defenses. Defender Bob isn't going to suddenly change his stripes and vault our defense to unimaginable heights. Andy and Defender Bob are best friends. Andy always supports his friends even if they're the most incompetent.

Edited by mayanfootball

6 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Yeah that's probably true. Could only pull it off during a bad year. 

Im just saying man. Reids got a pattern for a coach. Hes this generations Marty Schottenheimer.

Im hoping Mahomes can do something to push us forward.

I'm perfectly fine standing alone on this, but I've said before and I'll say again, I'm perfectly happy with that. I've enjoyed the majority of Chiefs football I've watched the past 5 years. I couldn't say that of the 15 prior to that.

I do think Mahomes will have the chance to push it further though. As good as Reid's offenses have generally been, he's never had an elite QB. The closest he had was probably the year that Owens elevated McNabb, and this year from Smith. But even in those cases they were streaky (McNabb choked in the superbowl, Smith put together maybe 12 games worth of elite football and 5 games worth of bad football.) If Mahomes turns out as good as he can turn out, he can take Reid's offenses to a new level. Getting pass happy at times becomes less of a problem if your QB is an Aaron Rodgers, or even a Phillip Rivers, kind of talent.

2 hours ago, valkrei said:

The easy fix is this. Clark tell him your offensive coordinator calls the plays 100% of the time. Done deal.  And as far as on field and off field behavior, get it under control.  Oh and fire Sutton.  These changes get us another 1-3 wins.

Agreed here. Basically a summary of the issues that I do have with this team's coaching staff. I kind of hoped that Veach coming in as an outsider would help some of these situations, honestly. Doesn't look like it so far.

Chiefs are the opposite of the Patriots in the playoffs. They find ways to lose, they know they're going to lose and they do whatever they can to make this happen. New England, knows they'll win and it shows.

Honestly 1-11 in last 12 playoff games is more than personnel, coaching, luck whatever. It's a tradition, one that whoever they have on the field seem more than happy to uphold. God damn painful to be a fan of this team sometimes.