Why aren't the Chiefs playing in the NFL Conference Championships?

mayanfootball

Well they are going to have to do an amazing job and bring in some new talent if that is the case.

There are D coordinators that can adjust to injuries and having average players and still field a good defense, Sutton obviously isn’t that.  

On 1/22/2018 at 10:03 PM, mayanfootball said:

Defender Bob isn't going to suddenly change his stripes and vault our defense to unimaginable heights. Andy and Defender Bob are best friends. Andy always supports his friends even if they're the most incompetent.

'nuf said.

3 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

'nuf said.

With the rule changes, it's highly unlikely that there will ever be a defense like the 2000 Ravens or 2002 Bucs. The game is too offense friendly.

Our DC has had our defense be 7th to 2nd best in scoring four out of the last five years. This year, the fifth year, we became average at 15th. We lost our best defender and playmaker in Berry. We also lost Ford who became a legit pass rushing threat opposite Houston until his injury. No defense will hold up losing two players like that.

No new DC coming in and putting Bailey, Logan, RNR, and Jones (or whoever you suggested previously) in a four man DL front is going to fix that.

3 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

With the rule changes, it's highly unlikely that there will ever be a defense like the 2000 Ravens or 2002 Bucs. The game is too offense friendly.

Our DC has had our defense be 7th to 2nd best in scoring four out of the last five years. This year, the fifth year, we became average at 15th. We lost our best defender and playmaker in Berry. We also lost Ford who became a legit pass rushing threat opposite Houston until his injury. No defense will hold up losing two players like that.

No new DC coming in and putting Bailey, Logan, RNR, and Jones (or whoever you suggested previously) in a four man DL front is going to fix that.

I don’t disagree Sutton can field a good defense, I will disagree that defenses can’t overcome the loss of a couple of their good players though.  

My biggest issue with Sutton is he uses his best players to mask a deficiency in the D.  Houston was essentially playing a spy role all season with our ILBs lack of range and worse coverage on TE’s.  Peters was playing off coverage the majority of the year(something he is not very good at) to mask the fact we have to roll a safety over to the other side so much.

It’s a net loss when you having something great but misuse it to cover up for something below average.  Let your stars do what they do best and make plays.

8 hours ago, samsel23 said:

I don’t disagree Sutton can field a good defense, I will disagree that defenses can’t overcome the loss of a couple of their good players though.  

My biggest issue with Sutton is he uses his best players to mask a deficiency in the D.  Houston was essentially playing a spy role all season with our ILBs lack of range and worse coverage on TE’s.  Peters was playing off coverage the majority of the year(something he is not very good at) to mask the fact we have to roll a safety over to the other side so much.

It’s a net loss when you having something great but misuse it to cover up for something below average.  Let your stars do what they do best and make plays.

This this this. If a great player gets hurt, yeah, you take a downgrade at that position. When a great player on our D gets hurt, we downgrade at that position and like 3 others that they were covering up for. DJ gets hurt (or declines) and we find out we're only good at defending RBs in the pass game because DJ is a beast. Lose Berry and we find our how much he compensates for talent and gap issues in the front 7. Lose Houston and it turns out no one else on the left side of the defense does anything in run defense. Etc. Sutton can't scheme us into favorable matchups or winnable matchups without elite talents that can single-handedly erase elements of an opposing offense. He also doesn't do too much to confuse the opposing offense either which compounds on this (we're really really man coverage heavy by current NFL standards.)

Go back a couple of years and we only had to worry about this when an injury occurred. Now some of those elites are just straight declining too. Makes it far more concerning.

6 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

The issue I take with this article is it assumes that PFF grades are purely representative of how talented the players are, and that isn't the case. PFF is results based. So if our D is getting gashed in the run game, whether that's because of individual matchups being lost or Sutton's scheming, the players up front are going to get graded poorly for that. Parker, Sorensen, RNR, Logan, and Ford are all players listed as poor in that article, but they've all played well in the past. So he's suggesting that they each became bad players, effectively. The more logical conclusion is poor scheme or the players being misused.

21 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

The issue I take with this article is it assumes that PFF grades are purely representative of how talented the players are, and that isn't the case. PFF is results based. So if our D is getting gashed in the run game, whether that's because of individual matchups being lost or Sutton's scheming, the players up front are going to get graded poorly for that. Parker, Sorensen, RNR, Logan, and Ford are all players listed as poor in that article, but they've all played well in the past. So he's suggesting that they each became bad players, effectively. The more logical conclusion is poor scheme or the players being misused.

I do agree that PFF grades are not perfect. But it can give an idea. I think we can all agree that Parker and Sorensen played worse this year than in previous years. Same with Ford as little as he played. Logan was suppose to get back to his 2015 form going back to the 3-4 but that didn't happen. RNR I thought played well.

2018 will be interesting for sure. Hopefully Mahomes can put up points like he did in college.

8 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Parker, Sorensen and Ford are poor players. RNR and Logan are the misused player IMO. Ford hurt his back and is now on the way out of the NFL. Our Safety players can't cover the medium and deep balls. That's why KC gave up the 2nd. most pass completions of 40+ yards in the NFL. Parker and Sorensen are also abysmal tacklers.

And you are correct about Sutton's inability to scheme. He insists on playing 3-4 but hasn't the LB's to make it work properly. That and he insists on pushing Houston off into coverage, taking away his pass rushing abilities. I can still see Houston struggling vainly to catch up to Antonio Brown down the sideline

39 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

Parker, Sorensen and Ford are poor players. RNR and Logan are the misused player IMO. Ford hurt his back and is now on the way out of the NFL. Our Safety players can't cover the medium and deep balls. That's why KC gave up the 2nd. most pass completions of 40+ yards in the NFL. Parker and Sorensen are also abysmal tacklers.

And you are correct about Sutton's inability to scheme. He insists on playing 3-4 but hasn't the LB's to make it work properly. That and he insists on pushing Houston off into coverage, taking away his pass rushing abilities. I can still see Houston struggling vainly to catch up to Antonio Brown down the sideline

Parker and Sorensen were also misused.  Parker is a good safety when he is playing closer and covering TE’s.  He’s not as good  playing deep, he needs to be around the ball.

Sorensen is average at a lot of things, but not good at any one(aside from maybe blitzing).  Personal opinion but we needed to put Murray back in Berry’s deep role and leave Parker and Sorensen at the normal roles.  Sure we get quite a bit worse at deep S, but we already did by putting Parker back there.  Which goes back to my point of misusing the talent, we got worse at 3 spots instead of just one.

Archived